Marantz SD 800 Cassette Deck repaired.

jleon92f

Addicted Member
Hi Audio Fans,

I picked up a Marantz SD 800 Cassette deck on Ebay for $20. It was said to have a bad left channel, (REC/Play switch) was dirty. The FF&RW did not work either, belt turned to goo. Replaced temporarily with rubber band! :thmbsp: I cleaned off the goo, using carburetor spray and cleaned the switch with Deoxit and Vola :banana: It works fine again!

Does anyone have any information on this deck, when it was made , etc... :scratch2:

This is a easy belt replacement on this model.

Great playing deck :thmbsp:
John :music:

Last edited:
Nice catch, but please be careful with the carb cleaner spray. Don't spray it anywhere in the unit. If you have to use it, use it on a part, outside the unit, and put it on a cloth.

Anyway...nice save. Enjoy the deck.

BTW...I enjoyed getting together with you yesterday. Lets do it again soon.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Ct-f9191

pustelniakr said:
Nice catch, but please be careful with the carb cleaner spray. Don't spray it anywhere in the unit. If you have to use it, use it on a part, outside the unit, and put it on a cloth.

Anyway...nice save. Enjoy the deck.

BTW...I enjoyed getting together with you yesterday. Lets do it again soon.

Enjoy,
Rich P
Hi Rich,

I had a great time talking about the collections you have! I ordered the belt kit from Vintage electronics, should be here for the weekend install.
Thanks,

See you in September.

John. :music:

Last edited:
hey and the SD 800 was made in 1979 i'm looking at one right now don't know how good they are really don't play tapes but would like to put it with my marantz 2226B is all i'll get it working but like i said its more for the set if anyone knows what went with this unit as in tape player please let me know because i know this is a later style marantz (1979)thanks

hey and the SD 800 was made in 1979 i'm looking at one right now don't know how good they are really don't play tapes but would like to put it with my marantz 2226B is all i'll get it working but like i said its more for the set if anyone knows what went with this unit as in tape player please let me know because i know this is a later style marantz (1979)thanks

Hi, wasn't like a model 5252 tape deck? or the nice looking 5010b or 5030b's?

the 800 is a basic nice deck, I gave that away to a friend.

Thanks,
John.:music:

Anyone know the correct belt and size for the Marantz SD 800?
Are tape cassettes still being made? The original post to this tread was made almost 12 years ago and I can't imagine the popularity of tape cassettes have increased since then. I looked at cassettes as more of a convenience; a way to listen to music while driving or jogging but not close to the audio qualities of vinyl. I'm thinking the music sources for players have dried up, but more power to you in your efforts to keep it going!!!

Are tape cassettes still being made? The original post to this tread was made almost 12 years ago and I can't imagine the popularity of tape cassettes have increased since then. I looked at cassettes as more of a convenience; a way to listen to music while driving or jogging but not close to the audio qualities of vinyl. I'm thinking the music sources for players have dried up, but more power to you in your efforts to keep it going!!!

I don't think so, I only come across used cassettes for sale. I bought a Marantz SD 800 to mesh well with my other vintage Marantz gear. Plus, with physical media near it's way out I rather start collecting now than later.

Back
Top Bottom