Marantz 6100 turntable issues

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So I got this table a while back, and i got the urge to try and figure out why it has a gear rattle noise. I can see the rattle is coming from the gear that returns the arm at the end of the record, or when the reject lever it pushed. Everything seems to be working smooth, but the main gear is rubbing on the spindle gear while the platter turns. There's a note showing how to align the main gear to the spindle, and I did it a couple times with the same result, gear noise. I don't understand the note on the table that references the position of the clutch, it doesn't seem to move much. Everything seems to work fine with the table other than that gear noise from the spindle gear rubbing on the main gear. Am I missing a spring or some other part that holds the main gear in position? Here's a couple videos.

As you can see in this video, the gear won't stay positioned so the gap doesn't rub on the spindle gear.

In this video, you can hear the main gear rubbing on the spindle gear. As soon as the retract movement starts, the gears are engaged and the noise stops till the gear is back to the disengage position.

Onebean

I got it fixed. After downloading the service manual from the Vinyl Engine, I was able to verify I wasn't missing any parts. Then I just started watching how the auto return worked, and manually actuating it over and over till I understood what the sequence was. I ended up adjusting a cam that was putting a slight amount of pressure on the return gear, causing it to rub on the spindle gear. It still makes a small noise on start up, but is silent before the table is up to speed. The auto return seems to work fine, as well as the reject lever. I did have to adjust the height of the lift on auto return, because it was crazy close to the LP surface. Now I've got about 1/8" of clearance in the return function. I re-set the Pickering xv15 625e because the overhang was way long, and also got it aligned with the sides of the head shell. A big thanks to the Vinyl Engine. I probably couldn't have got it going without the manuals. This is a sweet table. With the Pickering cart lined up it sounds really nice. I can't wait to put it into full time service.

Onebean

congrats on the repair. TT are just a different beast in the audio chain when it comes to repair. So much is mechanical, not like amps and such.

Thanks. I'm probably more capable on the mechanical stuff. I get in over my head pretty quick on electronics.

Back
Top Bottom