Marantz 5050M

Eastham

More Class-A than ever!
Thought I'd make a thread on the restoration of my Marantz 5050M cassette deck that came with my 1040M amplifier and 2060M tuner. So where to start, well, when I first powered it up and pushed play, nothing, nada. You could hear the motor struggling to work but no drive what so ever, so I cracked this puppy open and inspected the tape mechanism and found that the belts had turned into this horrible sticky goo/ tar like substance and was covering everything, yuk, so I grabbed some alcohol based nail varnish remover (because I don't have isopropyl alcohol on hand) using a small flat head screwdriver to remove some of the more built up gunk mostly on the motor I then started using q tips and tissues to get rid of most of what was left, after that the motor now spins freely and sounds a lot healthier, I then turned my attention to the capstan wheel using some 5w 40 engine oil I have left over from lubricating my turntable to lubricate the once dry bearing, then I started to clean the faceplate knobs and plastic windows for the cassette door and VU meters, just waiting for new belts to arrive coming all the way from Germany! :D

DSC_0042.JPG DSC_0043.JPG DSC_0050.JPG DSC_0051.JPG

Gotta love them VU meters :thumbsup: Not one from Marantz's heyday but it still has respectable build quality and weighs a ton.

Back
Top Bottom