Marantz PM7200 problem?

ATucker

I'm a "Newbie", and by no means an "Audiophile", but I'm trying to change that!

I just acquired a used Marantz PM7200. (It was a gift, and had "about 30 hours use") The person I got the unit from is very knowledgable concerning audio equipment...but this stumps both of us. The unit is basically brand new, and has not been abused. It worked perfectly, before I hooked it up. It seems simple, BUT...

When I hook up a CD player to the CD inputs, I can only get sound when the "Source Direct" button is "On". This disables the Bass, Treble and Balance controls. There is nothing else hooked up to the amp. I've tried about every combination of button pushing possible. I can't even get sound through the headphone jack without the "Source Direct" on. I have tried connecting the CD player to different jacks, also...(Aux1, Aux2, Etc) The only thing I haven't tried is reversing the pins in the processor In/Out jacks. They are inserted Left to Right, and I've been told they should be In to Out...if that makes sense. I hope that is the problem!!

The sound is absolutely awesome, but it doesn't seem right that the unit will only function in one mode.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

ATucker

Do you have a picture of the faceplate?

Maybe that can give us a better idea of what the controls are like, a PM7200 isn't a common unit.

Count yourself lucky you haven't killed the output stage of your sources, as you have been shorting the L&R channels together!

The links should be between "in" & "out"

Back
Top Bottom