Marantz HD880 find

bonsaichop

Hello again!

So I heard on the local grapevine that there was a guy throwing out some big old speakers with some 'funny name like mantiz' this is about the time when my ears picked up on the conversation. I got a hold of the guy who indeed was throwing them out and I from his description sounded like a pair of HD880's. Score! Or so I thought.

From the time I called him to the time I got there (about 45 min) he now decided that they were worth something and wanted $100 for the pair. Not too bad I guessed but the rain was coming and I was in a hurry to get them in the car before the rain hit so I just loaded them into the car.

Brought them home, a few days later I took them out. A bit disappointing :( His description was they were "near new".. the fabric was splitting threads all over the place, it looks like several things were screwed into the veneer and worst of all, one of the 12" woofers had been replaced! Noooo!!!

Things got worse when I took the woofer out to confirm my suspiction. It looks like someone has put about 2 kilos of sand in each unit. That or these speakers went to the beach. The paper caps were dented and the replaced speaker was soldered in! Gah!

So I guess the question is, would it be worth getting an original woofer and recapping the crossovers? Possibly refinish the cabinets? They do sound alright, although it wasn't a great test, I tried them outside of my workshop with a NAD 7020 receiver which really doesn't fill the 250w of power these are supposed to handle. :)

Pictures as always :) Not too many I was in a rush and my SLR isn't configured for sunny photos but enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66195499@N07/6068063964/ by Bonsaichop, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66195499@N07/6067501525/ by Bonsaichop, on Flickr
(the one on the right is the replaced woofer)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66195499@N07/6068063380/ by Bonsaichop, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66195499@N07/6067517959/ by Bonsaichop, on Flickr
You can still see the sand all over the place and this is after I gave it a good clean out!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66195499@N07/6068061312/ by Bonsaichop, on Flickr

These things are massive! I must admit I do enjoy their look :)

They were designed by Edmond May he worked for JBL before joining Marantz.I just found a set at a church sale and I'm refoaming them .Can't wait to hear them I had a set of HD770's and they sounded great .Check eBay for woofers ,they seem to sell in pairs .

My HD770's had the wrong woofers and the cabinets showed their age when I got them. It took about 4 months to find the correct woofers. I rebuilt the crossovers with Solen caps and added some additional poly-fill to the cabinets.

I carefully cleaned the cabinets and recovered the grills with burnt orange grill cloth. These are great sounding speakers that don't disappoint.

I think that rebuilding the crossovers and the cabinet fill made the most noticeable improvement.

Then all you ave to do is search for a par of the Vari Q plugs to complete the project. Finding the plugs took me over a year :thmbsp:

Attachments

• marantz vari q.jpg
    marantz vari q.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 89
  • marantz vari Q-4.jpg
    marantz vari Q-4.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 89
From what I have read they are perhaps the best sounding of the 70s Marantz speakers.I missed out on a pair a few years ago and still regret it.

They were designed by Edmond May he worked for JBL before joining Marantz.I just found a set at a church sale and I'm refoaming them .Can't wait to hear them I had a set of HD770's and they sounded great .Check eBay for woofers ,they seem to sell in pairs .

I had a look on eBay the last set of woofers sold for $129 USD but they would not ship internationally and did not have any foam surrounds which wouldn't be so great in transit to Australia but i'll keep an eye out.

My HD770's had the wrong woofers and the cabinets showed their age when I got them. It took about 4 months to find the correct woofers. I rebuilt the crossovers with Solen caps and added some additional poly-fill to the cabinets.

I carefully cleaned the cabinets and recovered the grills with burnt orange grill cloth. These are great sounding speakers that don't disappoint.

I think that rebuilding the crossovers and the cabinet fill made the most noticeable improvement.

Then all you ave to do is search for a par of the Vari Q plugs to complete the project. Finding the plugs took me over a year :thmbsp:

I didn't even realise that there were plugs for these units, must have item #2! (after the replacement woofer!). I'm a bit hessitant with fixing up the cabinets, metal work and electrical work are right up my alley. Woodwork however i've found that I also just go a bit to far and mess the whole thing up!

From what I have read they are perhaps the best sounding of the 70s Marantz speakers.I missed out on a pair a few years ago and still regret it.

Well i'm glad I have them! Though I really can't wait to smuggle them into the house and give them a good play. A bit of work I think before they're going to be ready for the run across the border that is my front door :)

Now how the heck did I miss this???

Great Scott! Sweet Grab there!

I sold a pair of 880's I refurbished a while back, but found myself regretting it, so I found myself a pair of bare cabs, and used my spare parts to bring them back to life. Glad to hear you are enjoying them. Truly great speakers and worth keeping.

A woofer will turn up sooner or later. Just save a search on ebay and have any hits sent to your email. Singles should go a bit cheaper per piece than a pair.

I had the 770's and they were pretty good speakers. I had the vari-q plugs but the foam was obviously long gone. Instead I used a pair of tennis balls in the ports. They were actually tennis ball squeaky toys I got at petSmart. They are a bit larger than the ports and fit nice and snug making a tight seal.

The speakers you have there look like they are in good condition. The grills are pretty easy to outfit with new cloth.

Instead I used a pair of tennis balls in the ports. They were actually tennis ball squeaky toys I got at petSmart.
Did you ever hear squeaks during bass notes or woofer excursion? Using sqeaky toys would make me nervous. You got the right idea, but the original closed cell foam is what works best as it's design intended. The sqeak ball would not absorb the impeding bass notes, but rather reflect them, causing distortion. I get square block lengths of closed cell foam at Lowe's. I cut a specific length and roll it, and stuff it in the port. That is the same type and color as original. Works like a Charm. :thmbsp:

I just redid some Imperial 8 Marantz's and replaced the woofers with some REAL expensive JBL's. If your interested in the woofers from my 8's, send me a PM and I can send you a picture. Their sitting my basment. I refoamed them and they are perfect now.

BT is quickly becomming my new hero! How many other folks have enough 'spares' about the house to outfit empty Marantz speaker cabs! :music: It is indeed a great wealth of knowledge to be had here!:thmbsp:

Thanks, Mike, I try, hehehe! I Love the old Marantz HD/DS/M/MKII/X00 designs so much that I want to maintain their originality and sound, while helping others do so as well. I know Ed May would be proud.

How are marantz sp1915 speakers ?
I got a set locally for a friend, it had a 15 woofer and a mid and a paper tweeter which we are going to be experimenting with. These things were huge and heavy.
Cool.
Srinath.

Hey Old_Marantz,

I tried PM'ing you a few days ago regarding the woofers from your Imperial 8's. Figured if you still have them, and no one else has jumped on them I might be interested for the HD88's I have that need a set.

LMK?
Thanks
Vinny

Back
Top Bottom