Marantz prices are up,up,up!!!!!!

Interesting read and I have often thought about the same thing. I have started "collecting" a few pieces. Currently only have one piece of Marantz (4270 with wood case). Probably the nicest piece I have. It sits in the closet wrapped up and it seldom used and is by far the most beautiful piece I own... that wood case just puts it over the top.

My son is a recent college grad. His friends love the "vintage" gear look. Its cool... and they are willing to pay for it. I currently have long term loaned a few of them a receiver to keep them from spending and arm and a leg on a receiver. The new "trend" has probably helped with the uptick in prices.

Not to make this a car thread, but I see some similariteis like I have with some older muscle cars. I have helped my dad build a decent collection (12 or so) 67-72 Chevy pickups and 79-81 Z28's. Most daily driver quality. Bought him his first 1979 Z28 15 years ago. At the time he thought I was crazy and they would never appreciate. We all know the craze with 67-72 Camaros... and now the 79-81's are starting to creep up and become "collectible". I see "parts" cars (79-81), or cars to me that are parts cars, that people have listed for $5K plus. Crazy. Like some vintage gear people assume because it is old it is automatically worth $$$. New people to the "hobby" often times subscribe to that.

Late 70's to 87' GM pickups are doing the same and starting to increase in value. From what I can tell the top end of both of those cars had not moved much... its the entry level price point to mid point that has seen the biggest jump. Same with audio?

I have a few nice receivers for sale locally that I am asking a premium for. If it sells it sells, if not it stays on the shelf. I price mine a little below the bay and other online sites. As are many of you, I am surprised at what some of these pieces bring.

I have also encountered those that are now bitten by the bug..... they saw a "steal" someone else got, love it and now they feel that is the market value.

My biggest concerns moving forward the road are vintage audio guys are like the old mechanics, they are a dying breed. Who will recondition my 4270 next time around when its 60 years old and an antique. Its hard enough to find someone now to do it. My hope is that a few younger gents are learning the trade.

Last edited:
For whatever reason Marantz was not my cup of tea.I sold a pretty nice 2330b with a wood case and a matching 6300 turntable for $500 about six or seven years ago.Now I would have been looking at $1500.I had a few other smaller ones and they go quick..Finding vintage Marantz is always on my radar strictly for the flip.

My biggest concerns moving forward the road are vintage audio guys are like the old mechanics, they are a dying breed. Who will recondition my 4270 next time around when its 60 years old and an antique. Its hard enough to find someone now to do it. My hope is that a few younger gents are learning the trade.
That's my goal of being here on AK. I am attempting to learn as much as I can, by asking as many questions that have not been previously asked, and to soak up as much knowledge as possible. I have already restored several dead units with help from several AK members.

Vintage audio, vintage guitars, cars, cameras, watches,pens, Hawaiian shirts,who knows what else is out there. To me at 59, I have the resources to dabble in those areas of interest. But, I use them in life, don't overpay and know what I am getting when I buy. In most cases, the design, utility or aging process has brought something to it. Or, you just can't get new stuff on par. I dont hoard or collect per se. I play my Gibson's and Martin's, my McIntosh and Dual etc. I know guys who make them museum pieces ostensibly to sell later...But later never comes. I was trained in finance and marketing. Stocks and bonds are easier to value, buy and sell so those are my investments. The rest are toys.

I
Look what I saw at a big box store. Something vaguely familiar with the knobs and colors....Of course it will sound like crap.... I guess this is as close as some will get to a Marantz. And hey, its "only" $99.

View attachment 892842
seen that at Walmart sometime ago. Although the style is nice , I agree it probably doesn't sound to good. Not to mention it's entirely made of plastic.

All this talk of rising prices has me wondering what my 1152 DC is worth. I' guessing it' a 8 out of 10 condition. 20180318_093935.jpg

it's not just vintage. The goofs on epay routinely bid audio equipment of all description up to within 20-25 dollars of what an item sells for brand new. I see it everyday. It's amazing. Many times I see things bid up over the price of brand new. I think a lot of people are addicted to bidding just as hoarders can't stop 'collecting' their scroes.

I have a 2270, 2230, and 2220B. I gave a 2265B to my son. Got them all around 2010-11. Now the prices are way high. I’ll restore them all and keep them, then pass them on someday. No need to sell them.

I need a wood case for my 2270.

1ABED1B7-3D25-499D-81CE-5D62F728BC0E.jpeg

Recently,I've sold off a few marantz pieces(both of my 2230's,2250,2250B,6100,& 6200) honestly prices seem high on Craigslist but Craigslist is plagued by low ballers. I've listed my marantz stuff for fair prices and it sat for weeks. I put it on eBay and it sold within a week for sometimes double my asking price on CL. There's still plenty of deals to find out there you just have to be patient and not hesitate when you see a decent deal.

I just hope the gov don't force radio to go digtal.
If they do, these receivers will end up like the mexican Telmex stock did as a result of being a fixed line only company. $69 a share to worthless within three years.

Interesting thought ... and I rarely listen to FM, AM almost never. I have a Receiver collection partly for looks but also because integrated amps are not as common to find.

I have just one Marantz, a 2226. It popped up three months ago with a bin price of $100 shipped and here it is.
It was a 10 second decision.
That's all I know about Marantz. It's just here to compare to the rest of the 20 to 80 watt receivers of that era that I have.
As for the rest I've been averaging about $100 to the door for about a year now. Five years ago it was half that.
So it's not just Marantz.
Will it continue? One thing to consider is the Asian buyers are very young and they know vintage is the best bang for the buck and they have better repair services.
About the car thing. It's not the same. ALL properly working vintage units are usable as daily drivers. Not so with the cars.
Although I do drive a 1976 Chrysler NewYorker everyday because it's hard to duplicate in a new car. A 5000 pound 4d ht.

Attachments

• P2160003.JPG
    P2160003.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 63
  • P2190001.JPG
    P2190001.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 60
  • P2210014.JPG
    P2210014.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
It’s crazy. I almost recently sold my mint ‘74 2270 with original case and feet for $400. It’s currently not working due to an unknown issue in right amp board. I’d rather spend upwards of 200-300 to correct it. Seems like these are a better investment than my 401k! I paid $300 for it semi-restored 15 years ago.

I got my 2270 for free with a bad output..... Still have it 30 years later.....

JK

Back
Top Bottom