marantz model 27

If the cosmetics are good, I'd say grab it.
However keep in mind that model is about 40
years old. So dont be surprised if at some point
you have to get it serviced.

Was that not the model that Saul was engineering in production? Everyone I have seen had 'field engineering' on it.

It looks very good cosmetically .I thought it might be a good opportunity to get a nice vintage marantz peice for my collection .But if it has to be serviced , I will have too much invested in it, so I,m having second thought,s I will have to think about it . If I want to sell it I might not get my monet back out of it .

I think there were two versions of the Model 27. The first one had six buttons under the tunning dial and I thinks that this is the one that was original progress. The second version (the one I have) has 7 buttons under the dial and has been completely trouble free and wonderful sounding (listening to it as I type this). I don't see any evidence of circuit mods or jumpers on this version.

It looks very good cosmetically .

I thought it might be a good opportunity to get a nice vintage marantz peice for my collection .

But if it has to be serviced , I will have too much invested in it, so I,m having second thought,s I will have to think about it . If I want to sell it I might not get my monet back out of it .

I purchased this one today. It is serviced. Apart from the left bulb. ;)

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 378
I think there were two versions of the Model 27. The first one had six buttons under the tunning dial and I thinks that this is the one that was a work in progress. The second version (the one I have) has 7 buttons under the dial and has been completely trouble free and wonderful sounding (listening to it as I type this). I don't see any evidence of circuit mods or jumpers on this version.

I passed on a very nice looking 6 button model 27. It looks like the OP scored the 7 button. :thmbsp:

It is pretty impolite folks not to answer my question. I think I should stop my contributions (I just started) to the Marantz forum again.

It is pretty impolite folks not to answer my question. I think I should stop my contributions (I just started) to the Marantz forum again.

Maybe no one, that's read this thread, knows the answer.

Sad to think of someone who would imagine there are all these people who know the answer yet will not answer him. And now, based on the distorted reality, threatens to withhold his contributions "again" to teach us a lesson.

Relax...breathe thru your nose...ohmmm. :)

Last edited:

Not much is known about the history of the 2x series. Depending on how you see the 19s relationship with Standard Radio of Japan, the 2x series is either the 1st or 2nd. The 19 initially was assembled in the US anx then latter the 19 was kitted in the US, sent to Standard Radio where it was assembled, and then sent back to the US for final quality control testing and packaging. All components down to the last bolt and nut was the same as the US assembled unit. Some assert the 19 is the 1st Japanese, others like myself do not as all the engineering, significant parts, final testing and packaging was done Stateside. The label on these state they were "assembled" in Japan, not manufactured.

The 2X series were a hybrid Standard Radio and Marantz component. For the most part the innards are stock Standard Radio, the regular tuning knob Marantz had replaced wkth the Model 19 thumbwheel, their exclusive signature except for when JVC stole it For a couple of series and ended up in court. Not sure about Citation's thumbwheel. Marantz at that time was in financial straights and may have sold a license for its use to HK or the patent had run out. The 19 faceplate became the company's flag bearer with the thumbwheel. The 2x series used an engraved version of the 19's design. Also the knob design was lifted from the Marantz line. All in all they sort of looked like a 19. More importantly where Saul wanted the18 facia to be the new Marantz look, the brothers over road him and went with the 19 look in effect constructively removing him as the company President and as an employee. He walked and a day later the entire engineering group also left. This was a total radical clean sweep of the company's engineering. Going forward the new team had nothing from the past. The 22xx series was still a Standard Radio design but, the new look was taller, closer to the dimensions other companies were promoting successfully while under the hood the circuits were carried forward from the 2x series. In the case of the 2270, this carry forward was a might too much with the tone amp. The working voltages were increased but the components specs stayed the same and the dream machine died almost immediately after being plugged in.

I hope this answers your question.

Oh, to the Op's question, I would grab it for the price range being discussed. The 2x Marantz series gets little notice bug sets the Marantz voicing for quite a few generations. In some ways it was a crucial series for Marantz. If it failed, the company would likely have failed as there was nothing in the kitty. The only company making money they had was Superscope and even that was under attack. Pushing Saul out cost a lot of money and though a bargain, buying into Standard Radio of Japan cost a lot.

There was no power amp in the series. But, it had the tuner/preamp. Had the 2x line looked mike the 18, the unit would have looked great with the 15 power amp. As it was, put each in a wood sleeve and stack the amp on the tuner and the pair looked great and sounded even better. For sound, they were right there with the MX114 and MC250. For looks, a tossup. I used the pair for about a year and was more than impressed with each component and more so with them as a system. They had amazing synergy.

Last edited:
I am always amazed at Brian's vast knowledge of vintage gear and sales from the golden era of stereo.:thmbsp:
I appreciate your taking the time to fill us in on the little known "behind the scenes" info! :yes:

Bob

I purchased this one today. It is serviced. Apart from the left bulb. ;)

It looks like you got a nice model 27 (with the 7 buttons) how do you like it?

Brian, thank you so much for an amazing bit of history. It's wonderful to see how these amazing, talented individuals, like Saul have such an incredible mastery of their craft that once they are gone - puff! dozens of engineers and whatevers in megacorp can never equal one super talented individual.

Not much is known about the history of the 2x series. Depending on how you see the 19s relationship with Standard Radio of Japan, the 2x series is either the 1st or 2nd. The 19 initially was assembled in the US anx then latter the 19 was kitted in the US, sent to Standard Radio where it was assembled, and then sent back to the US for final quality control testing and packaging. All components down to the last bolt and nut was the same as the US assembled unit. Some assert the 19 is the 1st Japanese, others like myself do not as all the engineering, significant parts, final testing and packaging was done Stateside. The label on these state they were "assembled" in Japan, not manufactured.

The 2X series were a hybrid Standard Radio and Marantz component. For the most part the innards are stock Standard Radio, the regular tuning knob Marantz had replaced wkth the Model 19 thumbwheel, their exclusive signature except for when JVC stole it For a couple of series and ended up in court. Not sure about Citation's thumbwheel. Marantz at that time was in financial straights and may have sold a license for its use to HK or the patent had run out. The 19 faceplate became the company's flag bearer with the thumbwheel. The 2x series used an engraved version of the 19's design. Also the knob design was lifted from the Marantz line. All in all they sort of looked like a 19. More importantly where Saul wanted the18 facia to be the new Marantz look, the brothers over road him and went with the 19 look in effect constructively removing him as the company President and as an employee. He walked and a day later the entire engineering group also left. This was a total radical clean sweep of the company's engineering. Going forward the new team had nothing from the past. The 22xx series was still a Standard Radio design but, the new look was taller, closer to the dimensions other companies were promoting successfully while under the hood the circuits were carried forward from the 2x series. In the case of the 2270, this carry forward was a might too much with the tone amp. The working voltages were increased but the components specs stayed the same and the dream machine died almost immediately after being plugged in.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you, sir, for this detailed answer!

Back
Top Bottom