Marantz 4415 Lamp Circuit Troubleshooting Questions

Pioneer Vir

While waiting for some transistors to come in to finish up a Fisher 200T FM strength meter problem I pulled a Marantz 4415 out of the closet that I picked up a while ago. Several lamps are out and I figured that's as good a place as any to start. Ordered replacement fuse LEDs, bi-polar LEDs and a dial pointer lamp. All five of the main dial LEDs, the Strength Signal LED and the Stereo indication bulb (not replaced) are working correctly. The Quad indicator, the AM and FM function indicators and the dial lamp are not working. I have ran thru all of the switch settings to ensure everything was lined up correctly with no change.

The P800 Power Supply has had the 220uF and 470uF capacitors replaced - everything else on the board is original. The following are the voltage readings I'm getting on the P800 board:

J801 - 35.6 volts
J802 - 6.8 volts
J803 - 48.9 volts
J804 - 0 volts
J805 - 0 volts
J806 - (minus) -6.9mV
J807 - 8.4 volts
J808 - 0 volts
J809 - 13.5 volts
J810 - 2.2 mV

From the schematic it looks like P800 J805, reading 0 volts, feeds into the P980 (lamp board) J981 and I'm reading 0 volts at P980 J981. It looks like this is a common path for the AM indicator, the FM indicator and the dial pointer. The stereo indicator has a separate path, reads 6.2 volts at P980 J988 and is working correctly.

I lifted up the P800 Power Supply board and read the voltage at the C804 (470uF) positive lead and it's reading 9.2 volts which tells me that the capacitor is working correctly. I looked at all of the traces on the bottom of the board and didn't see anything visible that would indicate any type of breakdown or failure between C804 (reading 9.2 volts) and J805 (reading 0 volts). It still looks like some type of problem on the board that I just can't see.

I'm a Marantz newbie - this is my first one - and I don't know if there are any know tips or tricks associated with the Marantz light circuits or if I'm just missing something here. Any thoughts or recommendations for further troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated!

Don

Attachments

• Marantz 4415 Lamp Circuit.jpg
    Marantz 4415 Lamp Circuit.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 8
J805 connects to ground...right? If so, that would explain the 0 volt reading. So isn’t J805 connecting those bulbs to ground and the hot side coming through S002 and S001? Maybe these bulbs are fed via J807 (8.4v) through S002 and S001. It’s confusing for sure, and I’m a relative noob, so not sure. Hopefully someone who actually knows what they are talking about will chime in. :biggrin:
Steve

I haven't had any time to look at it again. I have not looked at any of the switches or wiring yet either to see if there might be a problem there. On second look at the schematic I think you're right about J805 connecting to ground. I need to do some signal tracing on this I think. 100% open to any recommendations or thoughts though!

Don

I would be checking J982, J 983 and J984 as you go through the input selections. Maybe put mode selection in 2 channel (while unit is off) before testing. Looks to me like the power goes through those two switches.

Fixed. Bad R809 (0.5 ohms / 3 watts) on P800 power supply board. Nothing visible to show it was bad. Checking components in the non-working path and discovered it bad. All lamps now working correctly. Yay!

Don

Back
Top Bottom