Marantz Esotec SM-7 amp/SC-9 Combo. Looking for listener opinions.

KutzlerTrans

Jennie & I with Buddy and Barney.
A while back i bought a Marantz 300dc which i promptly tore into a million pieces and went through. For many reasons, it is still on the bench waiting for me to finish soldering some caps on the new rectifiers.
I bought a nice 3250 pre amp as a match for it, as the preferred 3650 is hard to find.

So in the meantime, as a compulsive marantz collector, i have been interested in the supposedly upgraded SM-7 amp, which i ended up buying last weekend.
I then bought the SC-7 pre amp a few days later after realizing i would kick myself for not buying it.

There are not a lot of threads about these units and i thought i would start a thread based on real life opinions so others can learn with me. The units will be here in a week.
I am using a 2325 in the shop and biased towards that sound and warmth. If these nice looking units come close to it, i will be a happy man and the neighbors will not.

Thanks for joining in and sharing,
John

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

There is a nice set on ebay with the impossible to find tuner. No affiliation with the owner. I would like a tuner someday, but i cannot justify the cost, besides reminding me of our 1963 Plymouth Valiant, also does not help.:D
I understand it is a phenomenal tuner though. Maybe someday
s-l1600.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I never thought I'd be impressed by a tuner but the 2130 is surprisingly good. My understanding is the ST8 is as good or even better. Quite impressive but with a steep price tag IMO.

marantz_Pro.jpg I have both the SM-7 and the SC-7, which is identical to the SC-9, I also have a 3250 and 3250B with 170dc's. I played the SM-7 and SC-7 together when I got them and really did not like the sound of the SC-7. I now have the 3250B connected to the SM-7 and I think it is the best match for me. I have played each sysem through my living room speakers which are JBL-L100's, JBL-L88's and Rectilinear HiBoys. Right now the L-100's are connected to a 3250 and a 170dc and I like the sound, the L-88's are connected to a Marantz 1250, 125 and EQ20 and they sound very nice, but I like the Rectilinears with the 3250B, SM-7 and a 2110. So, I have boxed up the SC-7 and put it in the stack of pieces I've collected and am not using. So, that's my 2 cents. Both my SM and SC came with out the doors, if any knows where to find them or have them fabricated, I would appreciate it.

Nice collection, Rich, I will be on the lookout for some doors for you. Too bad this stuff gets separated somehow over time. If a guy had one to use for a pattern it probably could be made on a 3d printer.

I bought this nice stuff and look what happened to the pre amp:D

I bit the bullet and its getting new caps before i resell it. I don't want the buyer to have any issues and its worth more in a restored state. If it sounds like its reputation says, i may keep it.

If anyone has any advice to give me, i'm all ears. I need to locate a schematic so i can upgrade some of the films with polypropylene units.
I was a working unit so i shouldn't have any transistor issues, but there are what appears to be diff pair looking sets located on a few boards. They will need to go as long as i can figure out what sub to use, unless its a common number that i stock.

Attachments

• DSC02976.JPG
    DSC02976.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC02974.JPG
    DSC02974.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 51
One bit of advice. Don't try to save those ribbon strip connector wires. Just unsolder them and throw them out as quickly as possible. Those strips are nothing but a constant source of intermittent connections and fail INSIDE the sheathing.

Also the SC-7 and 9 are FAMOUS for their failing solder connections. ESPECIALLY on that tone board. Recheck every connection to the tone boards under magnification.

Otherwise it is a very good preamp that starts to lean towards a more modern cleaner sound. A break from the traditional 70's sound.

This is just MY personal opinion. Those are great units, problematic, but great. The sound signature was cleaner, extended with more energy at the FR ends but more balanced. Very much like almost any good modern gear today. I think that was where I started to jump off the vintage thing once I started playing with the Esotec line. Just be careful because you can to start and loose your way heading down this road. Been there.

Hey, Thanks Guys!
I think i am going to start different thread on this referring it as a restoration so others doing it have a help thread.
I will be happy to eliminate the harnesses. i got a few boards done last night.
Power supply got new 24v zenors and a pile of 1n4004's and caps.
i ran across some red dot looking diodes that look questionable. MV203 which i'm finding is a 2.1v zenor. or i found reference to it called a stabilistor. I need to read into it more as what i found said to use a few standard 4148's in series.

Does anyone know is these original MV203's are OK to leave in??

Attention,
This restoration thread has been moved to a new title and here it is
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/esotec-sc-9-restoration.750683/#post-10188600

Last edited:
Hello!
I just signed up.
I bought what I believe are the Marantz SC-7/ SM-7 in Korea at the Osan Airforce base PX in 1982. The amp I remember being 150W/ Channel and it seemed like it weighed 150 lbs.
(Etched on the back is 7409). I wonder if someone could let me know if there are any of these units for sale.
It drove a pair of JBL L150A's. I also had a Pioneer Tangential tracking turn table, Sansui tuner, ADC Equalizer, DBX, and a Nachamichi Cassette. All set into an old NC machine tool control cabinet.
I miss that setup more than any past girlfriends!
(Baby''s momma not included)

Back
Top Bottom