Marantz 5020 Cassette Deck

Discussion in 'Tape' started by AlTinkster92, Mar 19, 2017.

1. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi Guys, I have a fairly nice 5020 cassette deck that sounds dull when playing a tape. Thought I would send it of for a tune up and new lube etc. Does anyone recommend a place I could send it to? I don't mind shipping. Thanks in advance :) Al

2. Blast

Blast I Wanna Rock Subscriber

Great deck! I used to have two of the 5020B back in '78. Wish I had bought the three head version, however. Have you cleaned and demagnetized the heads?

3. AlTinkster92

Blast, no I haven't, only way I know to clean the heads is with one of those tapes you run in it...seen em on the auction site but they all look older than you know what. I heard the cleaning ability of those decreases as time goes by?
    Would really like to send it off if I can find a place... recap, new lube etc...

4. onepixel

onepixel .

Before you send it off, make sure it's not the tape(s). Those things can go flat. Clean your head with isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips.

I had a 5025B. Nice decks.

5. Blast

Blast I Wanna Rock Subscriber

I don't care for those head cleaning tapes. Clean manually on a regular basis. And, if your heads are magnetized it will wipe the high fidelity out of each tape. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Get yourself a demagnetizer from the auction site.

Agreed. Except, I would use denatured alcohol. Then, demag afterwards.

Come to think of it, mine were 5025B, as well. Oh, well.

6. AlTinkster92

Still looking for a good place to send it to bump....