Marantz 500 Restoration, Here we go...

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Salbreth1, Feb 15, 2017.

1. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

WHAT TO-92s are you using for replacements? What Diodes?
    The worst part of working on these is those damn Motorola part numbers that don't cross reference.

Please share your replacement parts list. If they are not standard modern replacement parts, where are you getting them?

2. Hipocrates

Hipocrates AK Subscriber Subscriber

3. Salbreth1

Salbreth1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'v cross refrerenced every transistor in these units myself using the original data sheet info to find new subs. It takes some time but my subs are pretty close. Most of them are used in the 1200b and 250s and I've rebuilt enough of them to know they work nicely. Ill get a list together.

The heat sinks are looking good. I converted the to-66 to to-220. The leads fit very snug into the original pin holes so no modification needed.

1489083701674101517003.jpg

4. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

I don't remember even being able to find the original parts data sheets.

That air tunnel is remarkably clean. Either this amp has low hours or you did an amazing job of scrubbing it up (or it lived in a very clean place).

5. Salbreth1

It had the typical 40 Years of dust inside. The first pic I posted was after I blew it out, still pretty dirty. But after I scrubbed it and installed the new outputs, it literally looks new. The fan was caked up too but it also cleaned up well.

14891141204971168667532.jpg

6. rBuckner

rBuckner Luv 2 Restore Subscriber

If the fan is too noisy there's a very nice ball bearing "ebmpabst" fan with ball bearings that is an improvement.

Hipocrates likes this.
  7. Salbreth1

Thanks Randy, We will see when I fire it up. I'm going to disassemble and clean it out. There is no lateral movement and it spins smoothly.

8. Mag84ilfully

Mag84ilfully Young in spirit. Subscriber

Enjoyable to watch this rebuild :lurk: Am I right, Blaine? :D

9. Salbreth1

New 50w resistor is in. I just drilled out the rivets and countersunk it from the back for some #8 flat heads. #6 would have made it easier but I can't justify running to home depot for 2 screws. o_O

0306171108.jpg 0309172247~2.jpg

quartz36 likes this.
  10. airtime

airtime Super Member

I love watching these rebuilds. Kind of like watching a auto accident in reverse?

Great work and even better research. Best of luck

KutzlerTrans likes this.
  11. Salbreth1

The amplifiers are finished! These came out very nice. 24 pins per side to finesse into place wasn't so bad. Doesn't matter how straight the leads are they still need to be tooled into place. The to-220s have to go in after the board is attached to the heat sink to seat them properly.

0310171419.jpg 0310171432.jpg 1489280099854233777337.jpg

12. Salbreth1

So the fan was pretty clean inside, the shaft and bronze bushing are free of defect so I applied a light oil and re assembled. It definitely spins smoother than before. Now I'm just assembling and cleaning things. The relay board is complete and back in. The driver boards at last.

0313171040_HDR.jpg 0313171242_HDR.jpg 0313171136_HDR.jpg

13. Mag84ilfully

Mag84ilfully Young in spirit. Subscriber

The full works! :lurk:

14. Salbreth1

New filters are in. FYI: the screw terminals on the original caps stand off 7mm. The new ones are 2.5mm . So depending on the replacement caps, the bus bars will have to be shimmed to prevent them from touching the chassis. longer hardware and two extra lock washers per screw worked for me. I'm pretty sure their 12/24 pan heads.

0313171405a_HDR.jpg

14894294484411241123794.jpg

mech986 and Hipocrates like this.
  15. Salbreth1

Well we got pounded with 20" of snow today! I thought we were done for the season :wtf:

Not all bad though, my son and I built a snow fort. He ate most of it lol. He's 2 and a half. Its all fun and games until he face plants into the snow!

Anyway, I have the A channel driver board in and regulated. Like the amps I replaced all of the lytics and changed out the old films for some new metalized poly films. All TO-92s were upgraded with new Fairchild devices and both boards are hfe matched to each other. New diodes, bourns pots and other goodies. I wanted to keep the TO-39s but one board was apparently blown and has newer RCA devices on it. I don't have a good sub for these yet so I might find some nos. Central Semi has the 2n3440 but their data sheets are funny. That and the IC is 50mA lower than the original devices. I don't think they have the 2n5415 at all. Ill have to do some homework.

14895464645921041017318.jpg

16. Salbreth1

So I ended up buying the 2n3440 and 2n5415 made by Central Semi. Digikey only has the 2n3440 and does not have a typical datasheet attached to it. It says the Ic = 20mA. Mouser sells both but only has the correct datasheet for the 2n5415 stating the Ic =1A. Weird. Microsemi has them available too but for $16 each. :yikes:

Littlediode only has the original Moto 3440s but $6 each on their ebay store.

I'm replacing these because the other driver board has a mix of Motorola and PH transistors. Who ever replaced them didnt use the insulators underneath them.

Other than that, I adjusted the amp even though I will have to do it again when I get the new trans. I was able to get the four test points on the driver boards within about 4mV of each other. I have two remote trimmers in for the bias resistor. The service manual calls for a max of 15 watts rise of power consumption per channel when measured with the resistor out and then in. Before I started channel A was good but channel B had a rise of 21 watts. I adjusted both sides for a rise of 14.5 watts.

Hipocrates likes this.
  17. Jailtime

Jailtime Standin' on a corner

What a monster, that is some seriously heavy wiring for the filters. Great work on the rebuild!

Salbreth1 likes this.
  18. fredmarantz

fredmarantz Well-Known Member

:lurk: - Gotta follow this. Looks very good.:thumbsup: What is the production number?

regards
    Freddy

19. tranguru

tranguru Active Member

Hi,

I will have to do the same restoration on my 500 - has been lying around for the last 15 years....
    I am really curious how you get on with it. I already have most the components. can you share which xtors you used to replace the original after the pre driver stages and which diodes you used for the temperature tracking (CR301 and CR302).
    for the power xtors I bought a ton of MJ15003/4 and need to match them with my Tek 577.
    I am very worried about stability on this amp ==> probably need xtors with same speed as they had back in those days.

Thanks
    Robin

20. KutzlerTrans

KutzlerTrans Jennie & I with Buddy and Barney. Subscriber

Nice Job Sal :thumbsup:

Salbreth1 likes this.