Marantz Imperial 9's

p1pedream

Hello to all:

As I mentioned in my intro, I recently acquired a set of these monsters and have been smiling a lot since.

I took out a woofer in each to clean, vacuum and spray down the foam with Febreeze, as 1 of them stunk.

Questions:

I noticed that the foam is different in these versus my Imperial 7's. Some of it fell apart, but for the most part it is in tact. Would changing it out do anything sound-wise? It would not be an easy job, so if it's not really worth it, I'll pass.

I believe this set of 9's are an older set, as the woofers are black. I have been told my Imperial 7's are an older set as well. Think my father purchased my 2238B and the 7's for me in 1976, but I could be a year off.

I also have noticed on 1 of them the control knobs for the crossovers are not on correctly. I guessed for now and put them back to factory settings. A little hesitant to remove them as I don't want to break them.

I've been fighting with my ADC EQ trying to get the bass close to the way I like it, but I only get close. I'm guessing they need more power, or a wider EQ, or both. I've found a Proton D-1200, but it's a bit out of my budget, governor. The AA-1150 has been great and the only issue I've fought is the damn jack in the back on the left is unhappy sometimes, a bad solder I'm told. I upgraded the lights to LED when they all burned out not too long ago. I only needed one LED bulb per meter and it looks sweet. Any other similar units you guys can recommend? Looks like 150 watts is the target. However, I know the Imperial 7's would like more as well, as they only run off the 2252B now.

I think that's all for now.

Best,

SJ

What foam are you talking about? If it is the foam surround on a speaker driver, and it's falling apart, it must be replaced.
If your woofers are black, they may not be original. Some pics would be very helpful. Pics of all of the drivers would be good.

Sorry for the confusion.

The foam inside the box.

I have seen other pictures of I9’s with these woofers.

And as soon as I figure out how my new iPhone 8 works (enter your explicative here)...

Here is a comparison of these monsters versus the Mission’s that were there.

Attachments

• 0742727A-79DB-449B-B74F-E10C63839B94.jpeg
    0742727A-79DB-449B-B74F-E10C63839B94.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 50
Early  Marantz Imperial 9 crossover.JPG Late marantz imperial 9 crossover.jpg I have both 7's and 9's and I'll try to answer your questions. I would leave in as much of the original sound deadening material as possible. The 7's use foam and the 9's use some type of pading. I would replace only what is missing. Foam will change the sound. I doubt that the woofers are original. Check to see if the woofers are 4 ohms. If they are 8 ohms, they are for sure not original. The originals looked just like the 7's woofer but with foam surronds. I replaced my non original 9's woofers with Midwest Speaker Repair's Klipsch 4 ohm replacement woofers and they work great. The 9's bass should be much deeper than the 7's. The tone knobs just pull straight off. Which crossover do your speakers use? My early crossover mid range tone control was wired wrong at the factory. The late crossover (cheaper) changes the sound somewhat. If yours has the early one, I can tell you how to check it. I hope this answers your questions. TR

Attachments

• Early  Marantz Imperial 9 crossover.JPG
    Early Marantz Imperial 9 crossover.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Late marantz imperial 9 crossover.jpg
    Late marantz imperial 9 crossover.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 32
Thanks much for your reply.

That’s not was I hoping to hear. When I can get some help, I’ll dig out one of the woofers and take some pictures.

I think mine have the later crossovers. Again, only took one woofer out on each to clean them up, but pretty sure that’s what I saw.

Keep in mind I am running the 9’s with the dbx subwoofer, so right now the 12” woofers in the 7’s thump. As to the 9’s thumping more with 2 10” woofers, that’s a Head scrather for me as in the band the 12” speakers are used for guitars in the 4 12” stacks and 15” speakers are used in the bass amp cab’s, so unless I’m missing something, I would presume the 7’s would thump more with the 12” woofers than even 2 10” woofers in the 9’s. Hope that makes sense!

I do think a more powerful amp will help, regardless. I just don’t know anything beyond the Proton I have.

Before I forget, I understand these speakers also had some form of a base or stand. If anyone has those, or the Masonite backing from the speaker grills, please let me know!!

Thanks again,

SJ

Musical instrument speakers (12" guitar speakers and 15" bass amp speakers) aren't woofers. They are meant to have cone break-up and introduce their own sound. They are a part of the instrument used to produce music.
The speaker drivers in a home (or PA) loudspeaker system are designed to reproduce music.
All else being equal, two 10" woofers will produce more bass, generally speaking. There will be twice as many voice coils to dissipate heat, and two 10" have greater cone area than one 12".

AFAIK, all of the Marantz Imperial 9s came with blue coned woofers.

Ah, interesting.

Ok, so also let me know if anyone has the right woofers for these speakers!

I’m disappointed in my purchase now.

Best,

SJ

Let's see a pic of what is in your speakers. They may be adequate to the task, if not ideal.

Will do. Unfortunately with this damn “unknown auto-immune disease,” my left hand (well most of my body) is fooked, so I’ll need my son to help me. Guessing soonest will be Saturday, unless I can find some other unwitting soul.

Thank you.

From what I’ve found, they can sit either way, fitting squarely on the stands/bases, on the shorter side.

Perhaps - I’m going to look and see what fits them best. Again, I only know this amp, so any suggestions are most welcome.

Here is a picture of a 9 sitting on a Marantz bass. This speaker has the original woofers that are usually in them

Attachments

• Marantz Imperial 9 Floorstanding Speaker 2012.jpg
    Marantz Imperial 9 Floorstanding Speaker 2012.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 45
Let’s try this again...

All:

I had all this typed out and loaded and it dumped off side of earth...

Story of my life.

Sorry, been sick as...

These 10” woofers are heavy and old.

Anyone confirm what they are? Anyone? Blank-d-o-o economics? Fry? Fry? Bueller?

Best,

Sj

Attachments

• BEB61D8E-E639-4803-9B61-EE0FA52E0736.jpeg
    BEB61D8E-E639-4803-9B61-EE0FA52E0736.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 119612AD-4BD3-4E5E-A2CF-971C12DADCA6.jpeg
    119612AD-4BD3-4E5E-A2CF-971C12DADCA6.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 9E77765A-3E91-4576-84A9-B1FC1AA2A538.jpeg
    9E77765A-3E91-4576-84A9-B1FC1AA2A538.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 32