Marantz Model 18/19 Power Switch Replacement

Fhamre

I have two Model 19's. My latest came to me with the power switch bypassed. The old switch has a large hole burned out of it and you can clearly see when it went ,there was more than just a little spark. Quite the burn mark on the chassis. Well repairing the switch is not an option.
I have been searching the net and this forum looking for options. The 18 and 19 share the same switch. Its a panel mount toggle that mounts to about a 5/8" hole. There are toggle switches out there but most will not fit this hole size unless you mount a smaller plate over the original. And when that's done it will work but will not look original.
The last listed Model 18 switch listed on epray went for over $80.00 US. And who knows how long that switch would last. I am currently troubleshooting this 19 but got tired on using it bypassed. So I decided to put in a standard Alps type push type switch we commonly use in Marantz units. There is enough room on the mounting plate to drill pilot holes ,then undersized holes for the fine thread screws. The metal is soft enough that you don't need to tap it. Just carefully screw into the metal will cut threads. Note everything I did was done in such a way that if at some point I put an original switch back it will be easy as nothing I have done will affect the mounting.
I also added a safety cap for good measure. To get enough room to do this I had to remove the headphone jack out of the way and loosen the speaker switch.
After I put it in and tested it I realized I had a few black plastic caps in an old parts box that with a little silicon fits the switch and face plate opening. The black matches the look of the rest of the buttons. If desired I can cut the first segment off the power switch to make the switch not stick out as much.
Fairly simple solution.
IMG_0745.JPG IMG_0763.JPG IMG_0765.JPG IMG_0769.JPG IMG_0770.JPG

Back
Top Bottom