Hirrebirre

Hello!

I recently laid my hands on a A/V receiver from Marantz slimline, model NR1501.

In the ad it said it was defect since it wouldn´t come out of standby mode. First I assumed it was in some protect mode caused by shorted transistors at the output so I bought it cheap and was excited since I really like to repair electronics.

When it arrived I plugged it in and it immediately went into standby mode, so far so good. I then tried to power it on via the remote controll. Nothing happens. I then thought if the remote controll maybe where the faulty part so I tried to power it on by pressing the other buttons on the receiver, it worked. I now can set it on/off wih the power button on the receiver, without it ever going in standby mode.

Everything else on the remote controll sems to work, only the on/off function that doesnt work. This is problem #1.

Problem #2:
If I play music from my phone via one of the two AUX inputs, it works. However, if i plug in my TV with HDMI or Toslink it will only play when source direct is active. Otherwise its just sounds like when listening to a radio without reception. Even when I have source direct active its not sounding good at all, only better then when its not active.

I´ve already disassembled the unit once and took away all the dust which honestly wasnt much at all, but something I always tend to do when i get new gear.
I also made some basic measurments with DMM and oscilloscope on the regulated power rails and found nothing strange there. SInce its the digital inputs that are troublesome i´m guessing something on the digital board but that seems like a nightmare to troubleshoot...

I hope that my descriptions of these problem are at least somewhat understandible and that someone on this fantastic forum may have some tips or guidence for me. I would really appreciate any help and can provide pictures also if thats helpful.

I cannot find the service manual on my usual websites so if anyone know how to get it I would be very happy :)

I´m pretty new in the HiFi world but very eager to learn. Especially about the troubleshooting piece of art :)

Regards

hello,
here is the Addendum! I can't upload the service manual!
Hope it helps
Also do a firmware update!

Attachments

• NR1501_U_N_K_Addendum_UG_v00.pdf
    504.5 KB · Views: 108
Thank you for the service manual dimanag. It really provided some usefull help on how to proceed.

Unfortunately, it also revealed that the problem is in the DSP board (as i suspected).
I have checked the voltages and they seems to be ok so my conlusion is that the chip itself is bad.

I therefore judge this one to the junk bin.

Really dissapointing tbh.

Sorry to hear that!
Did you upgrade the firmware?
If this din't help i will look for the initial firmware and mail it!

No, I haven´t upgraded it yet. Maybe should try that. Dont think I have the right cable tho..

The worst thing about this receiver is that it is so hard to reach the underside of the HDMI board where the DSP is located.

The good thing is that the analog inputs still works fine :)

Sorry to hear that!
Did you upgrade the firmware?
If this din't help i will look for the initial firmware and mail it!
Hi Dimanag,

Do you have the firmware for the main CPU (IC102) in the NR1501?
I've found some reference to the flashing software, the programming cable, but nothing for the firmware online!

Many thanks
Chirs

There is a "fix" for a common problem on these.
The power regulator on the HDMI board needs a cap added.
I've fixed about 5 of these.
Damn HDMI. I see some really nice stuff that is dead because the HDMI stuff.

C1204 on the HDMI board doesn't cut it.
Add a 1000uf, 16V across pins 1 and 4 on IC1005
Pin 4 is the case, same as pin 2, they are the positive side of the cap.

That trick fixed 80% of the NR1501 I've worked on.

Typical symptoms were, it turned on but no sound or crappy sound. It may get sound "after a while".

Favorite Quote: "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

What a great line. I'm still chuckling....

The service manual is too big to upload! if you want I can sent it via email!
Hi!
I would like to have a copy of the service manual and an updated firmware file, if possible.
If by any chance you could share it, I would appreciate it very much!
Thanks in adnace.
Cheers,
Jose

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I recently repair a Marantz NR1501 by fixing the so famous regulator capacitor problem :rflmao:

I have also restore the remote control applying graphit paint on the back of the gum keyboard, and all seems work fine now !

But ... this unit is a second hand and i never heard it before fixing it.

I notice some points which let me think i could improve the repair.

In fact i hear a very low continuous high frequency sound when no source is playing. Imagine the sound you think hearing when you come back, early morning, from a gig or the disco :rockon: but very low ok !

Please let me say that i've already try to switch to "direct source" sound to eleminate potentialy noise due to the sound processor chips ! But with no change :dunno:

Some others noticeable things :

1- this annoyning sound stay equal even if the volume is changed, remenber no sound playing !
2- If i use the VSS output to an other amp there is no buzz... so i think its due to the amplifier section stage.
3 - If i select eg the blu-ray source, which is not connected, the front pannel led blink and generate a very low noise like car turn signal ;)

If a NR1501 owner can confirm that this amp is good enough to not sound like this when is fully functionnal, i will search the causes of those things.

But at the time i dont detect any problem, after inspecting the differents boards, the solders, and checking some references points with a volt meter.

Every advice, comment or idea are welcome

best regards
Ioda

Good afternoon everyone;
I just picked up one of these but I need the remote; model #RC 006SR. Does anyone have one they’re willing to sell to me?

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom