Marantz 8B Questions

Does anyone know if they had consecutive serial numbers for the
whole 8 line? That is 8 and 8B just kept getting incremental serial numbers?

Not sure if the numbers run consecutively thru the entire series thru the B.

I believe the serial #'s did run consecutively thru the 8 to 8b change. Looks like 'around' #4400 is when the 8b started and they still had the 'octal' on the back for the first 8b's. After the first batches they dropped the octal on the back.

I own one 8 and two 8b's and they all match up to what I stated above.

View attachment 1328566
View attachment 1328571
View attachment 1328572
View attachment 1328573

Pio, What was the OPs SN? I found a High Number listed, shown here:

This was serial number 20300 as listed on the back sticker F020300 if I recall.
I think the later 8Bs had the diode board on the front of the amp. What was that
supposed to do? Keep way word I/Es from messing with the pot settings?
I have to wondern see if my dissatisfaction is due to the oem coupling caps and power rail crosstalk.
The second "issue" should be identifiable by o'scoping the power rails during bench testing.

Good question, but I don't know why they would be.

Me neither.
I feel pretty certain about my #, but if there were over 9000 8's sold, as you found out, it would make us both right. :beerchug:

Reminds me of the guy who was doing all the research here on 'gold/engraved' 2270's and when they stopped with that look. Everything pointed to the first couple 1000, then some reports came in that were in the 55,000's+...turned out they were Canadian.

For posterity sake...I have an 8b with an octal socket on the back, serial # is in the 4600's.

I have been following this tread for a while - it's great!

I'm certain that the 8 started at #1001
I'm not certain when the 8B takeover took place serialnumber-wise :) the transition could very well be around #4500
I'm certain that the Marantz company produced 8B transformers that could handle the conversion to 234V-networks (Europe) from serial number #6600. (documented from Marantz)
I'm certain that the 8/8B-series was produced until they reached about #11.000 - in fact..the highest i ever saw was around #10600 - never saw one higher and i have followed those serial numbers at the auction site and elsewhere since around 1998.

That tells me, that around 10.000 pieces were produced - probably a little less.

No difference in Canadian numbers vs. US/international numbers - they were all the same scheme.

best regards
Freddy

Last edited:
Yeah - that's a great example of the reissues from the 70's (kits) - not an original from the 60's. I'm only refering to originals from the 60's. (guess they actually started around 1959 (model 8))

The Marantz company ran a series of 8B + 7C kits - originated at the Chatsworth Cal - plant. Maybe around 1976-77. They were called Marantz 8B-K (K is probably for "kit") - and they might have been adressed primarily at the Japanese market. They seem to have quite a lot of them there. The one you have linked to - is a 100V-version which indicates Japan.:)

I put up a pic of an example of the Chatsworth series - the serial number scheme is very different - and with high numbers.

There's also the 1996-reissues - again with different serial number scheme.

please click at the thumbnail...

8b-2-3.jpg

regards Freddy

Last edited:
Please note the white thin line squared around the Serial Number-sticker. This was the original series. This is from an original 8B.

44.jpg

it is not an 8B - you'll also see that on the back lettering, just above "Marantz Company" - under the speaker terminals. It says "model 8"

regards
freddy

it is not an 8B - you'll also see that on the back lettering, just above "Marantz Company" - under the speaker terminals. It says "model 8"

regards
freddy
Yes, I hadn't noticed that. My brother gave it to me. He also has the 8B that my Dad bought new. I always thought they were the same. Obviously not. Good to know. I'm not sure I can hear the difference.

Back
Top Bottom