MARANTZ recommendations?

Super Bee

Just some guy
Hello. I have a set of JBL L-100's in my bedroom and I am currently running a Fisher X-101-C Master Control tube amp on them but would like to go to a nice wooden case Marantz. Now I have heard the a couple of the heavier output Marantz receivers on JBL L-100s and JBL 4311's and know how good that sounds so I am wondering what high output Marantz receiver or amps someone here might recommend?

marantz 2325. it's a monster and it looks great in a wood case. lots of bass, will defiantely get those jbls thumping.

If you are on a budget, a 2270 is a great choice, since the wpc rating matches the L100s recommended wattage.
A 2325 is awesome, but will probably cost you your right arm.

I ran my L100s off a 2270 for a long time, loved the sound.

Warm receiver on bright speakers makes good synergy, good choice with marantz.

Well I have a MINT Fisher X-101-C to trade or sell. The Fisher has all original tubes, every possible piece of original paperwork including the the recipt from 1963, and it comes in a wooden case.

alexkerhead said:
If you are on a budget, a 2270 is a great choice, since the wpc rating matches the L100s recommended wattage.
A 2325 is awesome, but will probably cost you your right arm.

I ran my L100s off a 2270 for a long time, loved the sound.

Warm receiver on bright speakers makes good synergy, good choice with marantz.

If you dont like the blackout dial as much, go for the 2285b or the 2330b. Beautiful blue lights, the Marantzs just have that magic touch.:yes: Those are my favorite.:tresbon::thmbsp:

Anything from a 2250 up I would say will do a great job with those speakers. I used a 2250B with 4412's and they pounded.

Thanx for all the great ideas. I had a 2330B that I ran with a set of 4311's and I remember how good that sounded. I currently have a 2240 that I may get serviced but I think I would rather go big and in a wooden case.

If anyone here has a something nice they would want to trade for my X-101-C let me know.

I have a 2275 that is rated at 75W/channel and was tested at 105W/channel at rated distortion. The Marantz' receivers from the 70's e.g. 22xx power output are very conservativly rated IMHO. Just don't drive your speakers into clipping if you have very inefficient (sp?) speakers.

Tropical said:
2270 and up will do. The higher the wattage the better. I use a 2325 to drive 2 pairs of 4410's and 4411's.

Driving 2 pairs is a lot different than driving a single pair.

While having higher power is generally a good thing, a 2270 is not needed to drive these models of JBL's to loud and undistorted output, unless they're in a large room say, over 2000 cu. ft. As I said, the 65 wpc or so that a 2250 puts out is plenty enough to get them going, and to get a good grip on their woofers.

My old 2250B had 20,000uF of storage capacitance - not too shabby for a "50 wpc" receiver. Then there is the other mid-powered models, the 2252, 2252B, 2265, & 2265B.

I got 109dB unclipped output in a smaller room from my 4412's + 2250B. If you have a large room and want high dB levels, then yes the higher wattage units would be needed.

I've owned two 2330B recievers, both were mint, and both sounded the same, and what I found was a slightly veiled sound, and a disappointing, lackluster sound going through a pair of my JBL L-65 Jubals. The mid, and highs both lacked what I call good transparency.

It just seemed that even with three tone controls, a satisfying, listenable sound was just not achievable.

Of a total of ten (yes ten) Marantz Receivers I've owned, the award of best sound went to my 2285B Black Face Euro Reciever. I would assume that between the standard "Euro" unit, and the standard 2285B, there should be no difference in sound.

Everyone of these recievers I owned, )with the exception of the then new 4400 Marantz I owned 32 years ago), were thoroughly, and fairly judged against my McIntosh reference system, and IMO, the 2285B BF came out on top of the lot.

Of course I haven't personally sampled every last piece of Marantz gear (Recievers), as I have never heard the 2325, 2385B, 2500, or 2600. I do know, that the 2325 preceeded the later "B" version units.
Mark

markd51 said:
The mid, and highs both lacked what I call good transparency.

It just seemed that even with three tone controls, a satisfying, listenable sound was just not achievable.

Well that's the thing Mark - it's not just about power output and max SPL's, but the different models do sound different.

I think the mid-powered models sound better than the high-powered ones, but like you, I've not heard the 3 biggest units. Maybe when you get to the toroid transformers of the 2385B, 2500, and 2600, the sound improves in the highs. (?)

markd51 said:
I've owned two 2330B recievers, both were mint, and both sounded the same, and what I found was a slightly veiled sound, and a disappointing, lackluster sound going through a pair of my JBL L-65 Jubals. The mid, and highs both lacked what I call good transparency.

Of a total of ten (yes ten) Marantz Receivers I've owned, the award of best sound went to my 2285B Black Face Euro Reciever. I would assume that between the standard "Euro" unit, and the standard 2285B, there should be no difference in sound.

Everyone of these recievers I owned, )with the exception of the then new 4400 Marantz I owned 32 years ago), were thoroughly, and fairly judged against my McIntosh reference system, and IMO, the 2285B BF came out on top of the lot.

Of course I haven't personally sampled every last piece of Marantz gear (Recievers), as I have never heard the 2325, 2385B, 2500, or 2600. I do know, that the 2325 preceeded the later "B" version units.
Mark

I have two 2600's - the mid/high presence and transparency is incredible. I had a 510m and it had the "veiled" sound you speak of....

Bond

Use the Pre outs and start playing with differant amps

I've been doing this since late June when Ak'ers advised me the Martin Logan's might be to harsh of a load on the amp section of my newly accuired Marantz 2270, they said the Marantz sound you love is mainly in the preamp section and they were right.

I'm using a SAE A202 and Kenwood Basic M1D for solid state rockouts and I can hear a differance between them, in my system the Bigger Kennie is a little light on the top and bottom but, has a sweeter midrange, the SAE flat out rocks the ML's.

I'm not sure of how the dampning factor works but, the Kennie's is 1000 I'm pretty sure the SAE is not close to that so, I think the Kenwood is grabing those panels with a little more authority?

I also have a nice Pilot 232 EL84 tubed amp for the late night bask in the warm tubed glow jazz sessions. I dont use a wall unit for this system so swapping amps is an easy job. and yes tubes sound very nice with the ML's my room is about 15x20 very thick adobe walls, suspended ceiling, saltio tile floors and 1,000s of lp's to help make it less excitable as in bright sounding.
I've had a little 5watt single ended triode run them nicely but, just not to loud.

Have fun!:music: Peace Craig

E-stats with vintage SS gear? :no: Then there's not much point in having the e-stats. I know, I've owned M-L CLS IIa's.

would you not recommend using vintage gear with modern speakers? you've got me worried I'm not getting the full pontential out of my vmps speakers. I was under the impression and have heard the opinion that amp technology really hasn't changed much over the years but that speaker technology has. I tend to agree with that thought. I love many vintage speakers but buying my vmps was the best thing i've done for my system. I ran them with a marantz 2325 as a preamp with an adcom gfa 5500 and just substituted the 2325 for a marantz 1152DC, in both cases I've found the sound to be extremely detailed with a really great soundstage and that is in a less than desirable listening room. I'd love your elaboration on your opinion.

I guess my question now is do I fix the 2240 I have or try to find a nice 2270 or 2325 for trade or sale

Fix your 2240 and use it until you can come across a 2330. By far the best sounding Marantz I've ever owned or heard. Great tuner to boot.

Back
Top Bottom