Marantz 500 front door: possible group order?

cchean

OK, not sure how to start this, but...

I have been in touch with Tony, from JTNS, he is the same guy that makes the brass knob caps for the Fisher amps and preamps. I told him how scarce the Marantz 500 front door is and that many Marantz 500 in existence are missing this part. He told me it should not be hard to duplicate the front door but, ideally, he would need an actual part to copy the measurements and other details. So now I have two questions:

1. is there any one here that would be willing to lend this part for a couple of weeks so that a replica could be made?

2. is there a reasonable number of 500 owners that would want this part, besides me?

I am not affiliated with Tony or his business in any way, nor am I making any profit out of it, except that I am a previous customer that bought some brass caps from him and I can atest it is a quality product. He might give me a discount for providing the idea and I'm pretty sure he would do the same for whoever lends the part. Please let me know your thoughts.

Gee, this looks simple to make. The hardest part would be to find the correct thickness aluminum sheet (metric is still harder to find) and the right type of aluminum alloy to match the face plate color. The handle looks like painted square rod (I'm guessing also aluminum) or maybe it's a black anodized finish. I wouldn't stamp these pieces but use a water jet cutter.

Attachments

• Marantz 500 door.jpg
    Marantz 500 door.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 93
The most difficult part about making this part would be matching the color of the anodized plate. Since most of these are about 40 years-old, the clear anodize plating will change color.

Otherwise, the part looks like it could be easily reproduced. Somebody measure the parts and make a drawing, I'll crank some out for a few bucks a pop. Can't guarantee the color will match on the clear anodize.

I wouldn't mind making a door from plexiglass with perhaps a nice ebony or mahogney handle; but we would still need the fastner hardware. They look like a standard fastners to me. Does anyone know of a source for this kind of fastener?
If we can duplicate the original, though, I'm in for one. I see no point if they won't be very close to the original, though.

I wouldn't mind making a door from plexiglass with perhaps a nice ebony or mahogney handle; but we would still need the fastner hardware. They look like a standard fastners to me. Does anyone know of a source for this kind of fastener?
If we can duplicate the original, though, I'm in for one. I see no point if they won't be very close to the original, though.

Found the fasteners on ebay just search Tube amp cage post.

Attachments

• Tube amp cage post.jpg
    Tube amp cage post.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 53
Sorry for disappearing guys... It's time to update this thread.

Tony was able to finish a prototype which looks darn good, will post pics soon. Since he does not own a Marantz 500 amp, I'll let him use miine for testing purposes.

He hasn't figured out pricing yet, but maybe I can talk him into making an AK group buy...

Pics of prototype

I think it turned out really nice and this is not even the final version yet!

Attachments

• m_DSC03165.jpg
    m_DSC03165.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 82
  • m_DSC03161.jpg
    m_DSC03161.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 75
  • m_DSC03164.jpg
    m_DSC03164.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 70
I definitely could use one, at the right price... maybe even two.
I heard an original one went for $200 on eBay recently.
Buy one, and put the original in a 'safe' place, right?
But wait, isn't that how all these doors went missing in the first plase?
Where is that 'safe' place anyway???
Pricing and ETA, please...

Back
Top Bottom