Marantz Receiver 22xx and 2325 fm alignment

yo00

Hello, i have the oportunity to buy a really cheap (i think ) (32usd) BK PRECISION 2007 fm stereo generator, this model is good for alignment? i need anything else? i want to learn alignment because i don´t have experience in this matter, any help or opinion will be really appreciated.

attached photos of the real item.

best regards

Pio

Attachments

• ScreenShot463.jpg
    ScreenShot463.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 50
  • ScreenShot464.jpg
    ScreenShot464.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 41
  • ScreenShot465.jpg
    ScreenShot465.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 55
  • ScreenShot466.jpg
    ScreenShot466.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 52
The only thing that worries me is the audio distortion which is listed as 1%. Many tuners and receivers specify 0.2% for mono and 0.3% for stereo as maximum.

Tom

The only thing that worries me is the audio distortion which is listed as 1%. Many tuners and receivers specify 0.2% for mono and 0.3% for stereo as maximum.

Tom

thank you, so that means i will have limited success (some adjustments can´t be done) with this model? is better pass with it?

best regards.

Pio

I agree with Tom, that distortion spec caught my eye as well.

In my opinion it's barely adequate. FM alignment is not easy, so you don't want to be dealing with substandard test equipment that might cause you grief.

Save your money for a good quality piece of gear. I never skimp on tools or test equipment.

I have an unbuilt Heathkit tube FM Stereo generator, I never built it because the specs are not good enough for modern tuners. It might be good enough to troubleshoot with but forget about alignments.

Sound Technology 1000A is the one I want.

Craig

I think that this is good enough to start. It will also be a good learning experience and it should be able to align fm that is way off. As for the distortion being 1% not good enough, my opinion is that most people can't adjust the pots within 2% or more. Those things are touchy as hell and it's not like they are that precise (especially now that they are old, the factory couldn't when they were new on some units). So you have human error and component lack of precision. Anyone know where to buy new pots or better pots???
So get it. Have fun and upgrade when you become better at doing alignments. Be careful of the Marantz mistakes.

As for the distortion being 1% not good enough, my opinion is that most people can't adjust the pots within 2% or more. Those things are touchy as hell and it's not like they are that precise

I'm curious, which pots are you referencing here that affect the distortion (THD, IMD?) on FM?

Tom

Also the FM frequency output upper limit is 100MHz so the sensitivity at the 108MHz end can't be tweaked for maximum sensitivity.

Not the best but less expensive is the Sencore SG-165.

Just out of curiosity, this model with its limitations so for what tasks could be useful?

best regards

Pio

If you have an oscilloscope with an rf detector probe, or a spectrum analyzer you could use that generator to provide signals for troubleshooting the rf circuits to see where the gain is being lost. It can also be used to align the front end of the tuner for max sensitivity. Other than that it's pretty useless. You would be better off getting a low distortion audio generator and a stereo rf modulator (made to use in a car), use the generator for a source for the modulator and then that gives you a nice, low distortion poor man's stereo fm generator.

If you have an oscilloscope with an rf detector probe, or a spectrum analyzer you could use that generator to provide signals for troubleshooting the rf circuits to see where the gain is being lost. It can also be used to align the front end of the tuner for max sensitivity. Other than that it's pretty useless. You would be better off getting a low distortion audio generator and a stereo rf modulator (made to use in a car), use the generator for a source for the modulator and then that gives you a nice, low distortion poor man's stereo fm generator.

thank you, this product https://wholehousefmtransmitter.com/technical-specs/ can be used with my Leader lag-125 with suitable results?

lag-125 --->distortion: 500hz-20khz 0.03%

best regards.

Pio

Last edited:
thank you, this product https://wholehousefmtransmitter.com/technical-specs/ can be used with my Leader lag-125 with suitable results?

lag-125 --->distortion: 500hz-20khz 0.03%

best regards.

Pio
Yes, this is very nice! These are also helpful when you align a synthesized tuner, because they require the channel tuning to be spot on, and an analog generator is continuously variable when you tune it, so it's hard to get the station dead on where it's supposed to be.

Having said that, in order to do an alignment with this you need a distortion analyzer. You can get a Keithley 2015 for pretty cheap and it is also a frequency counter (which you need to align the FM MPX section) and a DMM.

Having said that, in order to do an alignment with this you need a distortion analyzer. You can get a Keithley 2015 for pretty cheap and it is also a frequency counter (which you need to align the FM MPX section) and a DMM.

Thank you again, i already have a kenwood universal counter and a pair of fluke 87v, as for distorsión analyzer i think can use a focusrite audio interface with Arta software.

Best regards

Pio

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom