Marantz LS-303 Aus. made speakers worth fixing?

aphex_nsw

I have an "Australian made" set of speakers from Marantz, LS-303.
Here's an image of them, site says 4way but they're not:
http://classic-hifi.net/product/marantz-ls-303-4/

I'm familiar with Marantz hifi components but not their speakers, both speakers work except for one midrange driver, is it worth tracking down an original driver for repair or just replacing both with some generic one? Are they worth it?

Thanks in advance

How does the good speaker sound? They look like decent drivers, especially the planar/ribbon tweeters. I'd probably look for an original midrange. Remove the midrange and get the information stamped on the magnet. Marantz didn't make their own drivers. The woofers look like they could be made by Tonegen, not sure about the tweeter, and the pictures aren't detailed enough to see what sort of midrange that is.

How does the good speaker sound? They look like decent drivers, especially the planar/ribbon tweeters. I'd probably look for an original midrange. Remove the midrange and get the information stamped on the magnet. Marantz didn't make their own drivers. The woofers look like they're made by Tonegen, not sure about the tweeter, and the pictures aren't detailed enough to see what sort of midrange that is.

Unfortunately the tweeters are just paper or piezoelectrics in disguise! They sound alright, pretty nice lows for what I paid which I think was $40, but nothing special. Midrange is also a paper cone driver.

If they're the sort of speaker where the manufacturer used deception in their design, I probably wouldn't put any more money into them, especially since you said they're nothing special. They were designed more for show than go. I'd bet that your money would be spent on a better pair of speakers, especially since I'd bet that the cost of any decent speaker drivers down there in NSW (or anywhere in Aus) is pretty high.

Back
Top Bottom