Marantz Imperial 6

CopperWizard

Hello all! I am new to AudioKarma and have enjoyed reading the content here as many a search has led me here. I started my audio addiction a few months back while perusing the second hand stores for speakers to build a surround sound system. One day I walked into a Goodwill and there sat a pair of old speakers that reminded me of my college day Advents. I got them home and plugged them into my surround reciever, put it on stereo, and that is when the obsession really started. The speakers are a pair of mint condition Marantz Imperial 6 with cool retro cloth fronts. After doing some research and a lot of listening I have ditched the surround stuff but I really like the low end punch that the subwoofer adds. I have my eye on a Sanaui 3300 in a local pawn shop but I wonder if the Subwoofer I have, a JBL 135 200 will still do the trick as it has its speaker connections labeled high level. I cant find any online info on this sub as to its crossover for the high level. Does anyone have any recommendations about a good option for an old reciever and or sub to compliment the Imperial 6's. The newer reciever I want to ditch if you catch my drift. :music:

I have my eye on a Sanaui 3300 in a local pawn shop but I wonder if the Subwoofer I have, a JBL 135 200 will still do the trick as it has its speaker connections labeled high level. I cant find any online info on this sub as to its crossover for the high level. Does anyone have any recommendations about a good option for an old reciever and or sub to compliment the Imperial 6's. The newer reciever I want to ditch if you catch my drift. :music:

:lurk:

A good friend of mine has a pair of Marantz Imperial 6. They are amazing speakers. I have been looking for a pair for years. IMHO what you "need to ditch" is the subwoofer. Find a nice vintage receiver and enjoy.

The Imperial 6 benefit from a old sock stuffed in the port. Crisp bass not fuzzy, well IMHO anyway.

Get the Sansui and bet is is enough to drive the Marantz's just fine. But if you want low level listening floor shaking a sub will be needed.

Barney

Imperial 6's are great speakers. I have a set I use in my garage they sound good matched with my Pioneer SX-939. They sound better than my Marantz 7 Mark II's I had. I agree with asp69, ditch the sub. Find a Marantz 2265B and you'll be set!

Some pics of the Imperial 6's. Listening to some classical violin on the radio right now and the sound is so lovely.

Attachments

• 000_0010.jpg
    000_0010.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 391
  • 000_0012.jpg
    000_0012.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 332
  • 000_0013.jpg
    000_0013.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 340
Anybody using a sub with the Imperial 6's?
I think it's a funny name because at the time the Japanese were making such great equipment too. I wonder how the Imperial line sells overseas in the east. I think I will clarify my original query.
The Subwoofer I have has the speaker wire connections to be able to add to an amp without rca/lfe but those wire connections are labeled as High Level. So my question is will the Imperial 6 mains (stereo L/R) get cut off from lower frequencies? I think my question might be for not as I will build around the Imperials anyway, damn I love the sound and maybe I am just getting older but the clarity is more important than rumbling bass to my ears. I find myself listening to old radio stuff more now. I'm 38. I do like being able to just disconnect the subwoofer when listening to a good radio signal. I guess I should list my current setup at the bottom here so people know where I am at with the equipment I have right now. I might be on a dead end track with my current direction but I think two different amps might be in order. Although I like the idea of a sub being hidden from sight and almost disappear from one thinking there is a sub other than the Imperials, as it sounds now, but I want to get more clarity from a quality vintage amp instead of m current HTIB Sony receiver and tuner. The tuner is actually a Yamaha natural sound tuner, maybe that is why I like listening to the radio so much, still has to go thru the tuner though. So many questions....

Last edited:
In the garage?

As someone who owns and loves a beautiful set of Imperial 6's, I have to say I'm shocked they only only made it to the garage.

So I ended up buying the Sansui 3300. It has a small light out behind the left hand side where the tuner indicator moves back and forth to tell signal strength and a knob or two (the treble and bass l/r is a little sticky, other than that it is fully functional. I can't even begin to articulate how the Marantz Imperial 6 speakers came alive. I think my other receiver (Sony HTIB) was set to small speakers. :music: As for the subwoofer; you guys were right. As soon as I pulled the plug on the sub the clear bass of these speakers driven by a quality receiver became apparent. I think they actually have more low freq bass than the subs. I knew I would hear a difference but not this much. Songs I have listened to a million times have never been this clear and punchy. I am absolutely awestruck. My next project is also a recent Goodwill find. A pair of Sony SS-610 speakers. They were $8.00 for the pair!! one of the woofers does not work at all. I guess I need to switch woofers between cabinets and see if it is the crossover? There are only two little round things between the speakers that the wires are interrupted by, these must be the capacitors? Are those considered the crossovers? :scratch2:

Last night I connected up my Six's to a Mitsubishi DA power amp and listen for awhile. Sure glad I never sold them.

Barney

I had a pair of the 4Gs with the same tweeter when I was in high school.

My brother had a pair of JBL L36s. I was playing my 4Gs one day and my brother came into my room and asked me what speakers they were.

I told him and he looked a little surprised and said "those are really nice sounding tweeters".

I though that was kinda cool for him to say that. :D

How can the Sansui 3300 at only 45 watts per channel sound so much better and louder than my other receiver at 120 watts per channel? :scratch2:

The newer gear rate power differently. Basically play with frequency, time to get their numbers, can't call it lying really.

Barney

Those look mint. I had a pair of brand new Imperial 6g back in the late 70's. Nice speakers. :thmbsp:

I have a pair of Marantz Imperial 6's also. I bought them new back in the 70's. I guess I should dig them out, fire 'em up and give them a listen.

I picked up a pair of Marantz Imperial 6 speakers for very low $, just out of curiosity. I hadn't heard the best things about Marantz speakers. I was really impressed however. No matter what kind of music, they sound great. Detailed, full, not boomy, but amazing bass. No sub needed IMO. Vocals sound terrific. Very good looking vintage cabinets too. I have been through a lot of speakers, and these are what I have been looking for. If you come across them do not pass them up. Bonus, they do not seem to command a lot of $$.

In the garage?

As someone who owns and loves a beautiful set of Imperial 6's, I have to say I'm shocked they only only made it to the garage.

Yeah, I know this thread is 3 years old.

I have these. While I own Vandersteen 2c's and Polk SDA 1-B's, as well as Epi 201's, these will never leave the stable. Just a damned good 2 way.

Back
Top Bottom