Marantz speaker owners???

I have a chance to get a pair of RG 150's for $125. Is this a good deal,are they good speakers? I can't find any info on them.

Just recieved a pair of HD-500. Will play this now for a while. Can someone say something about this? Can´t find some interesting info on the net.

Maybe there is a mod for this one?

Best regards.
//Rampitsch

I tried to complete the Marantz trifecta (reciever, turntable, speakers) and went out and bought a pair of Marantz 920s for $100. The were so cool looking but sounded pretty weak. My brother's Marantz HD550s sounded so much better. The woofers were in a slight need for some re-foaming but I don't think it can all be linked to that. The highs weren't there. The specs on them are decent so something must have gone bad with some crossovers or other electronics. I'm sticking with my Yamaha NS-690 IIs and Dahlquist DQM-9s.

I tried to complete the Marantz trifecta (reciever, turntable, speakers) and went out and bought a pair of Marantz 920s for $100. The were so cool looking but sounded pretty weak. My brother's Marantz HD550s sounded so much better. The woofers were in a slight need for some re-foaming but I don't think it can all be linked to that. The highs weren't there. The specs on them are decent so something must have gone bad with some crossovers or other electronics. I'm sticking with my Yamaha NS-690 IIs and Dahlquist DQM-9s.

They may have damaged tweeters.

Trying to re-live my lost early years in audio. Probably never will find a set of Imp. 9's. I sold audio in the 70's and couldn't afford them...or the 8's at the time. Now, I'd love to get my hands on a pair. Great thread.
Hibuck...

Designer Series 930's here. Had them for many years and like the sound of them. Using a Marantz 1152dc amp to drive them.

i finished them in the june timeframe. I think they sound absolutely fantastic. Very full sound across the freq range to my ears, but i have old ears :) did not rebuild the xovers yet...probably should but they work. New surrounds all the way around. Had to work hard to find the midrange surrounds but found them from a guy in san diego. Refinished the cabinets with many, many coats of low gloss tung oil steel wooled before the last coat. They did not come with any grilles (the sponge ones probably fell apart long ago) so i made my own. They are keepers for sure.

I have an extra set of the tweet/mids in the round black frame if anyone is looking to rebuild a pair.
sweeeet

Use a pair of Imperial 5's at the office and use a photo of one of the woofers for my avatar.

Decent sounding but very nuetral probably needs a re-cap but don't see much point as I have better sounding speakers at home.

My first pair when I was 16 were Imperial 7's driven by a Pioneer SX636 Receiver. At 18, I sold them and got a pair of HD77's and a Kenwood KA 7100 integrated amp, both of which I still have.

Hd-550

Restoring a pair of HD-550s and from what I see they seem well made........quality crossover and wiring etc. Speakers seem very solid with heavy magnets etc. Bought them pretty banged up so decided to make new boxes. Will post a thread once I am finished........just need to find suitable wood for the construction.

Any suggestions?:scratch2:

I have a pair of imperial 4-g's powered by a 2216. I refoamed them myself. They sound ok, probably need a re-cap but I'm fixing to replace them with a pair of infinity rsb's that I got for 2 bucks.

I have a pair of Imperial 5G's that I found years ago in the trash room of my apartment building. They were missing the baffles on the front, but other than that, were in good shape. Hooked them up to my Pioneer SX636 reciever, they sound really good to me. Some how during moving 2 years ago, one of the woofer's mesh wire connecting the cone to the lead connectors came off at the cone connection. I also lost one of the speaker (woofer) frames that hold the speaker (by screws) onto the outside of the speaker hole on the front of the cabinet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeking info on Marantz LD-55 speakers

Hi guys

I acquired these speakers sometime last year. Have got them running with a Sansui AU7700 amp and have been rather happy with their sound. I think the previous owner replaced some parts before giving them to me. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about these speakers. There is no information on the web that I've been able to find. I think they're from the 80s so it's most likely their copies of another speaker? and just re-badged Marantz?

Can post some photos later and the small amount of info on the back of them. Obviously I know very little about audio, so not having anything else to compare to has made it east for me to enjoy them and obviously there's better out there, just want to know if I'm listening to garbage.

I got a pair of these coming to me this Friday!! They are missing the grills, anybody know where I can get a set of grills for these:scratch2:?
http://pic5.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1268844402.jpg
Yeah, you can try the Boutique section at wal-mart, or the Lumber section of Lowe's or Home Depot :D :D :D

trying to find DS930 grills is like waiting for a turtle to cross a 20 lane highway. They are kinda rare, and I have never seen a pair of just the grills pop up anywhere, ever.

But, you never know. I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya :)

scored a pair of Marantz SP-35 today for 20 dollars...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3086.jpg
    IMG_3086.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_3087.jpg
    IMG_3087.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_3088.jpg
    IMG_3088.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 309
I picked up a pair of Marantz SP1250 speakers last weekend at a local thrift for $10. They look pretty cool and a little cheap. They would be much better if they were solid wood cabinets. I just need to refoam the 12" woofers and they will be up and running. The other thing is that whoever had them before burnt a candle on top and the wax dripped into the grill cloth. Its pretty ugly but I was thinking about getting some new speaker cloth and fixing them myself. They are in excellent condition except for the one grill. I think I will keep them as garage speakers.

Any thoughts on these?

Do they have the acoustic lens on the tweeter? if so then they have the good tweeter, which is same as my SP1500's. The SP series are decent sounding speakers and for the money, and a little fixing up, you can't go wrong. You can spend a little bit and get them tuned up and they will sound great. I bought my SP1500's for $50, and I had to install surrounds on them big 15 inchers for $40. For $90, plus my little bit of labor, they sound as good as any comparable speaker you would be spending Hundreds more for. Just my 2c worth. :thmbsp:

I think the trick in speakers VS amps is to get the highest rating of speaker you can get. ie Marantz 2252b puts out 52W/Ch, HD77s handle 250wRMS, 330Peak. Good mix.

In the 70s, when I could affored it, I bought an entire Marantz system to include a 2252b, HD77, 5030 and 6200 all within a Marantz audio rack. Added a Pioneer RT-909.
It was WONDERFUL. Naturally when marriage came along and kids happened the stuff went to a back burner and storage and then gone.

Now a Marantz system is regulated to the garage where all kinds of things rattle. It's a good thing I no longer have the 77s.

Back
Top Bottom