Marantz HD880

Jdgeier

I got a text message from a retired co-worker today if I would be interested in some older audio gear. So I tell her that I would but I would pay her a fair price.

She insisted no it’s free we don’t use it and if you will use and take care of it it’s free.

Needless I was taken back at what saw, one owner and the wood is in great shape. Will give it a go through tomorrow and see how it sounds.

Obviously the red woofers are not original as he told me he had a recone done but it wasn’t done properly so he changed the woofers on both. Everything is suppose to work and the dust covers are in perfect shape

Attachments

• 22914BF7-D377-41F2-9193-CB96819A243E.jpeg
    22914BF7-D377-41F2-9193-CB96819A243E.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 48
Sweet score! Look for some original woofers and they should sound awesome!!

I’m definitely going to look for original woofers and hope to get back to as close to original as possible. He told me everything is original inside . He told me he paid over $600 back in 78 for these from his Uncle that had a audio store.

Congrats! With the proper woofers you’ll have a great sounding pair of speakers designed by former JBL Chief Engineer Ed May.

Congrats! With the proper woofers you’ll have a great sounding pair of speakers designed by former JBL Chief Engineer Ed May.

Thanks they look great and I’ll be honest they sounds real good now, but I’m coming from nothing high quality and really haven’t been exposed to high end speakers. I will definitely be on the look for the correct woofers

At least you get the woofer trim rings. Most old Marantz speakers from that line that I've seen with replacement woofers don't have them. And it's always a good idea to ask if they kept the old woofers. Sometimes you get lucky with that. Either way, you need to replace those replacements with something more 'vintage'. The compliance of the ones in there now is almost certainly much higher than the originals.

Back
Top Bottom