Marantz 6170 / Pickerington V-691E

gyusher

-don't go round hungry-
Marantz 6170 / Pickering V-691E

WOW!! Just found this absolutly perfect TT at a local yard sale. . . At first I thought it was "Too New" because it tooked brand new but after talking with them they bought it in 1979.

I dont understand the "cue" feature. .? ? ? I will dig deeper and maybe I can get a picture up later. Good eBay TT. . . .

Last edited:
One more thing

One more thing. . . This lady who bought this TT new lives just down the street. I was driving by when she waved me down to give me the original owners manual, warrenty card etc. all in pristine condition. . . We talked a few minutes, she is a religious non smoker and told me she had not touched this TT for over 15 years. . . WOW!! I know it aint much but I would think any self respecting Marantz collector would love this thing especially with all papers. . .

Pics

Excuse the poor pics. . . I sold my good camera and I am waithing on my new S2 Canon. . . But you get the idea. . .

Last edited:
Vague Post

I guess I should have asked if this Marantz TT is worth a damn as a TT. I know it is pretty meager as it is only auto-lift and from the looks of things it might function best as a full manual. . .

I have searched AK about Marantz TTs and I get conflicting info. Some say to avoid them while others seem to like them. I am thinking I might just keep it as it is so nice and I only play records maybe once or twice a year.

Dont hold back tell me what you think about it as a Turntable. . . .

orion says

MARANTZ TBL, 6170
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1978 - 1979
Additional Information:
Retail
MSRP: $200.00

Cue Function

bolly said:
MARANTZ TBL, 6170
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1978 - 1979
Additional Information:
Retail
MSRP: $200.00

Thanks Greg but I know that much. . . matter of fact that is all I know. . . :scratch2:

I do have a legitimate question though. . . This thing has a "Cue" function that is not working. . . I think after sitting for so many years it has stopped working. . .Anyone ever have to do anything with these cue controls before?? :scratch2:

I had a Micro-Seiki that did the same thing but eventually it freed up and started working again. . . I let this guy run for a couple hours but I havnt had time to tear into it's cue controls. . . .yet. . .

Here in Europe, this model is very common, but never in good working condition.
They have all the same issues: they don't keep the speed, the cueing doesn't work.

The 6170 is like the 6150 with more electronic function (cueing).
The 6150 is easy to fix but the 6170 not.
I have had the same speed problem with the 6150, a good cleaning in the pitch control pot, and the problem was solved but with the 6170, after several attempts and one year later I decided to give up. :thumbsdn:

I use mine for spare parts. :thmbsp:
Strobe lamp is in used in a 6300 because it was impossible to find a new lamp
The headshell is also on another table

In fact, the motor, the arm and the platter are still there,
Now I use this table as a record cleaning machine.

Tony

marantzbe said:
Here in Europe, this model is very common, but never in good working condition.
They have all the same issues: they don't keep the speed, the cueing doesn't work.

The 6170 is like the 6150 with more electronic function (cueing).
The 6150 is easy to fix but the 6170 not.
I have had the same speed problem with the 6150, a good cleaning in the pitch control pot, and the problem was solved but with the 6170, after several attempts and one year later I decided to give up. :thumbsdn:

I use mine for spare parts. :thmbsp:
Strobe lamp is in used in a 6300 because it was impossible to find a new lamp
The headshell is also on another table

In fact, the motor, the arm and the platter are still there,
Now I use this table as a record cleaning machine.

Tony

Thanks. . . This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Could have been better news. . .LOL. . . But still this is news I can do something about. . . Looks like the only problem with this one is cueing. . . It runs great , I see what you mean about touchy pitch controls. . . like to have never got her right. . .

Wow you TT looks absolutely mint. I have the same TT with SHure N30B (aftermarket stylus though!). I think this one works fine, the cue function should not be difficult to mend. It is simply a clicking device to trigger the arm up and down. It only works when the platter is turning so make sure that the mechanism is not broken and is then well lubricated and then reassemble to see if things are fine.

Good luck.

TBL_HK said:
Wow you TT looks absolutely mint. I have the same TT with SHure N30B (aftermarket stylus though!). I think this one works fine, the cue function should not be difficult to mend. It is simply a clicking device to trigger the arm up and down. It only works when the platter is turning so make sure that the mechanism is not broken and is then well lubricated and then reassemble to see if things are fine.

Good luck.

My project for tonight. . .

When I first saw this thing I thought it was a late model new one. . . Was owned by a single woman since brand new. It has sat in her smoke free house since then. I have her original receipt where she paid 189.99 for it in 1978. . . The Pickering cartridge was 29.90. . . an upgrade at the time. Everything is absolutly flawless cosmetically even the manual, warrentee card etc look like they were printed yesterday.

It may not be much but it certainly looks the part. I think it would be great for the Marantz collector that might not be into vinyl but wants to complete his system with a documented like new piece. . .

Back
Top Bottom