Marantz 4400 at Garage Sale

mech986

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
OOOOHHHHH SH******TTTT!

I promise never to withhold information again.

After seeing a couple of posts regarding a philly Craigslist ad for equipment, I had a quick look at one here in L.A.

Found the following ad:

Pack Rat Cleaning Nest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to:
Date: 2004-05-19, 11:24PM PDT

Pack-Rat is moving- need to sell lots of great & new stuff to empty old nest- NEW clocks, older Aurora Color Clock (as in Museum of Modern Art), computer equip. & software, vcrs, toys, gifts, books, magazines, 8' x 13' wall graphic of Roman/Egyptian temple, vintage 70s & 80s men's clothing (size ranges large to XXL), t-shirts, caps (some with solar fans), cooling neck bands, LPs, CDs, cassettes, VHS tapes, laserdiscs, reel-to-reel tapes, Sony turntable, Sony reel-to-reel tapecorder 260, Stereo and FM headphones, Cool-mist fans, .2 Marantz 4400 Quadraphonic Receivers (one with remote control),[/B, Koss Sound Enhancement system (incl. speakers), Zenith 100" CRT Front Video Projector, 10' x 8' projection screen in black anodized frame, 4 RSL (Roger Sound Labs) 3-way 12" MAX speakers, 1978 Ford Mustang II 2+2 six-cyl. hatchback (black- needs work), 2 U-Matic 3/4 inch VCRs (need repairs), IBM Selectric (12 pitch) typewriter with 6 ribbons (needs repairs), Lawnmower (used once), edger (used once), Weedwacker (used once), Household cleaning liquids, Office and folding chairs, Patio chairs, Park bench, walnut bookcases (72" tall),
Brand new wood CD rack (holds 600), Comfy great condition sectional couch unit- will sell together or in sections, a dozen beautiful striking white rectangular matching track lights (Halo), 2 RSL (RogerSoundLabs) indoor/outdoor speakers, Sony 21" Color TV, Magnavox 19" color tv, Magnavox Laser Disc Player, plus LOTS more. Nothing for a dollar! Bring lots of cash- go home with furnishings for your entire house. Everything sold as is. SATURDAY, MAY 22, 2004. Starting time is 8 AM. Please do not disturb residents' sleep]

I emailed the seller on Friday morning trying to get a response and maybe make an advance offer to snag the 4400's. Didn't get a message till this morning, to wit:

Subject: re: your garage sale Marantz 4400 items
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 23:23:15 -0700

I'm not on internet vintage stereo boards, but am interested. Could you suggest some sites?

Sorry, but both Marantz 4400s went for $125 each. I threw in the quad remote control for free.

----Original Message Follows----
To:
Subject: re: your garage sale Marantz 4400 items
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 00:48:33 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,
Saw your ad on Craigslist. What will you be asking for
the Marantz 4400's? Are you part of any of the Internet
vintage stereo discussion boards?
Thanks in advance for the reply. I'll see what I can do
to get out there or maybe make an offer beforehand?
Regards,
Bart
La Habra

Sometimes you just don't want to know, makes the agony so much worse!!! At least I turned him on to Audiokarma, maybe we'll see him here later.

I did catch up with a long lost friend whose husband was selling tube stereo amps (not one that interested me unfortunately).

I promise I'll post these for our local friends if I find them quickly enough.

Regards,

Bart

Real bummer. Just the RC-4 Remote is worth the 125.00. Hey at least ya tried.

I usually don't mess with garage sales, but saw one in paper that said STEREOS, and it wasn't too far away, so I went over early Sat morn.

Real nice black plastic crap!

Went home all dejected:mad:

(Sorry, but both Marantz 4400s went for $125 each. I threw in the quad remote control for free.)

Oh man!
:pity:

I got lucky and scored a 4400 for $30 at the local thirft, sans remote but with the SQ adaptor. Near Mint. Sold it to a guy in Washington State for 1 grand!!!

Part of the proceedings went to my next restoration, a Marantz 8B that I snatched for $660!!!

Best regards,

crooner

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom