A friend called to tell me about a Marantz they had stumbled across at a thrift store so I shot over and found this odd ball. It was in great shape. A little dirty but no scratches or smoke and was in the original box. So I grabbed it and quickly dug in to see what was needed. It sounded dull, lights were out and the needle was bent. It also had the usual dried up grease issues. Keep in mind this is an after photo. I couldn't find the "before" one I had taken. I did a complete recap except for the tuner section and replaced the troublesome 458 transistors. A good cleaning of the controls and it was sounding pretty good. Added some blue LEDs for effect. It's actually in surprisingly good condition for it's age. One small crack in the lid in the back that is barely noticeable. I also "upgraded" the speaker terminals since one of the push caps was missing and it was painful to attach speaker wires. Next was the turntable... So the gear was seized to the shaft and the whole thing was spinning. It is riveted on so I had no choice but to drill it out of the chassis, then drill, tap it and reattach with a small bolt. If someone attempts this repair, I recommend being very careful hammering the stuck shaft out of the gear. I used a deep well socket to support the gear and a small, flat tipped punch to carefully drive the seized shaft out. If your not careful you can crush the groove that the C-clip slides into, resulting in real problems. Also notice the rubber isolating bushings on the spindle were melted as well. I ended up using a different bolt than this due to clearance issues. Back in. I'm thinking this is a fairly common problem that eventually trashes a lot of these tables. It really wasn't that hard to fix. Now for the melted rubber bushings problem. I thought a couple o-rings would be a good solution but they ended up being too thick and the platter didn't line up with the gear properly. The solution was to sandwich them between 2 stainless spatulas on the electric stove to heat and flatten. Once they got hot enough, I kept the pressure on and had my son put an ice cube on the top spatula to cool it quickly. I worked well and they stayed somewhat flat and were still flexible. If someone were to attempt this, I'd get some extras to practice on. Unfortunately I didn't get any flattened pics . I took lots of pics as I disassembled. I used rubbing alcohol to clean off the old grease. For lubricant I used a long lasting 3 in 1 oil in some places and in others I sprayed lithium grease into a small cup and applied with a "Q-tip". I'm not sure this was the best choice for lubes but it's what I had on hand. I'm sure there are many post regarding cleaning/re-lubing turntables with much better advice. I really just wanted to share my gear and bushing fixes. It played slow and I ended up disassembling the motor and giving it a good clean and lube. A light sanding on the idler wheel rubber with 220 grit and the speed was correct again. I put a new Shure stylus on the original cartridge. It sounds OK but is very bright. I'm thinking it could benefit from a new cartridge but I've taken it as far as I'm willing to go. I'll let the next person deal with that. I doubt there is any profit left in this one but it was certainly a fun project!