Marantz cassette deck - 5010 vs 5020 vs others - opinions please?

ex brickie

Having just bought a re-capped 2252B receiver (and fabulous it is) I'm looking out for a matching era cassette deck. I'm in the UK...

I've spotted models 5010 and 5020 which look very similar - what are the main differences in their performance and functionality? Also I want to record off the radio via a timer so are there any Marantz cassette decks from that era which would do that? I have a Pioneer timer that could set it all off

The Pioneer CT 400 cassette deck from around 1980 has a neat timer record switch - any similar functionality on Marantz decks?

I’ve never had a 5010, but I bought a 5020 new in 1975. It was the best sounding cassette player I ever heard, although I’m sure there were better. However, I doubt if there were any better looking. I sold all of my original equipment in the 90’s. But when I got back into it, I made sure to replace the 5020. It doesn’t get used much, but it sure is pretty. :biggrin: I have also had a 5025b, and I have cleaned up and restored both tape decks. Their transport mechanisms are either identical or very close. To me, the choice would be based on the receiver/amp you will be using it with, assuming it is Marantz. The 5020 matches the early 70’s models, like 2230, 2245, 2270. The 5025/5025b match the later b models.

Hi Steven

That's really helpful. I am now the proud owner of a 2252B receiver - so any tips on the cassette deck to get? The 5025 has similar looking and coloured VU meters. I did want a timer record facility though.….

The 5025 or 5025b would definitely be a closer match. But, man, those big old meters on the 5020 sure are pretty! Also, I have never seen a 5030/5030b, but they look about the same as the 5025 and I believe they are three head versions, so theoretically superior.

Back
Top Bottom