Marantz NR1607 stuck in "update retry"

Gibixx

Hello everyone,
I have subscribed to this forum because many people posted problems similar to mine, finding solutions.
I have bought today a marantz nr1607 surround amplifier/ receiver from a flea market. The price was suspicious, but for a mere 15€ price, i decided to risk it.
The unit turns itself on as soon as I connect the mains power, and after displaying "AV RECEIVER", the selected source and "Main On" it gets stuck on "UPDATE RETRY" with a bunch of cycling arrows.
I then followed the instructions on the Marantz website, downloading the USB firmware update. I started the procedure, but after several hours the unit was still displyaing "USB AllUpdate...".
Concerned, I disconnected and reconnected the mains only to get to the same "Update retry" display.
The unit does not show anything on my TV, and it does not respond to the "Factory reset" button combinations found online (M-DAX + Zone 2 Source, or Zone 2 Source + Internet radio). I have even tried connecting it via ethernet to my modem/router, to o avail. The unit does not even get recognized by the router and does not show up in the DHCP network devices list. I honestly do not know what to do anymore.
Does anyone know how to fix this wonderful device? All the relays click fine, and the unit even shows the tuner FM frequency before getting stuck. It even responds to some remote buttons correctly. I am quite sure that the problem is firmware-based.
I am not an expert in digital audio equipment and software, so please tolerate my ignorance. Thank you for your time in advance.

Greetings welcome to AK.. (from a yank :D)
I'm sure you found the update page d&m holdings? year 2016. Same description as your post. Try this
https://marantz.custhelp.com/app/utils/login_form/redirect/account%2Fpurchprod%2Falist

Being in the UK might be an issue to connect? as all I saw was N.Amercan updates ?? Gotta be a solution to clear the cmos as unit keeps going home to call 'mummy'. What I read was takes and hour to finish update and don't mess the unit. But maybe you can get a solution in my link. Make sure your remote batteries are new and point the remote toward the receiver face.. don't know if they communitcate?? who knows? I didn't read that just a guess.
bink

Greetings welcome to AK.. (from a yank :D)
I'm sure you found the update page d&m holdings? year 2016. Same description as your post. Try this
https://marantz.custhelp.com/app/utils/login_form/redirect/account%2Fpurchprod%2Falist

Being in the UK might be an issue to connect? as all I saw was N.Amercan updates ?? Gotta be a solution to clear the cmos as unit keeps going home to call 'mummy'. What I read was takes and hour to finish update and don't mess the unit. But maybe you can get a solution in my link. Make sure your remote batteries are new and point the remote toward the receiver face.. don't know if they communitcate?? who knows? I didn't read that just a guess.
bink

Thank you for the kind reply. :)
I am Italian, I don't know if that changes anything, but the updates I got were from a link found in the british marantz website.
Your link redirects me to the Marantz login page, but I don't have a marantz account yet.
I agree with the idea of convincing the device not to call "mummy" every time it starts up, but I can't seem to find a reset procedure.
Is it possible that the on-board firmware has become corrupted somehow?
I will create a Marantz account tomorrow (if they allow me) and I will see if they offer anything special to logged members.
By the way, the remote has brand new batteries and the keys that don't seem to work are mainly the ones needed for the grafical user interface. Since the device is'nt showing anything at all on the TV I guess it is just "not listening" to such commands when in "Update retry" mode.
The unit, strangely enough, was boxed and complete with manuals and power cord. That's really unusual for a flea market.:rolleyes:
I know I write too much, sorry.:blah:
Cheers;)

I have run across a few, very few, where pulling the battery for the cmos would clear saved data. If a battery is used to store settings, ect. in the cmos memory try pulling it out for a few minutes. Also check to see if the battery is still good if one was used.

No problem with Italian!! I love the food. Ferrari is also a fav. wish I owned one!

Unfortunately no service manual. That unit is recently new and has to have a solution.

https://support.marantz.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7258/kw/Firmware

Gotta hold 2 buttons to go back to prior firmware

Firmware Regression (Factory Restore) Procedure:

- Put the unit in Standby. (Zones powered off)
- Press and hold the “Button A” and “Button B” buttons on the front panel.
- While holding in the above buttons power on the unit.
- You will see "Restoring FW..." on the display. Once you see that, release the 2 buttons and give it about 10 minutes to complete.

Models: Button A/B Combo

NR1200: STATUS & SPEAKER

NR1508, NR1509, NR1510, NR1608, NR1609, NR1710: STATUS & PURE DIRECT

SR5012, SR5013, SR5014, SR6012, SR6013, SR6014: M-DAX & TUNER PRESET CH +

SR7011, SR7012, SR7013, AV7703, AV7704, AV7705, SR8012, AV8805: M-DAX & DYNAMIC EQ

Back
Top Bottom