Marantz DV 6001

Bodyblue

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently wanted a CD player for exactly the wrong reason; I wanted a Marantz branded player to match the Marantz receiver and TT in my living room system.

The Sony DVD changer I was replacing (the thing is HUGE) has both HDMI and analog outputs; which is perfect since I have the HDMI output to HT receiver for DVD playback and analog out to my Marantz 2220B for CD playback.

Anyway to make a long boring story short and boring, I found the 6001 on eBay at a very good price (without remote) and decided to give it a try. I found a remote for $10 (the player was $45 with shipping) and have been using it for a week now and actually am pretty impressed with it. I was surprised to find out it has a metal faceplate and is built really well. I played my Diana Krall SACD and it sounded really nice (even though I cant tell much if a difference between CD and SACD) and DVDs look great as well.

So for what I paid I am pretty impressed with how it looks and plays so as long as it lasts a while I will be happy.

0620170844.jpg 0620170845.jpg

I came across one of those at GW a few years ago.
I walked up to the electronics section, saw a guy holding it, saw the SACD logo, and the minute he put it down I grabbed it.
I have a modest but well listened to SACD collection. If I see an SACD-capable player out there at places like GW I'm grabbing it. Who knows how long players will be made?

It was over five years ago that I got mine, and it's still going strong.
I have a couple of minor beefs with it. Library CDs often make it rumble something bad. They use stickers on the surface of their discs for tracking, and my guess is it throws things off. It's the only player I've ever had that had that issue, though.
It also has had some weird HDMI handshake issues at times. They pop up out of the blue.

Have you gone into the menu and tweaked the audio settings for your needs yet?

I came across one of those at GW a few years ago.
I walked up to the electronics section, saw a guy holding it, saw the SACD logo, and the minute he put it down I grabbed it.
I have a modest but well listened to SACD collection. If I see an SACD-capable player out there at places like GW I'm grabbing it. Who knows how long players will be made?

It was over five years ago that I got mine, and it's still going strong.
I have a couple of minor beefs with it. Library CDs often make it rumble something bad. They use stickers on the surface of their discs for tracking, and my guess is it throws things off. It's the only player I've ever had that had that issue, though.
It also has had some weird HDMI handshake issues at times. They pop up out of the blue.

Have you gone into the menu and tweaked the audio settings for your needs yet?

I did the first day I got it. That is about the only thing that seems old about it: the menus look old and clunky.

I did the first day I got it. That is about the only thing that seems old about it: the menus look old and clunky.
Yeah, I think that's common with Marantz stuff.
I've got one of their AVRs from 99/2000 or so, and the setup menu looks like it was programmed with a Vic 20.

My tray moves fine. After using the player for a couple of weeks now, I have really come to like it. It simply is built very solidly and performs great.

It sticks closed. It will open slightly then stick.
Not sure if this will work with this unit, but I've had a couple that had that problem and could be 'fixed' by always leaving a disc in it.
No idea why it works, but the Oppo in my living room system is like that. Had a DVD recorder that was the same.

That actually did work briefly, but it's gotten worse since. The tray doesn't appear to use a belt, so I'm not sure what to do. The drive gear assembly isn't really accessible.

Not sure if this will work with this unit, but I've had a couple that had that problem and could be 'fixed' by always leaving a disc in it.
No idea why it works, but the Oppo in my living room system is like that. Had a DVD recorder that was the same.

I had a Samsung BDP that would do that. The problem was the clamp for the disc; it wouldn't release so the tray would stick closed. I tried to jigger it but replacement with a completely different transport was the solution (I found a similar but lower end model in a thrift store and gambled that it would use the same transport; fortunately I was correct.)

I had a Samsung BDP that would do that. The problem was the clamp for the disc; it wouldn't release so the tray would stick closed. I tried to jigger it but replacement with a completely different transport was the solution (I found a similar but lower end model in a thrift store and gambled that it would use the same transport; fortunately I was correct.)
That's good to know.

I really need to ship my Oppo off. Having to ship it across the border and back has made me put it off.

I'm trying to remember the exact issue, it had something to do with a magnet that was too strong and a floating disc that made up the other portion of the clamp but the details are a little hazy. To look at it I'd have to find the unit, unwrap it (when "archiving" spare gear I usually wrap them in Saran Wrap with the remote and documentation if I have it) and then pop the lid... not sure how soon I could realistically do that)

I have an old Marantz VC6001. Its just like yours but its a DISC Changer. Has a pretty sweet SACD player and it has a very nice picture when playing DVD's. I've had it from the time it was first put into production.

Back
Top Bottom