Marantz 500 on the curbside!

Arkay

Lunatic Member
Okay, maybe that title was slightly misleading: I didn't pick one up free from the curbside, and I don't own one yet, but I did see one sitting there alone on the curbside, and I may end up owning it, yet! Please read on for the whole story...:D

I posted a few weeks back about seeing a Marantz 500 amp in a shop. The guy there said it was definitely NOT for sale. It had just been bought in for repair. It was a bit of a thrill just to see one of these --it was a lot bigger than I had envisioned-- but also a disappointment that I didn't even have a chance to try to buy it.

Tonight I happened to be walking down the same road which that shop is on, on the other side of the street and about half a block further along it. I saw this BIG thing sitting on the sidewalk/curb edge in front of me, with its back towards me. I walked closer, looked and it was ... a Marantz 500!

As I stood there, slack-jawed and staring, trying not to drool on it, a guy bounded around the other side of the van parked near it, came over and picked it up, and began loading it into the van. [I tell you, white vans have GOOD stuff here! :D ]

Turns out it was the same 500 I had seen before, all repaired now and being picked up. I was just lucky to have come along at that moment; otherwise I probably would never have seen it again. I asked the guy if it was for sale, and he said "No, it belongs to my boss. It's not for sale right now." Keying in on the "right now" part, I asked how I would go about getting it when it was for sale, and he asked me why I asked. I said I collected Marantz stuff, but didn't have this model yet and would like to add it to my collection (true enough).

He took down my number and said he'd pass my message on to the boss, also commenting that the guy had a bunch of them! I asked, "A bunch of 500's, or a bunch of other models?" The guy's answer was ambiguous (sorry, we were speaking Chinese and I can't translate exactly) but it suggested he had other Marantz and other-brand stuff (not necessarily another 500) - just "a lot of very good gear".

An hour or two later, I got a phone call from a guy who was apparently the owner (boss). After introductions, he asked how much I'd pay for the 500. I said I really wasn't sure what I should pay for one, and asked him to name his price. [Seems to me he isn't too eager to sell it, but is willing to do so for a decent price.] Then he said he had a lot of other gear, saying the other stuff was BETTER than the 500. He said a lot of it was rare or hard-to-find stuff. If the 500 is an example, I believe him. LOL He claims to be a collector, not a dealer, but it seemed he was suggesting I might be interested in buying some of the other stuff, more than the 500. [Possible, but not very likely! :D] So then I'm imagining the better stuff must be the likes of Krell, Bryston, Pass, Moon, Levinson, etc... but he then names some brands (sorry, can't remember exactly which ...maybe Luxman was in there, or Pioneer?) that I didn't think would necessarily be any better, if as good. :scratch2: Hhhhhmmmm....

He didn't name a price, but left the door open for me to think about it and call him back when I had decided how much I'd pay for it. It is possible he knows exactly what it is worth, and is hoping I'll be a nutty and rich collector who will give him an outrageously high price for it. It is equally possible that he doesn't know what it is worth, got it cheaply several years back, and is willing to sell if there is a decent profit in it, so it could still be a reasonable bargain(?). He has little to lose if I make an offer first. Of course, I want him to name a price first. Initial deadlock of two less-than-stupid negotiators. We'll get to prices eventually, but the dance won't be a quick-step.

I'm not too cash-flush right now (already spent my audio budget for the month, and then some), so the prices these things have reached in the most recent eBay sales is out of my budget right now. I lost most of my income last year, have had some expenses, and while things have started improving lately a little, I'm still being thrifty and budgeting my audio purchases very carefully. I think I'll need to sell of some other gear, before spending on something as expensive as this is likely to be. On the good side, it is not in a store and not being marketed, so it will probably "wait" a little while for me. I have a decent shot at ending up owning this, I think.

I'm thinking of waiting a week or so before calling him back (which gives me time to get at least some cash ready, in case his price is cheaper than I fear and closer to what I hope/wish) then playing the angle of seeing the other stuff he has, as well... make myself seem a little less interested in the 500 per se, and hopefully getting a chance to get to know him and what he is thinking, a little better, before we talk "real" figures. I do want the 500, absolutely, but I will not pay the kind of money that last one or two to sell on eBay went for. I don't mind paying well over the most I've ever paid for audio gear (so far) for this particular piece, and knowing that it will retain good resale value for a while, I'm not afraid to pay a chunk of change for it, but not TOO much.

I am aware of the tendency of the 500 to "self destruct", and while this one has just been repaired by a very experienced (decades in the business, handling good stuff) tech, I'll make sure firsthand that it is still in good shape internally (not "hacked" back into funcitonality with replacement transformers or anything like that) before buying it. In fact, once a price is established and I plan to buy it, I'll probably ask the repairman what was done to it.

My aim would be to use my 3650 preamp with this, probably along with the 300 DC in a bi-amping set-up. Not sure if it is safe to pair these with the Infinty RS-III or Dahlquist DQ-12s, as they are "amp killers" and I'm not sure if these amps can handle the low impedances, but if so, that's what I would use them with as first choice.

Any suggestions on negotiating tactics, price levels, etc... for this would be welcome. I want to end up with this amp, at a price I am satisfied with, and I don't have a first-born child nor much of a soul left to offer. The guy may well read this thread and chuckle, etc... for all I know, but that's okay. I'll buy it or not, depending 98 percent on whether we can reach a mutually satisfactory price. If he reads here, he'll already know what these sell for elsewhere already; if he doesn't, then the thread and potential "risk" is moot (except to me). Thanks!

First stop for me would be the repair shop to see what information you can get as to its condition and what was done. While the tech may be knowledgeable and really good he may have been hamstrung by the owner to just get it to make music to move it or to repair as good as possible but the unit has had so much work on it half the pc traces on the boards have lifted and it is a complate patch job. You never know.

As for value, have no clue but I think it will depend somewhat on the above. As for quality of sound well, I can not say that I rank the Marantz amps as high on my list. I agree there are better and suspect for less money as the 500 is a grail for Marantz collectors (not necessarily for music lovers) and does not go cheap.

Think about what you currently have that you would be willing to part with. Maybe you can work out some kind of a trade with this guy. Who knows, you might have something he wants. Talk to him about his "collection" and see if he is interested in any of your stuff.
Do as much research about the price trends on the 500 (in your area) as you can. Maybe your contact at the repair shop could be helpful here. He may also know something about this guy and be able to provide useful information.

Establish for yourself, the maximum price you are willing to pay. This is it's value to you. If you can obtain it for something less than that, you got a good deal. If not, it wasn't worth it to you.
Good Luck!!
Tim

Your baseline for buying the 500 is how much $$$ he paid for the repair. Find out what the shop/tech did, mention to him the likely repair(s) done at the shop and the $$$ involved, and you establish your bona fide credentials. The game then becomes one of finding out how much money he has tied up in it, and how much profit he wants to make.

If you mention he probably had the output caps replaced, a couple electrolytics swapped out, and the speaker connections replaced for $110(being dead on because you know what was done,) then he may be inclined to recognize you as a knowledgable peer who deserves a break, rather than a weasel who needs to be shanked.

It seems like a good starting point that he considers the 500 to be one of the lesser pieces in his collection. If you can go in to the conversation with the same viewpoint, you'll have a freshly benched 500 for a good price. Good luck!

So I am in the process of going through my 500 right now. I have read through the service manual many many times.... While being dated in its design...as it is from the early 70s, the mechanical and electrical design is world class. The components used are some of the best I have seen....they were not cheap.

If the unit you saw was recapped....I hope it was with as good quality as the original parts. The design is such that there are no Electrolytics in the signal path. The wire gauge is excellent...the quality of the PC boards are of the highest. There are only a very few weaknesses I can find with the construction.

With that said....this was not designed for serviceability....there is nothing modular or easy about it. Their are plenty of trim pots and trim resistors that are soldered in place. Some parts are easy to replace and do not required much in the way of calibration....others require an in depth process.... Combine the mechanical complexities with the electrical complexities....and I can see why these units had issues.... If someone is a quick fix tech...and slap in some new parts in some areas of the unit that needs to be trimmed....it could be a real issue. With that said the 500 has many tests in the manual that are way beyond the typical Manatz of that time. I plan on performing all the tests before and after the work I perform on it.

The only major thing I plan on doing is checking every output transistor and matching them. Some of the outputs were replaced on mine just prior to me buying it. So I want to double check and match the outputs. Also check all components that may have be replaced....but I only think it was a few outputs. Also there are two glass dipped tantalum caps...you know the cheap ones, only two of them...that were added to the amp circuits as an after thought...those should be replaced no matter what. They were already replaced on mine.

I saw one non working 500 go for 900$ on Ebay.....honestly I am some what glad I did not buy it....the meters were shot.... what good would it be if it had a burnt transformer.... Then again I would not have minded trying to bring it back to life....

It has tons of dampening ( over 400 ) and can pound out 500 plus wpc into 4 ohms.... with 100,000 uF of capacitance in the power supply and 2.2kwatt transformer....it was designed to deliver power. Hopefully no one replaced the output or input jacks on the one you saw....their is no reason to replace those items... If you are serious about getting one.... Buy the manuals first, both the users and service manual. That will educate you on the complexity of these units. Some of parts are just plain impossible to find.... when I bought mine the seller had two spare meters....

Oh, when you see one for the first time...the feeling is only surpassed by trying to pick it up and carry it....

jk

Back
Top Bottom