Marantz Multi- Voltage 2270 with Vinyl Veneered cabinet ..... Weird......

boatdrinks77

Picked up a broken Marantz 2270 yesterday -- multi-voltage unit in a wood case. The case looks like every other Marantz 22XX case, except it is Vinyl Veneered .... Anyone ever seen one before ?? Also, the power cord is has a three pronged grounded end on it. Looks original. I'll take some pics of it in a bit.....

Anyone familiar with these multi-voltage units ? When I got the receiver, there was NO output and neither the FM or AM worked at all (tuning meter and signal strength meters do not move) There are 4 internal fuses next to the power supply board - one has 0 volts across it, two have 35V and one has 120v.....No the fuse is not blown...

With the help of Marantz Guru Tom aka CATRAFTER, he determined one of the power amp boards is bad, causing it to go into protection mode. So, I clipped the wire from the bad board to the protection relay and viola - the receiver started working (through headphones) along with the tuner section (well working from the good channel) Still no voltage on that 4th fuse.....hmm.

Does anyone know what the 4th fuse is for ? I was thinking maybe when you wire the receiver for a different country it utilizes that circuit ??? Curious.... Dan :music:

Most Marantz 22xx receivers came from the factory with a wood grain vinyl over the metal case. The wood cases, such as the WC-22, were optional, and the entire factory unit, including vinyl covered case, slipped inside the wood case.

Yes, I'm aware that the original cover is metal covered in wood looking vinyl veneer......this is a WC-22 cabinet made with vinyl veneer, not walnut veneer...

Ahhhh....now that IS unusual. Do you think someone added it to a beat up wood case? Can you tell if it has hardwood veneer under it?

I have a couple 2230 and 2270 with vinyl covered wood cases that are close to an OEM WC22 but not quite.
I think there must have been some after market suppliers back in the day that had them available if you couldn't spring for a true Marantz WC 22.

Bob

I have a couple 2230 and 2270 with vinyl covered wood cases that are close to an OEM WC22 but not quite.
I think there must have been some after market suppliers back in the day that had them available if you couldn't spring for a true Marantz WC 22.

Bob

I think you are correct Bob.

I bought a McIntosh tuner online and was shocked when I received it in a vinyl veneered case. I actually called McIntosh and asked them and they said that they DID make vinyl veneer cabinets for a couple of years to cut costs (their were 2 style cabinets available - walnut veneer or vinyl veneer) , but went back to real Walnut because it didn't fit their perception of what "higher end equipment" should look like.

Also, I have been told that Marantz did not make the cabinets, they were farmed out to a few cabinet companies who made the WC-22's....

I have the info on the internal fuses but at home. I'll post later. Be aware that the amperages on the stickers are for 200V+ operation. The main one labeled 3A should be 4A when wired for US operation.

I have the info on the internal fuses but at home. I'll post later. Be aware that the amperages on the stickers are for 200V+ operation. The main one labeled 3A should be 4A when wired for US operation.

Thanks ! I thought maybe this thread got focused on the type of cabinet the Marantz came with and everyone forgot my technical questions ! lol Dan :music:

Fuse1 (top) - 1A
Transformer secondary for power supply

Fuse2 - 1A
Same as Fuse1. In other words, both legs of the secondary are fused.

Fuse3 - labelled 3A, 4A in the US
Main AC power

Fuse4 (bottom) - 3A
8Vac secondary for lamps

I've never had a Euro model, but seems I have read in theses threads that the Euro model came with a 3 prong power plug to meet European design standards. Hopefully someone will confirm.

I've never had a Euro model, but seems I have read in theses threads that the Euro model came with a 3 prong power plug to meet European design standards. Hopefully someone will confirm.

Mine has a three prong power plug...

004.JPG

Here is a pic of the Jumper board for selecting destination voltage......

009.JPG

Here are pics of the fuse board......

010.JPG

012.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom