Marantz prices are up,up,up!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by mike0565, Feb 18, 2017.

1. freQ(*)Oddio

freQ(*)Oddio AK Subscriber Subscriber

Our vintage audio equip, is something that the new status, new record buying generation needs to pay big money for to enter this world of vintage audio, They are driving up the prices so they to can also have the bragging rights of a monster Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui at any cost, that's fine with me. Everyday I am thankful I collected my things years ago and I did because I liked it, even when it wasn't as cool anymore. Never ever purchased a item to "flip it" sometimes I get too attached to things because of who owned it , or. the story of the item. I do tend to try to improve some equip, but not for money, or status, for sound and personal enjoyment. I purchased a perfect Sansui 9090db in 2003, for $320 , I hated to spend that much $ then but I was at a point in my life that I could finally have one. I Had only seen them in magazines in the 70s growing up ,and never spun a knob on any real hifi gear. I have a stock Marantz 4400 proudly doing daily duty that im sure needs some caps and resistors by now, but I still have the old Sui covered with a old T shirt in the bedroom, still perfect. Could double my money on the auction site. That's not it, its about peeking under that shirt every so often and thinking..... "yup THAT thing isn't going anywhere" Neither is the Marantz.

Bdbras84 and wrdeacon like this.
  2. Aaron99

Aaron99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Some people do that often and get depressed.....:rflmao:

Ds2000, CohibaJoe, bryans12v and 2 others like this.
  3. blandis

blandis AK Subscriber Subscriber

Interesting read and I have often thought about the same thing. I have started "collecting" a few pieces. Currently only have one piece of Marantz (4270 with wood case). Probably the nicest piece I have. It sits in the closet wrapped up and it seldom used and is by far the most beautiful piece I own... that wood case just puts it over the top.

My son is a recent college grad. His friends love the "vintage" gear look. Its cool... and they are willing to pay for it. I currently have long term loaned a few of them a receiver to keep them from spending and arm and a leg on a receiver. The new "trend" has probably helped with the uptick in prices.

Not to make this a car thread, but I see some similariteis like I have with some older muscle cars. I have helped my dad build a decent collection (12 or so) 67-72 Chevy pickups and 79-81 Z28's. Most daily driver quality. Bought him his first 1979 Z28 15 years ago. At the time he thought I was crazy and they would never appreciate. We all know the craze with 67-72 Camaros... and now the 79-81's are starting to creep up and become "collectible". I see "parts" cars (79-81), or cars to me that are parts cars, that people have listed for $5K plus. Crazy. Like some vintage gear people assume because it is old it is automatically worth $$$. New people to the "hobby" often times subscribe to that.

Late 70's to 87' GM pickups are doing the same and starting to increase in value. From what I can tell the top end of both of those cars had not moved much... its the entry level price point to mid point that has seen the biggest jump. Same with audio?

I have a few nice receivers for sale locally that I am asking a premium for. If it sells it sells, if not it stays on the shelf. I price mine a little below the bay and other online sites. As are many of you, I am surprised at what some of these pieces bring.

I have also encountered those that are now bitten by the bug..... they saw a "steal" someone else got, love it and now they feel that is the market value.

My biggest concerns moving forward the road are vintage audio guys are like the old mechanics, they are a dying breed. Who will recondition my 4270 next time around when its 60 years old and an antique. Its hard enough to find someone now to do it. My hope is that a few younger gents are learning the trade.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  4. superdog

superdog AK Member

For whatever reason Marantz was not my cup of tea.I sold a pretty nice 2330b with a wood case and a matching 6300 turntable for $500 about six or seven years ago.Now I would have been looking at $1500.I had a few other smaller ones and they go quick..Finding vintage Marantz is always on my radar strictly for the flip.

5. Aaron99

That's my goal of being here on AK. I am attempting to learn as much as I can, by asking as many questions that have not been previously asked, and to soak up as much knowledge as possible. I have already restored several dead units with help from several AK members.

Rococo likes this.
  6. Aaron99

Look what I saw at a big box store. Something vaguely familiar with the knobs and colors....Of course it will sound like crap.... I guess this is as close as some will get to a Marantz. And hey, its "only" $99.

IMG_20170320_193926.jpg

Ds2000 likes this.
  7. Jirachi

Jirachi New Member

Kinda neat tbh

8. joekapahulu

joekapahulu Active Member

Vintage audio, vintage guitars, cars, cameras, watches,pens, Hawaiian shirts,who knows what else is out there. To me at 59, I have the resources to dabble in those areas of interest. But, I use them in life, don't overpay and know what I am getting when I buy. In most cases, the design, utility or aging process has brought something to it. Or, you just can't get new stuff on par. I dont hoard or collect per se. I play my Gibson's and Martin's, my McIntosh and Dual etc. I know guys who make them museum pieces ostensibly to sell later...But later never comes. I was trained in finance and marketing. Stocks and bonds are easier to value, buy and sell so those are my investments. The rest are toys.

9. Bdbras84

Bdbras84 Active Member

I
    seen that at Walmart sometime ago. Although the style is nice , I agree it probably doesn't sound to good. Not to mention it's entirely made of plastic.