Marantz Prices

Damn, Audionut was just about to buy that one:D

Watt wars were like the Horsepower wars of the 60's

Were just re-living them.

I just bought a Marantz 2240b for $350 plus ship on the SH site. It's been recapped, relamped and is very nice cosmetic shape.
That is a fair price if it has truly been re-capped, you can check pretty easy, new electrolytic caps will have an X indented in the top so the blow out vertically, original Marantz caps have no such indentations and therefore explode when shorted. Welcome to the Marantz family! Rich

I just bought a Marantz 2240b for $350 plus ship on the SH site. It's been recapped, relamped and is very nice cosmetic shape. I thought that was a very fair price and it was time I got in the game!

That is a fair price! Excuse my ignorance but what is the "SH site"?

Speaking of Marantz prices, I have noticed that some of the 4-channel units do not command the high prices as the 2- channel ones. Could I be missing the same quality sound by not considering 4-channel? Can anyone enlighten me about the quality of sound from 4-channel?

That is a fair price! Excuse my ignorance but what is the "SH site"?
The Steve Hoffman site, another audio forum. It's actuallly where I found out about this site. There is a place there where people sell gear but it's nowhere near the amount of gear here on Bartertown.

Has anyone here upgraded a classic Marantz with new parts and noticed a difference in the sound?
What I can tell you is that I bought a Marantz 2225 which was basically new in the box last year. Probably only had a few hours on it. The sound is better than a recapped 2226 I owned at the same time. Those old caps are working perfectly. If you ever get a chance to pick up a NIB vintage audio receiver do it.

The only 4 channel Marantz receivers that fetch a higher price are the 4400's because of their scope apparently.

The 4300 which is essentially a scopeless 4400 usually goes for 1/3 or less making it a under the radar bargain.
4230/4240/4270 usually half the price of their counterparts.

Bob

There's a NIB (and wrapper) 2500 right now on eBay calling your name Audionut, only $10k! :yikes: :eek2:...feel like a frog? :D:naughty: Not sure where ya live but we could all get together and watch ya fire er up!

It's not that difficult to find a Marantz receiver at a garage sale cheap and have someone rebuild it.....like really !! The stuff on fleabay is for dummies that buy off of flippers. A fool and his money are soon parted.....

It's not that difficult to find a Marantz receiver at a garage sale cheap and have someone rebuild it.....like really !! The stuff on fleabay is for dummies that buy off of flippers. A fool and his money are soon parted.....

That's a little harsh isn't it?

Maybe back in the day ,but in the last few years it's more the norm to find York,Sound Design and old consoles.

Bob

That's a little harsh isn't it?

Maybe back in the day ,but in the last few years it's more the norm to find York,Sound Design and old consoles.

Bob

Not really...

No, everything is what a person considers, just defining a situation based on perceived norms does not help a person see what's happening around them. There is Craigslist for every township and suburb across this country. There are ham radio festivals that sell rebuilt electronic equipment of any kind. There are estate sales where people have no idea of the value of anything they have and just sell it off just to get rid of it. There are garage sales where people lost their jobs and have to sell the house and need quick cash. If a person assumes they only can make something happen in just so many ways they will be stuck with that frame of mind thoughout their lives. The convenience of online shopping creates a mind set of immediate access to whatever they want at a price. The reward that people get from hunting something down and bartering for the best price is still ever present umong people that want more for less. Every week a member from this site finds a vintage amp or receiver for twenty bucks or less. So the real situation is what some people feel is too much of a bother for them to be involved with and we old guys call that..........an attitude of entitlement ! The method of how most people acquire their goods has been encouraged by those that profit from the sales of products the most...the corporations.

And I just bought my daughter a Marantz 2220b a couple of weeks ago at a garage sale for $68.....and there is no way she would have found this receiver for that price. Everything is how you analyze and approach every situation on an individual basis to be successful doing anything.....

I scan Craigslist for pretty much the entire state of Texas nearly every day. It is rare that I find any Marantz unit for a "bargain" price. It's so easy for people to find the going rate for their unit, that no one is fooled any more. To me Craigslist is only worthwhile if you are purposely looking for non-working or badly working units that might be under priced. Pretty much the same for eBay. And I quit even trying estate sales and garage sales. First of all, most of the estate sales around here are professionally run and the pros know the value of the items they are selling. I try to go to Goodwill about once a week, and I never find anything but throwaway junk. I wouldn't be surprised if a local flipper is paying the workers to hold back the good stuff. If I was retired and could go every day, I might get lucky now and then. But only being able to go infrequently, my odds are near zero. I say all of that to say, it's not for a lack of trying. The bargains that I hear about just seem to fall in people's laps in an unpredictable way. Maybe when I retire, I'll be able to put more time into local searches and find more than I do now.

I found a CL listing 3 days ago that listed a lot of NAD gear and also mentioned Marantz. I inquired and the guy had a 2245 and a 5220 cassette deck. They both had some cosmetic "challenges" and all the usual dim panel lights (except for those big, beautiful VU meters on the 5220) but were worth restoring even with my limited, nascent skills. I left the house with both units for $200.

I found a CL listing 3 days ago that listed a lot of NAD gear and also mentioned Marantz. I inquired and the guy had a 2245 and a 5220 cassette deck. They both had some cosmetic "challenges" and all the usual dim panel lights (except for those big, beautiful VU meters on the 5220) but were worth restoring even with my limited, nascent skills. I left the house with both units for $200.
Yep, you definitely can find some "bargains" on equipment that needs work. But to the guys who, 10 or 15 years ago, could expect to walk away with those two items for $50, it doesn't seem all that much of a bargain. However, I'm a late comer to this game, so it seems like a good price to me. I'm working on my fourth 2245 right now and it is a great unit. I'll bet you will be able to bring it back to life. I brought this 5020 back to life recently. I think the 5220 is very similar. :thumbsup:
IMG_1498_zpsvyneikae.jpg

Yep, I agree Steven. That ad was the first in quite a while where the prices weren't already through the roof. He wanted even more for the pair but there were so many things that were dinged up and not right that he came down on the price. Regarding garage sales, I did find a 2270 a couple years ago for $35 so there ARE bargains to be found, but you have to do a LOT of searching through all the BPC.

Like Steven Tate said, I also scan Craigslist every day for audio bargains and I have not found anything yet! People are getting much smarter about things (especially electronics) that they sell on that site. There have recently been several good prices on Ebay for Marantz receivers but they have been pick-up only. Now, as much as I would like to have a Marantz receiver, I'm not about to drive 700 or 800 miles to get it!

Back
Top Bottom