Marantz 500

"That would cost thousands" ......And a wife. I take it , JK, that your wife forgave your compulsive 500 collection disorder..:rant::D

Turning it up would stop the arguement as long as you lock the fusebox door.

Last edited:
You millennials need to set some higher goals... My generation got the moon and back in 8 years.... :)

I did this work over 8 years and have owned this for 10 years. Same time we took to get to the moon and back. But that is slacking off for me..... :D

Jk

You millennials need to set some higher goals... My generation got the moon and back in 8 years.... :)

I did this work over 8 years and have owned this for 10 years. Same time we took to get to the moon and back. But that is slacking off for me..... :D

Jk
Do you happen to know the number of 500's sold in the U.S. or have a guess how many were made? In my little stereo world no one has even seen one...

If we agree, that the serial#'s (as Marantz often did) started with 1001 (first unit) - I'd think that they made around 1000 units. I have followed the units for sale during the last 15 years and also the ones, that I have seen in real life (8 pieces) - none of them has a serial# over #2000. - never saw one. If anybody reading this thread - and if they have a 500 could show a #xxx over #2000, i'd be surpriced. The ones that I have recorded have serial#'s between appox #1400 and #2000.

Best regards
Freddy

If we agree, that the serial#'s (as Marantz often did) started with 1001 (first unit) - I'd think that they made around 1000 units. I have followed the units for sale during the last 15 years and also the ones, that I have seen in real life (8 pieces) - none of them has a serial# over #2000. - never saw one. If anybody reading this thread - and if they have a 500 could show a #xxx over #2000, i'd be surpriced. The ones that I have recorded have serial#'s between appox #1400 and #2000.

Best regards
Freddy
Thanks for the reply Freddy. I think mine is number 1318 but ill know for sure tomorrow as its finally on the Fed Ex truck for delivery. I cant wait to behold this beauty!!

I have seen 1001 on fleebay, it was sold local here in New Jersey for a pretty penny... Will have to search for max ser number....

I refurbbed and sold 189X last year and a few years back worked on one in the high 1900s.

I own 3.... One I use, one that 100% stock and one that is broken. Have one on the bench repairing it for someone. I'll look at the sn's tomorrow.

Jk

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. Jstang. I have 3 on my shelves. 2 of my own and one in for repair (has been repaired - waiting to be returned to owner) - they are #1555 - #1991 - #2000 ( yes I know i could have special interest in "hyping" the max. 1000 units produced (1001-2000) - it would make my 500 to be the last one ever produced. It is in absolutely mint condition and flawlessly working, with original boxes that are rubber stamped "2000" and with papers. But I still believe, in respekt to statistics (15 or more years of recording units for sale on the auction site and elsewhere + units seen IRL) that they made none passing the #2000-mark. But off course, if someone has one, I'll stand corrected.:beerchug:

best regards
Freddy

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. Jstang. I have 3 on my shelves. 2 of my own and one in for repair (has been repaired - waiting to be returned to owner) - they are #1555 - #1991 - #2000 ( yes I know i could have special interest in "hyping" the max. 1000 units produced (1001-2000) - it would make my 500 to be the last one ever produced. It is in absolutely mint condition and flawlessly working, with original boxes, rubber stamped "2000" and with papers. But I still believe, in respekt to statistics (15 or more years of recording units for sale on the auction site and elsewhere + units seen IRL) that they made none passing the #2000. But off course, if someone has one, I'll stand corrected.:beerchug:

best regards
Freddy
Hi Freddy, mine finally arrived today, man what a beastly piece of equipment serial number 1311.

I have seen 1001 on fleebay, it was sold local here in New Jersey for a pretty penny... Will have to search for max ser number....

I refurbbed and sold 189X last year and a few years back worked on one in the high 1900s.

I own 3.... One I use, one that 100% stock and one that is broken. Have one on the bench repairing it for someone. I'll look at the sn's tomorrow.

Jk

I earned my wings repairing one for a friend. THANK YOU for posting what info you have.

IF, you have more info on replacement parts or cross reference numbers and would post them, you would be doing the world a huge favor.

Not that I ever want to work on one again, but I do own one.

The meters sold on ebay cracked me up. I think as every month went by the price went up a $100. They must be in demand as the last one i seen was around $500.
I think he started them at $250
I think that 500 sold for only $2500. If its the one your thinking of JK.
I thought it was number 1001. I expected it to sell for much higher.

Last edited:
I have some brand new in the box meters and good used ones..... One of my better investments ..... :)

I have number 1363. Bought it used in 1985 for $700.00 Got it back a month ago from having it re-built: the tech used components that matched the original specifications, and it took him a while to find them... cost me $1153.00 Cdn, sounds fantastic. It has the best imaging that I have ever heard, and I'm only using the front end of a Sansui au717 as a pre-amp!

Thanks for reply. Jstang. I have 3 on my shelves. 2 of my own and one in for repair (has been repaired - waiting to be returned to owner) - they are #1555 - #1991 - #2000 ( yes I know i could have special interest in "hyping" the max. 1000 units produced (1001-2000) - it would make my 500 to be the last one ever produced. It is in absolutely mint condition and flawlessly working, with original boxes that are rubber stamped "2000" and with papers. But I still believe, in respekt to statistics (15 or more years of recording units for sale on the auction site and elsewhere + units seen IRL) that they made none passing the #2000-mark. But off course, if someone has one, I'll stand corrected.:beerchug:

best regards
Freddy
Hi

Mine has SN: 1625

I read somewhere that about 1000 were produced.

still to fix mine... has been lying around for the last 20 years... but still working on my 510 which has the weirdest issue...

Back
Top Bottom