Marantz 6100 question. I bought one mint last week. with old cardridge needle but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

StereoJohn

.....if i would decide to buy a new cardridge and needle currently manufactured; what cardridge needle would anyone advice? Till max $600,00 CAD retail in my case max. Note: I only go for MM(not MC) course i want to buy extra needles and want to be able to change them myselfe and or try other types in future eventually.
Used amp will be most of the type my vintage Marantz 2265b stereo reciever. Speakers new Kef 950's. Anyone??

Lots of good option at $600.

First, what cartridge is on there now?

Second, do you have a preference in sound characteristics?

Given this turntable's CEC/Chuo Denki built heritage, and it's good medium mass tonearm, you have lots of choices available today. Why not install an Ortofon 2M Blue in it's headshell, be done with it, and enjoy the music? This combo should sound great properly set up. That would be under budget and you'd have $1 or $2 hundred dollars to spend on records and still be $200 under your maximum budget.

Lots of good option at $600.

First, what cartridge is on there now?

Second, do you have a preference in sound characteristics?

1) currently an aftermarket Nec 305M
2) the typical late 80's Denon 125+ W @ 8 ohms per channel; dedicated two channel stereo hifi kinda sound!! Or comparable 80's early nineties beafy rotel or marantz Is my favorite typa sound. All round thus. Tight but present base, voice pronounced mids and crystal clear (hifi and up norm) highs preferably!

Last edited:
Given this turntable's CEC/Chuo Denki built heritage, and it's good medium mass tonearm, you have lots of choices available today. Why not install an Ortofon 2M Blue in it's headshell, be done with it, and enjoy the music? This combo should sound great properly set up. That would be under budget and you'd have $1 or $2 hundred dollars to spend on records and still be $200 under your maximum budget.

^This, except I'd move up to the 2M Bronze. A very definite improvement over the blue imo.

Denon DL-110 or Nagoaka are worth researching also.

After seeing the OP's requirement's I would recommend The Nagaoka MP 200 ... great driving bass and full mids. The boron cantilever delivers clear and transparent highs. Good match for the arm also. Buy direct from Japan from eBay and get the best price.

I would pick DL 110 over the 2M Blue also.

The Bronze would be great, its specs are 22 cu and may a bit too compliant for this tone arm.

WP_20171210_20_32_31_Pro.jpg ok thx i think i try the denon. I do like the Nec for now (its tech internally a philips gp 412 mark III ive also used on my philips 677 with philips universal headshel (so other cardridges fit) its afull range hifi headshel.currently made and sold as a marantz sony or denon DL-110. problem is my nec's real diamond stylus is difficult to get, aftermarket in Nec case bad made china crap fake (tonar stopped making them) and the current denon marantz mcintosh transrotor benz van der hull and or sony (high res) versions of my nec (tech thus a gp412 mk III) does not fit. So i go denon course its the cheapest most common version of the last version of the gp412 ergo my Nec S 305m. and in my case also will fit my Philips headshel. Thanks you all! This i wanted to know if the denon was still tech. a Philips GP412 MK III. spec wise and thats sience (not sound taste only) best MM cardridge ever made til date. Including the current but different looking/shaped then and now modern other brands versions of it and even better or as good as 99,99 % of moving coils till date exept for 1: a 1978 introduced philips MC; currently sold as a Denon, Audiotechnica, Benz Marantz and ortofon by the way but i stay MC ;-).
Update: Ortofon brand (tonar thus) makes a internal gp 412 mkIII typical ortofon style cardridge, but dunno which one i think the one with the red stylus dot / point?? Price canadian online or shop retail? Anyone ?? Maybe cheaper than the denon even??????

I do some research myself also. By the way: Tonar returns as cardridge and (aftermarket) stylus manifacturer based in leipzig germany so ive been told!

Last edited:
Do you mean like this? https://www.ortofon.com/om-5e-p-551-n-1579 Ortofon OM-5? I think you can get a replacement stylus for that Ortofon (original Ortofon) for $30-40 American. Maybe less.
yep thats the one, but the stylus is lower speck no diamond. So as packadge inerior than the denon this needle is like a philips 410 MKII, not 412 like denon is a diamond not a safier like mounted on OM-5 (origionally till 1987 equiped with 412 spec type diamond stylus. o beware origional philips GP 4... freaks. All current aftermarket needles new despite what they advertise for old philips GP4.... are
a) NO diamonds
b) only those for GP406 are conform orig spec thus sapphier not diamond but atleast conform spec wel made in poland. Ergo best new aftermarket stylus available is gp406 marketed replacement needle with sapphier stylus point; also even for your 408, 410,412 or even stereo only on your GP422 "MM".

