Marantz or Onkyo Integrated?

Madbugger

Hello all, I have a few vintage amps and receivers but am looking to pick up something new. Mostly used for vinyl with headphones but I do have a few pairs of older Advent, KLH & EPI's that I use at low to moderate levels. I listen to all types of music but mostly classic rock, punk, new wave etc. I enjoy a big fat punchy sound with good separation. I had a Yamaha AS301 and returned it, it had no guts to it. So I am torn between Marantz PM6005 or 5005 and Onkyo A 9010 or 9050. I hear that the Onkyo 9010 sounds better than the 9050 but the 9050 seems to be better built. I am guessing that the Marantz are pretty equal except one has DAC which I do not really need at the moment but maybe in the future? If anyone with any experience with any of these amps has some insight, it is much appreciated.

I have a PM8005 and its excellent. I listened to a variety of amps before buying it 2 years ago and it was among the best. I went with it because in addition to good sound in "direct" mode it offered tone controls for bass, mid and treble and a 2 year warranty and was built in the Marantz Japan Reference factory. I have owned the brand before and it has been as good as those older units. I woudl stay away from those with a DAC built in as that technology is changing rapidly and you should get a good free standing unit. They can be found for as little as $100 for USB versions and $200 for separate units from cos like Schitt Audio. Also, to deliver an integrated with a DAC the manufacturer hs to reduce costs somewhere else, generally that is the quality elsewhere in the amp. The PM6005 has gotten good writerups so I would go for that.

I have a PM8005 and its excellent. I listened to a variety of amps before buying it 2 years ago and it was among the best. I went with it because in addition to good sound in "direct" mode it offered tone controls for bass, mid and treble and a 2 year warranty and was built in the Marantz Japan Reference factory. I have owned the brand before and it has been as good as those older units. I woudl stay away from those with a DAC built in as that technology is changing rapidly and you should get a good free standing unit. They can be found for as little as $100 for USB versions and $200 for separate units from cos like Schitt Audio. Also, to deliver an integrated with a DAC the manufacturer hs to reduce costs somewhere else, generally that is the quality elsewhere in the amp. The PM6005 has gotten good writerups so I would go for that.

Cool, thanks for the reply!

Any reason you are not considering the Nad integrated amps? As for your two options, the general consensus I've read leans toward the Marantz gear.

If you can get the PM8005 that would be my rec. have you made the purchase, or are you still on the fence?

Any reason you are not considering the Nad integrated amps? As for your two options, the general consensus I've read leans toward the Marantz gear.

I was originally like the op and looking onkyo and marantz pm line, but now I'm leaning towards Nad...they can be had for quite a reasonable price on refurb

I've had issues with a Marantz amp and SACD player. Both I bought new within the last 5 years.

I've had two new Onkyo components during the same time period that have been stellar.

Back
Top Bottom