Marantz 4400 no lights.....?

Lights.......camera....action!

Check if you can find the bridge......
Looks factory don't'it!..............man I hope this is the problem. I have continuity between JF05 and JF06.....there shouldn't be.....according to scat.

Attachments

• IMG_5169.jpg
    IMG_5169.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 30
Bk, Jk......the big question is IF this solder boo boo is my problem............could the booboo give the problems I have experienced?

I always end up with the severe basket cases! Oh oh....here comes wife........:)

YEEHAAAA!,,,,!!! Whoopin'n a'tootin........normal audio!.......in ALL modes!,,,,,,,,thanks guys!, friggin awesome.......will post a few pics with scope running too.

Bk...hahaha...great......I studied that board on Ebay too........I was actually close to buying it!

Bingo has been called! Glad it's working now, those 4400's are a nightmare to diagnose. Guess the QA department skipped this unit on out the door, very frustrating.

Here are a couple of pictures with the unit running in quad mode and stereo mode. The scope indication is now as per the UM! YEY. I tested one channel at a time....front and rear.......I got all the normal 'spikes' in all 4 corners.

Funny....this unit has not functioned normally since day 1........Marantz QC...iffy or what?

Scope is a bit dim.....I have the brightness set at 75-80%..........

Attachments

• IMG_5177.jpg
    IMG_5177.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5178.jpg
    IMG_5178.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 25
That's not dim. You don't want them full blast or they can damage the phospor. And to top it off that's a blue tube, not a green one- even more difficult to find a replacement. When the scope tube is shot the only way to see it is with the lights turned off. If you can see the scope with the lights on then it's a good tube. My 2500 tube acts the same way, to really enjoy it the room has to be pretty dark. I can see it in the daytime however it isn't detailed from far away.

So it's working correctly? Yes....

Can I say "diode matrix solder bridge" one more time? :D

Last edited:
The unit has been playing for a few hours. All modes and STEREO are working normally. Bias and dc-offset have been set. The right side seems a bit warmer than the left side.....is this bcause of the PS?

Scope is working nicely too.

I will let the unit play all day at various levels to see if everything holds-up. Should be good.

Although this is my third 4400 recap.....I gotta say that the 4400 is the least fun unit to work on ...big, complicated and touchy......BUT, when working it is awesome. A true classic.

Bk.......I noticed a slight snap/chirp when I turn the unit OFF. If I have the speaker switch OFF, I dont hear anything. Can something be done about the slight turn-off-chirp?

All else is normal and running nicely

Dc offset is set to spec...0v on all channels....bias is set to 12mV all channels. Both relays work fine. The snap ONLY happens if the speaker selector is ON.....and THEN you turn OFF the unit.(Relays connected at turn OFF I guess).
I can see on the scat that there is a combined cap/resistor G001 on(or near...maybe its at the rear of the unit somewhere) the power switch. Could it be this component? I have had a similar problem with another unit, where I changed this cap/resistor component and the snap went away.

With unit ON........there are no snaps when using(turning ON and OFF) either main or remote speaker switches. ONLY when the unit is turned OFF, with either main/remote selected....is there a slight snap.

Here's the thing......WHERE the heck is the G001????? It is listed in the SM on page 46.......'printed comp 0.1uf + 120 ohm'.......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom