Marantz 4270 newest victim

Ah yes, I did look in the SM but did not see that brief note in section 20. Thanks for pointing that out. Let's see how close I can get.

It does come out of protection but I didn't want to hook up any speakers to it with that kind of DC offset.

Yes there is, I assumed you tried that first. Either R713 or R714.

SM is at:
http://akdatabase.com/AKview/albums/Marantz/Marantz 4270 Service Manual.pdf

Can I be the first to call you a genius? Followed the SM instructions (once you pointed them out) and was able to get offset to nearly zero on both front channels with the rear switch set to 2 channel mode. Haven't tried 4 channel mode yet.

Hooked up a disposable set of speakers - this thing rocks. Tons of horsepower.

FM tuning is off somewhat though.Dial reads about 2 mhz low. Can I just move the needle on the string to make it match up?

Thanks for the great advice!

Thanks, I'll check up on that this evening. Never use AM so didn't think to check.

edit: AM looks right on. Checking the other thread for fixing FM.

more: got it pretty darn close.

Last edited:
Finished the 4270 tonight when the filter caps came in, first ones I ordered were too tall (been checking the diameter, I guess I'll have to check the height now also!). Sounds great, looks good in the wood case, going to hook it up in place of the 4070 tomorrow and take a picture for AK. Thanks for your help AK ... Rich
The 4270 never came with a metal top, atleast the two I've seen and the one I own didn't. The wood case IS the case for the unit.

My 4270 has a metal case....no wood case.

I know this is a zombie thread, but how's the comparison between the 4270 and 4070? I luuuuuurrrrrrvvvveee my 4270. Got it and accidentally did the no-no turn the switch in the back while powered up and hauled it, broken, from Chicago to New Orleans to Oakland and finally got it fixed out here. Totally worth it. There's a 4070 available at a reasonable price and I'm half thinking of picking it up if it's a clone of the 4270 without the tuner (which I literally have never used) just to have a spare in case my main squeeze craps out one day. Or to put in the office... or bedroom... or give to a friend on a long term loan just because I'm that kind of guy. (Did that with a Sansui 881 and a pair of Mirage OMD-5's to different friends.)

As far as I know the 4140 is the 4270 clone. 4140 guts also look like the 4270 amp section. The 4070 is 4x15W, the 4140 4x25W just like the 4270. Both the 4140 and 4070 look good though.

I know the post is old, but I'm also asking for advice. in europe i can buy a 4270 or 2250B for about 500 dollars. Otherwise, I am not inclined to QADs and I need a receiver strictly for ordinary stereo. Is it worth buying a stronger QUAD that is unfortunately defective, but in excellent visual condition?

I know the post is old, but I'm also asking for advice. in europe i can buy a 4270 or 2250B for about 500 dollars. Otherwise, I am not inclined to QADs and I need a receiver strictly for ordinary stereo. Is it worth buying a stronger QUAD that is unfortunately defective, but in excellent visual condition?

‘Greetings

Owned many systems including a 4270. Got it free 10 yrs ago. While I liked it, there is a lot of circuits in it. Four amplifiers. Sold it as it needed a total recap. Get the 2250B. Fewer parts inside and less to go wrong. That 2250 has plenty of power. Also sold off a 2270. With efficient speakers I have adequate power. Replaced that 4270 with a 2010, 10 watts. Changed speakers to JBL Decade 26s with small Pioneers on the back. Sounds great. Have 3 turntables hooked to this receiver. My biggest Marantz is a 2220B. Twenty watts. Paired to a second pair of Decade 26s. Still have a small Marantz Quad 4415. 15 watts. Drives a pr of JBL 100 with AR 4AX on the rear. Stay withstereo. That 2250 is a good unit. Much easier to service. 53A04BF8-84E3-47DC-A003-80B7C1E84945.jpeg Picture of livingroom set. Have own 50 systems this sounds best. Love my Dusl tables

‘Greetings

Owned many systems including a 4270. Got it free 10 yrs ago. While I liked it, there is a lot of circuits in it. Four amplifiers. Sold it as it needed a total recap. Get the 2250B. Fewer parts inside and less to go wrong. That 2250 has plenty of power. Also sold off a 2270. With efficient speakers I have adequate power. Replaced that 4270 with a 2010, 10 watts. Changed speakers to JBL Decade 26s with small Pioneers on the back. Sounds great. Have 3 turntables hooked to this receiver. My biggest Marantz is a 2220B. Twenty watts. Paired to a second pair of Decade 26s. Still have a small Marantz Quad 4415. 15 watts. Drives a pr of JBL 100 with AR 4AX on the rear. Stay withstereo. That 2250 is a good unit. Much easier to service. View attachment 2871836 Picture of livingroom set. Have own 50 systems this sounds best. Love my Dusl tables
thanks for the advice, that's what I thought, but I was attracted to the looks of the 4270.

Back
Top Bottom