Marantz PM8004 review

The Marantz IS a fine integrated..never let the powers that be, tell you what's good OR bad, if they haven't spent a great deal of time listening to it period! My 8004 bested my Naim Nait 5i (love that amp) had two, and my Rega Brio R ...On very revealing Maggies as well as Spendors and my ET keepers..SO yes do enjoy...:banana:

I owned the Marantz PM 8004 for over a year. I just sold it; hopefully, the buyer will like it as much as I did! I replaced the PM 8004 with a Primaluna Prologue One tube integrated, which has added bloom and dimensionality to music that none of the class A/B SS amps I've tried could muster -- but that's another discussion!

Back to the Marantz PM 8004, I think all of the comments above have been spot on. The lower noise floor really does help contribute to more realistic sound in the way instruments just pop out of a black background; one can easily differentiate and follow individual instruments during songs, nothing ever sounds disorganized as a result. None of the other integrated amps I've had (nad c326, rega brio-r, peachtree decco, arcam 18, yba wa202) could compare in this regard. This quality set the pm 8004 apart and I usually noticed its absence, as well as its special clarity in the midrange and smoothness up top, when trying other amps in my system. In my mind, these tonal qualities allowed it to really excel playing vocal, jazz and classical music. On the other hand, if you value a bright, lively, and upbeat sort of sound, the marantz would not be my first pick. Finally, as others have also mentioned, the build quality, from the case, to quality of components inside, to the built in phono stage, to even the speaker inputs, is exceptional through and through. Based on the quality of the pm 8004, the Marantz reference range must be something else.

I just picked up an 8004 myself not too long ago. I can't add much to what's already been said but here's my take. I picked the 8004 because it had the 3 tone control configuration and it's true -- the midrange is its strong point. Large and lush!
My frame of reference is updated and rebuilt vintage Pioneer. What I noticed is the much improved imaging this IA offers. Really nice. I use it with an older Sony SACD 333 ES that's been modded a bit. The individual instruments each sound full clean and have great presence.

I use 2 pairs of JBL's, L112's and L46's and the Marantz doesn't break a sweat! Not even really warm. Some reviews I read seemed to suggest the 8004 might have a harder time with 4 ohm drivers running 2 pairs. I would bet you'ld have to be cranking the volume quite a bit to make this unit huff.

As said, I think the midrange is its strong point. What I really was surprised at is how good this amp is with Jazz. The best! I'm not really a big jazz fan but I listen to more of it now. Might be the combo of the system but sax, drums, piano really pop. Same with vocals.
What I find not so endearing (at least in my set up) is the amp's ability or inability to handle rock music or other music genras that are "busy" with many layers of instrumentation/vocals. I also find that the higher end treble lacks in these styles. Sometimes the cymbals seem thin and dry but that might just be me or my components. Then again, when the 8004 is used for folk, acoustic blues, especially Jazz -- anything with less than a crowded or busy landscape the thing shines! I'm very impressed. And the noise floor? What noise floor! This thing is dead quiet (again compared to a tweaked Pioneer) and I think this just makes the imaging that much better. Just my 2c -- oh, and if it's not already said, you can listen to this amp all day long! Very easy on the ears compared to what I'm used to. Love it!

I have been most active with vintage Marantz gear for over 20 years. But the last few years I have been enjoying new gear and its differences from vintage. Most of this review will be based on the Marantz 8004's comparision to the NAD C326BEE. Also a 2010 made integrated amp.

Having the NAD for about two years I was quite taken with the clarity, detail and amazing imaging of the 326BEE. The 8004 does have these same qualities but with a slightly different take on the sound.

The treble is very nice. Not beamy or harsh. Very smooth and airy and easy to listen to.

The midrange and upper bass is were this beast seems to come alive. A tremendous amount of detail and force in the midrange. This amp had dynamics and clarity in spades!!!!!

The bass is very lush and full. This amp has NO problem in the bass department when using either a powered sub or good old fashion passive three way speakers with a 10" woofer. The bass is strong, dynamic and Very well controlled. Not boomy or slow. Very articulate bass and well balanced.

The overall sound I would say about this amp is it is very full sounding, lush and VERY dynamic. Reminiscent of the sound of the big 70's receivers. But with far more clarity and imaging. NO listening fatique here. This amp is made for listening.

I use my Marantz 8004 for almost entirely classical low level listening. So detail and articulate sound at low levels are my main needs. The 8004 carries it off without missing a beat. At low levels this amp maintains it's great dynamic sound.

charles

Charles,

A couple of questions if I may. I am considering the NAD 356 BEE along with this 8004. Unfortunately, no one locally has the Marantz in stock to listen to.

In your first statement you mention this amp is not beamy or harsh. Did you find the NAD this way?

I understand your comments about the midrange being glorious. I too enjoy nicely pronounce mids. On to the Bass..... I found the NAD to be a bit slow in the Bass dept. Not as tight as compared to a Cambridge and Creek I compared to. Did you find this 8004 was tighter & fast, but still full?

Lastly, you mention that most listening is done at lower levels. One gentleman mentioned that as the musc gets more layered and busy, that the amps high's start to break down. Can you comment on this?

TIA

Joe

Back
Top Bottom