Marantz speaker owners???

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Zinker, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Zinker

Zinker I'm in love with my 4300

Okay, I see a whole lotta Marantz owners out there.....How many of you actually USE Marantz speakers????

Why?? Or why not????

:banana: :banana:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. markallen

markallen Luddite Tendencies

My main speakers are a pair of HD-880s. I have them because they came with a "package" deal, which featured a Yamaha CR-1020 (the receiver was the part of the package that I was really interested in. I was not in the market for more speakers). But for what she was asking, I was not going to debate with the seller about anything. Before she could change her mind, I handed her my $50 and loaded everything up.

I still have the Yamaha, but currently it's on display while a Pioneer SX-980 takes a turn. I like these speakers alot, in very nice physical condition, though I need to replace one of the dome tweeters (the second one from the top went silent, open circuit). It can now be told that the speakers turned out to be the best part of the deal, and that is saying something because the Yamaha receiver is mint and works well also.

3. spkrman57

spkrman57 wrongsideofthetracks

Marantz Imperial model 6 powered by Marantz 2216B for computer room system!

Very nice "mid-fi" sound, non fatiguing.

Ron

4. SDA SRS 1.2

SDA SRS 1.2 Well-Known Member

HD-880's here also. They sound great with the 2325 Receiver.

5. gearhead

gearhead Super Member

I've got a pair of HD 770s hooked to my 2330B.

6. AJXD

AJXD Active Member

That's what I want gearhead. I've got the 2330B... now I just need to replace these SP1200s....

7. Brian4561

Brian4561 Active Member

Unfortunately, I use my Marantz 30/300 speakers as stands for my AR-4ax speakers. The Marantz just don't sound as good to my ears.

8. davidb

davidb Well-Known Member

HD550s with a SX780 in the guest bedroom. I have to go in occasionally to listen. I' m always amazed.

9. superdog

superdog AK Member

I have a pair of Imperial 7's used with a pair of jbl L100's with a marantz 1550.i think they tone down the brightness of the jbl's.sound very good together.By themselves they are very mellow.Picked these up a few yrs ago from goodwill for $10 with rotted grills but otherwise very good shape.

Marantz 2330b
    Marantz 1550
    Marantz Imperial 7's
    Marantz PM 400

10. Zinker

So I guess few use the "vintage" Imperial line????? They still sound very good to me....Come on guys you gotta be out there somewhere....And they aren't that hard to find/ cost that much?????

Peace....:banana: :banana:

11. Glassman

Glassman Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I have the first series of the Imperial line, the Imperial I's. The are large, cool looking, and appear as though they could or should produce great sound....but they are boomy and not all that impressive to my ears. The cabinets are beautiful. I have taken them apart a few times now (not a simple undertaking) to spray Caig Progold into the tone controls but they start cutting out after only a few months of use. I wish they sounded better.

Jay

12. max-ac

max-ac Active Member

imperial 6 here. with the tweed grills.:yes: i gave them to my step son. with 1st right of refusal of course.:D they do sound nice!:banana:

13. SB Marantz

SB Marantz Well-Known Member

I have a pair of HD-88.

Allso a pair of HD-55 and Imperial 7G

For daily use the fabulous Klipsch RF-7

14. hellhound94

hellhound94 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I picked up a set of Imperial 7s about two years ago for less than $100 on eBay. The grills had of course long since rotted away, but the previous owner had used grill cloth on the original frames and they looked great. I have to admit these babies really sounded good. I used a Marantz 2240B to drive them. Unfortunately, I had to start getting rid of a few things and so I decided to let 'em go. However, I gave them to my brother so they're still in the family. I was real happy with the sound.

15. rickon66

rickon66 Older Than Dirt

Imperial 6's here. Hand sanded and refinished by myself. I replaced a set of large Advents with the Imperials-the Imperials sounded better to me! :banana:

16. superdog

superdog AK Member

The Imperial 7's were Marantz's answer to the JBL L 100.Although not quite the match to the jbl they are a very good sounding speaker.Mine are keepers.I might have a bead on some HD880's with one bad woofer for $30

17. mikey3117

mikey3117 Victory is mine!

18. Doug The Dog

Doug The Dog SIT..STAY...GOOD DOG!

The very first pair of speakers I purchased (when I was thirteen) was a pair of Imperial 7's. I still have them 31 years later and they still sound like new!

19. AudioGeek

AudioGeek too hip to function

Anyone have Imperial 8's? I haven't seen (heard) a set of them since 1975, when a neighbor had a pair wired to a 2275 and a Dual 1218.

At the time, he was my favorite neighbor! :thmbsp:

20. Zinker

I actually prefer the 7's to the L100's. To ME the 7's are "cleaner" more "natural" sounding. The L100's where a little to harsh for me...

And I won't admit this to many people, but the 7's really warm up hooked on to a sx-850/950.

BUT 4 7's hooked on my 4300.....WOW!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: