Marantz 5030b cassette deck

mikeg58

I just bought one off of eBay and it plays ff, rw, work just when I turn up the output knob I get static and it fades in and out. Is it something bad or just a good detox will do it ?

I've done a couple of these Marantz decks. Both needed belts, heads cleaned and Deoxit of the controls. I also demagnetized the heads. With those treatments, they played really well. If it's like the 5020 and 5220, there is an internal switch that connects/disconnects the electronics from the transport mechanism to keep unwanted pops and clicks from coming through when changing mode. This switch was the one that really cleared up the noise when cleaned, and it's not visible from the outside. It's a long, linear switch at the edge of the circuit board that is activated by a lever coming from the transport controls.
Steve

Steven, do you restore Marantz Cassette decks?
I have a Marantz 5030B Deck that has been in a box for over 30yrs, mint condition but needs belts, cleaning etc.These Marantz deck style stand up well and show a presence on a nice system. I also looking for a wood case to finish the set. Thanks

I restore for my own use, but not for others. I haven’t done enough of them to feel confident I can make them work to spec. But if belts are the only problem, you can probably do it if you get the service manual, are handy, and have some soldering skills. The only soldering I had to do onthe 5020 and 5025b was to remove the wires from the heads to be able to remove the transport, and then resolder them when reinstalling.

The Mods prefer that discussions of price take place in the Dollars and Sense forum. But, in general, there is not a high demand for Cassette decks, and their price reflects it.

Back
Top Bottom