Marantz Model 22

ddelu

Someone gave me a working Marantz Model 22 in a walnut cabinet. It had bee stored for awhile and I've been cleaning and polishing, knob by knob. Amazingly, all the bulbs work except for one meter. The receiver works well. The tuning seems to be spot on for FM. Haven't tested AM yet. One problem. The two tuning capacitors appear to be out of sync. The tuning dial only goes to the left as far as 92.0 Mhz. Of the two tuning capacitors, the upper small four gang unit is as far down as it can go. The larger three gang capacitor still has some turning space left. Can I just disconnect the gears and sync the two. It couldn't be that easy. I keep hearing a voice in my head saying "do not try this at home. This is only for trained professionals". Any comments?

Nice little score--but ask yourself these questions--1)when the tuning indecator stops at 108mhz(the far right), have the capacitors turned all the way to the other end? 2)Is the tuning string a replacement thats in the wrong place? 3)If you are still stuck, then send it to a tech. and4):worthless

It was pretty common on string-driven tuners to have this happen. It would sit for a long time, and the string would take a "set". When you get to that end, the string slips on the shaft rather than driving the tuning plates. If thats the case, you'll need to restring it.

Marantz tuning

To reply to theblackknight, when I tune all the way to the right, the larger three gang capaciter is maxed. The smaller four gang capaciter still has a ways to go. I think Artie hit the nail on the head. The unit did set for awhile. I'll have to find someone to restring the tuner. Oh well, I guess this "free" receiver wasn't so free after all. Just how good was the Model 22 anyway? For theblackknight, I couldn't shrink the 4 megapixl shots down to allowable upload size without taking alot of time.

Last edited:
Yes, Artie knows his stuff better than I do.:yes: I hope you get it fixed and working properly.:)

It was also a very good receiver in its day. Retailed for $450.

Back
Top Bottom