The one i forgot is philips 4channel cardridge 422 ($700,00 IN USA and fl 600,00 in the netherlands DM500,- IN former BRD for example and 800 or so retail in canadian), which indeed quad or stereo (if mark III 412 2channel diamond was used) had / has even slightly better specs 20 till 23000 hz, instead of "only" 22500 for the GP412 with 412 mark III diamond needle.
Nobody makes a mm with gp422 specs only Denon MC comes close!

For 412 only the best MM denon audiotechnica Sony and marantz still being made with diamond new needles are as good as an orig. philips GP412 mkIII and the denon MC even a little better but lesser base frequency but 23000 high (500 hz higher). Also the denon MC made by ortofon in Demark is the old philips MC.
Philips stopped making there MC course there 422 MM was on specs as good and on all other specs as there MC; it had even a 16 hrz base frequency even with a 412 mk III needle even. 422MM Cheaper to sell easyer to market, more profitable and higher in demand course less amp TT critical and easy to replace mc needle. Partly same reason GP422 (quad) disapeared 412 one third of the 422 price; quad dead, on 2channel 412 was already 100 % hifi din norm plus and CD came out.
Tonar is thinking of release of orig philips style GP422 MC with orig specs and two channel diamond gp412 needle with is also good news for al owners of philips GP400 till 422 cardridge series. For now the tonar future quad 422 stylus remake wont be offfered
comes only with a orig spec GP412 MK III (diamond tip thus). $1200,- US current thus fixed euro / US dollar exchange rate.

Again thx for responce..in my case new replacement and or alternative for my current in use NEC 305m on my new Marantz 6100 and Philips 677 TT's: a brand new MM Denon DL-110 thus ;-).

Again thx for responce..in my case new replacement and or alternative for my current in use NEC 305m on my new Marantz 6100 and Philips 677 TT's: a brand new MM Denon DL-110 thus ;-).

I am not following you. The Denon DL 110 is a high output moving coil - it plays into a MM phono input but is not a moving magnet. The stylus is not replaceable on the DL 110.

oeps indeed. The 110 is the old 1981 movincoil. You know which denon I mean: gp412 tech wise MM. The one that sits standard under the latest DD sony (so called high ress tt) and under the current reintroduced most most expensive heavy-er Denon TT. That one!! Shit I went auto I asked spec about mm and they revere to the denon / Philips MC. Sry bout that! Should have been more alert!

that denon 110 is however the mc around by the way. I gate MC's . Dont want them. I was in my question revering to the current philips GP412 internal wise modern versions. These are the best MM's around based on science specs. the rest doesnt come close still.

again if you want a MC go for the denon or luxman branded ones. Ciyrse there technically the best mc's designed ever literrally a philips MC mass production desighn from 1981. The rest of mc's are slay.
however mc's are old technology! Impractical but that's just me. and based on science not taste , practicalbility, accessibility performance universality and stylus replacement costs.

Plus we were referring to MM's my thread essentially. And this again the best MM's which are around 600 dollar Canadian new the ones I mentioned are the best out there and essentially licences including patents legal internal copies of the Philips gp412 with mark III needle and if they were still beeing made by denon, is essentially al I wanted to know! Hence this thread made by me as far as im concerned closed!

so I got my answer! Just revered to wrong denon. That's all. Thanks correcting me!

Last edited:
1) All I wanted to know if the Philips GP 412 mark III diverative by Denon starting 1982 is still being made by Denon. Answer yes!. That's the only cartridge im going to buy best MM arround period!!
2) no MC is better than this Denon MM cardridge; See specs real world! And my sound preverence i stated posted about in a reply in this thread made by me!
3) besides for other obvious reasons i also stated in this post im not interested at all in MC whatever the specs!. (nor any other cartridges for that matter MC nor MM if the cardridge I want is still made; and it is!)

Anybody else?! Buy what you want It's a free world sotospeak! I got my answer. End of this question topic I posted! Duhh!

All others thanks for helping me out clearing things up.for me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom