Salbreth1

Hey guys,

Its been a while but I'm starting a build on this guy and thought you might be interested. This unit was running when before I received it, but things are never that easy. When I powered it up there was an immediate smoke storm and it popped the 15 amp fuse. Challenge accepted.

0209171047.jpg

Hey,can I add my worthless two cents in here too! I think that amp needs fixing - eh?

I'm not familiar with the 500 but it looks interesting.

Buckle up boys because it's going to be a bumpy ride.

There's a lot of popcorn in this room. Ill order more...

So I discovered the problem. I assume the bottom cover was off before I got it because a wire was caught between the cover and chassis coming from the inrush relay to the 30w resistor. Took out the fuse but that's it. The resistor blew out the side but oddly enough, its still good. Something tell me the resistor was like this already.

So I reattached things and brought it up slow. Lucky me, all is well. I went through the PITA adjustment procedure and everything regulated nicley! One driver board has a few different transistors on it and 2 caps replaced but everything else is original. Some of the traces on the replaced parts are a little rough. But this thing is gonna get the royal treatment and sing beautiful melodies once again. :music:

Something tells me this resistor has seen better days.

0215172050.jpg

Last edited:
i am sure, Sal, that you will do a fantastic job on this bad machine:thumbsup:

Think it will put your 300dc to shame??

The amp boards look good, everything is original. I plan to replace all the outputs as per the service bulliten. Looks like two were replaced on one channel as well as a driver.
0217171208a.jpg

So just got back to this and finished the relay board, mostly. All TO-92s, diodes and capacitors were replaced. The relay contacts are in great shape so I put a mirror back on them and soldered them back in. Somehow I deleted the 8200uf caps from my cart so I'm waiting for them... Amplifiers are next!

14888988204801566164205.jpg
0306171250.jpg
0306171318.jpg

Attachments

• 0306171318.jpg
    0306171318.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 8
One channel stripped and cleaned. Pots flushed and lubed. The few resistors I'm leaving are dead on, but all the carbons are out as well as the emitter resistors.

0308171346.jpg

0308171342a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom