1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz Opportunity

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews & Opinions' started by HippieAsh69, Nov 24, 2018.

1. HippieAsh69

HippieAsh69 New Member

B8101DB9-DD07-471A-985B-111FFBECCE91.jpeg ADDD4F88-EC7A-4965-ACC0-90EE139ED2E3.jpeg I’ve been looking for a vintage system for quite a long time. I found this Marantz system for sale for $425. Yay or nay? Is it a good deal? I don’t have the model number yet, but I’m waiting for it.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

Nay

That’s not vintage, that’s old school.

Vintage has a silver aluminum face with real knobs.

The one you show is maybe worth $50.
    Maybe.

HippieAsh69 likes this.
  3. Chrisxo55441

Chrisxo55441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

i'll 2nd the Nay

HippieAsh69 likes this.
  4. vintageboy

vintageboy Chicago HiFi Subscriber

Dont buy it

Nothing special

HippieAsh69 likes this.
  5. wlhd1610

wlhd1610 Penny and her new friend Sponsor Subscriber

Nay

BPC!

Bob

HippieAsh69 likes this.
  6. HippieAsh69

HippieAsh69 New Member

324D0EEF-E156-43E8-B9AB-F2B9BBDB546F.jpeg 324D0EEF-E156-43E8-B9AB-F2B9BBDB546F.jpeg I have a Pioneer PL-L800, but I haven’t gotten anything to build from it yet. Would y’all think that the Pioneer TT is a good one to work with? I have looked at two sets of Technics speakers (SB-L55 and SB-L51) and a Technics receiver. So basically this minus the TT. I’d use my Pioneer. This I could get for $200. Thoughts since y’all are nay on the Marantz?

7. likebike23

likebike23 Super Member

Too much money for all that gear. The Marantz setup is a cheapo rack from the 80's and i agree with the $50 appraisal.

The Technics speakers don't look like anything special and the receiver looks to be a smaller, low wattage unit. That setup would be maybe $80-100 near me.

Your turntable seems to be decent and if working would be fine for the time being.

8. HippieAsh69

HippieAsh69 New Member

9. HippieAsh69

HippieAsh69 New Member

I don’t have a set of speakers for my TT which is why I was looking to get something like these.

10. HippieAsh69

HippieAsh69 New Member

Any suggestions on a set of speakers for not a ton of money but that sound decent on my old vinyl?

11. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is? Subscriber

Looks like you're specifically set on Marantz, but if you're on a budget at all, know that the Marantz "tax" is pretty steep these days.

Just post up what your budget is
    and
    what sort of music you like
    and
    what your amp is

You'll get great recommendations here to fit what you want.

12. HippieAsh69

HippieAsh69 New Member

No. No, I’m in no way married to Marantz. That’s why I asked because I thought it was a pretty good system. My preference would be to build a Pioneer system around my Pioneer TT. I don’t have more than about $200-$400 to spend now and that would have to include the amp. I don’t have anything now except my vintage Zenith 1969 console, and a little Crosley all-in-one which I don’t want to risk ruining my albums on. My music is classic 60s-70s, Janis Joplin, Cream, CCR.

13. likebike23

likebike23 Super Member

I hear you. Not to be creepy, but if you post a general location, like when I put Western MA in my profile, members can comb the local Craigslist and link possible solutions for you.

My only gripe with both of those systems is the price. You should be able to do a lot better for your money. In my area $425 gets a really nice receiver and set of speakers.

14. HippieAsh69

HippieAsh69 New Member

I’m in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in Texas. Any an all help would be great! I spend a lot of time looking!!

15. spark1

spark1 Super Member

The PL-L800, if in good working condition, is a nice table with good performance. It can certainly be more than just a "placeholder".

I quickly scanned the DFW CL...there is a set of Boston HD9 speakers for $125. If you could get them for less than $100, they would be a good deal. Of course, speakers are very subjective, but I find the Boston A, HD and CR8/9 speakers to offer good value and an appealing sound. Add a subwoofer later and you might find that you don't need to go any further. Note that you may need to replace foam surrounds on the speakers if they've not been done before. Pretty easy to do, and inexpensive...and something an audio enthusiast on a budget should learn to do anyway!

If you need a means to power them, consider an integrated amp...they are often less than receivers, and unless you listen to FM will do everything you need. There is an Onkyo 8190 on CL, but at $195 it is significantly overpriced. Too bad, because these are pretty good amps. It is a new listing....keep an eye on it. Perhaps if it doesn't sell in a week or two, the seller will take a more reasonable price for it.

HippieAsh69 likes this.
  16. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

Hi Ash,

Welcome aboard new member :)
    I agree, I would pass on that Marantz setup for that cost.
    You have to watch out for old speakers because the surrounds rot out, esp if they are foam types.
    Nothing really wrong with the Zenith console if it works and sounds okay, some people prefer tube amps.
    I understand that you want a good TT setup with a good cartridge, so that it does not wear out your records so fast., good luck keep looking.