Marantz question

YamahaFreak

Can somebody tell me what the idea is behind the Marantz scope tuners?(2110,2130,etc.) I would like to know what the purpose of the scope is, and how it works.

On the 2110 it is a nice light show since there is no multipath indication. Other scope tuners have a multipath indication which is helpful when tuning a antenna. I also find it useful in setting up a turntable.

As far as how it works, Its a vacuum tube, the electron beam hits a phosphorous screen and makes it glow. There are 4 defection plates that make the beam deviate from center. One channel make the beam go up and down the other make it go back and forth. A positive signal make it go up on one channel and right on the other. For tuning it the horizontal show the DC off the detector, when it is in the center of the scope it is 0 volts and center tuned. The height of the line is the signal strength. The length of the line is modulation.

For the multipath is similar to the tuning indication but the detected FM signal is not rectified and displayed horizontally, the straighter the line the less multipath you have.

X

bolly said:
the scope works like this,
Wow, thanks:D I always wanted to see closeups of the scope activity, because the eBay pics and others just aren't close up enough. Btw, do you know where I might pick up one of these scope tuners for a low, fixed price? (e.g. $150-$250)

Bolly's thumbnails are 2 channel audio displays.
Scope tuners display the output of the IF section before the detector, allowing the user to see the desired channel's main peak, adjacent sidebands, multipath, or asymetry, and adjacent channels so the tuner can be set precisely. The center channel meters look at detecteor output DC levels, and cannot discriminate the tricky tuning situations I listed. The typical pattern would be a hump, with spikes off to the side. The Day Sequerra tuner had a sexy scope display, and you may find pics by searching that name.

Nakdoc said:
Bolly's thumbnails are 2 channel audio displays.
Scope tuners display the output of the IF section before the detector, allowing the user to see the desired channel's main peak, adjacent sidebands, multipath, or asymetry, and adjacent channels so the tuner can be set precisely. The center channel meters look at detecteor output DC levels, and cannot discriminate the tricky tuning situations I listed. The typical pattern would be a hump, with spikes off to the side. The Day Sequerra tuner had a sexy scope display, and you may find pics by searching that name.
You mean this one?

Back
Top Bottom