Marantz speaker owners???

Anyone who knows which year the SP 35 originates from and which system it comletes?

Other info as wattage ratings and such welcome too, cant find anything on these speakers..

Hey that's a nice set of speakers you have! I have a set of Imperial 5G Marantz, and one of the woofers is missing the front brace that fits on to the front of the speaker before you put in the mounting screws. I am trying to figure out some way of making something to replace that in order to hold the speaker in there. I would appreciate any ideas you might have that might help me do this. I wish I could find the original bracket or whatever it's called. Thanks for reading this.

Yeah, you can try the Boutique section at wal-mart, or the Lumber section of Lowe's or Home Depot :D :D :D

trying to find DS930 grills is like waiting for a turtle to cross a 20 lane highway. They are kinda rare, and I have never seen a pair of just the grills pop up anywhere, ever.

But, you never know. I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya :)
LOL..You got that right..I had a guy contact me through the Klipsch forum offering me all sorts of used gear, and cash for my grills. He had restored a pair a few years ago, and had been searching ever since. Ive only ever seen the speakers on e-Bay a couple of times, and the last pair I believe went for $500.

Here's some food for thought. How about a rare pair of Mirrored M10's? Don't think that just by the look that they are the same drivers as their HD/DS siblings, because they are not. There are subtle differences that set them apart, such as the woofer magnet, which is hideously HUGE, giving for better bass extension, greater flux density, with a tighter, more controlled response. Tweeter is a LPF dome, also with HUGE magnet, but is bigger and the LPF material is a bit stiffer, giving the highs a cleaner, clearer sound with less transients. They are extra special because these are the last line of speakers designed by Ed May and they were only in production for less than a year before his untimely death in 1980. These are the "mirrored" version that were available only in Europe. M10's were sold here in USA but were not sold as mirrored sets. These babies are as sharp as a tack from 1/100th of a watt to a full spread of 200 watts or more of un-clipped signal.
Picture.jpg

After going through all my speaker collection, I always come back to my Imperial 6's. They're the speakers that can do everything well.

For what it's worth, I have the first series of the Imperial line, the Imperial I's. The are large, cool looking, and appear as though they could or should produce great sound....but they are boomy and not all that impressive to my ears. The cabinets are beautiful. I have taken them apart a few times now (not a simple undertaking) to spray Caig Progold into the tone controls but they start cutting out after only a few months of use. I wish they sounded better.

Jay

Hi Jay
I also Have a Pair of the Imperial 1s cannot find any info on them anywhere?? Do you have any more info on them?I'm wondering what they're worth? Good low end now that I had to replace the woofers. One locked up. I also have the 5g's they are a good sounding speaker with my 4240!!

After going through all my speaker collection, I always come back to my Imperial 6's. They're the speakers that can do everything well.

I was given an old pair of Marantz speakers about 12 years ago, been using them every day here at work and didn't know what model Marantz they were.

I love the natural, uncolored sound, still plenty warm and even "woody" comes to mind. Eight hours a day listening and my ears never get fatigued.

I posted a pic here on AudioKarma to see if anyone could tell me the model--and alas, they're Imperial 6s!

I guess I did alright!

Early Imperial 5 with wood grills

Newbie to the Marantz speaker world. I find them quite pleasant to the ears. Look cool as hell too!:thmbsp:

Attachments

• 2010_09150010.jpg
    2010_09150010.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 38
I use Marantz speakers because they came with my MR 1120. So now I'm using them with my 2245. Lame answer, but true. :)

Marantz 2245
Marantz MR 1120
Marantz 6150 TT

I have four Imperial 7's hooked up to my 4270 and I think they sound great, all original except for the grills of course, 40 bucks for one pair on craigslist, 75 for the other on ebay, all the cabinets are in great shape!

I been saying this since I found my pair for 35 bucks next to a pair of Large Advents for 40. Snagged both on a cold COLD day and drove home.

Ended up giving away the Large Advents. To me, the Imperial 6's sounded better. Lovely, warm tone.

I was given an old pair of Marantz speakers about 12 years ago, been using them every day here at work and didn't know what model Marantz they were.

I love the natural, uncolored sound, still plenty warm and even "woody" comes to mind. Eight hours a day listening and my ears never get fatigued.

I posted a pic here on AudioKarma to see if anyone could tell me the model--and alas, they're Imperial 6s!

I guess I did alright!

Woody? Yeah, I have found myself thinking that.

I will NEVER part with my Imperial 6's. And by the way, someone on here posted they recapped with Janzten's.... which ones I wonder??

I wanna recap mine, and improve that already wonderful sound. What's the value on the caps??

My Imperial 6's have 7uF cap in them. It looks really easy to recap. I plan on using these.

Attachments

• cross over.jpg
    cross over.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 61
Reckon any use replacing those resistors????

And I couldn't read the value from your pic on the resistors...

Thanks for posting that, by the way..

Has anyone considered using a 6.8 and a .22 as a bypass cap?? That would be nearly smack dab on the 7 uF stock measurement..

Just wondering if bypass caps would help.

From what I understand, that will work plenty good with 1% caps. So will just one single 6.8uF cap. I imagine (But could be wrong) that the old caps are either 5% or 10% value, so they were operating anywhere from 6.65uF and 7.35uF at best -- well within the range of a 1% 6.8uF cap or a 6.8uF and a .22uF cap combined.

I have a pair of 1985 Marantz SP-1200's that I just refoamed, Mod Podged, and added damping to. They get a lot of crap around here, but I love them. :) I'm currently fabbing interior bracing for them and I'm considering upgrading to the mid and tweeter combo from the SP-1250's.

Don't let anyone give you a hard time.....I modded my Infinity SM-152's which get NO love around here, and they sound great. Bracing, experimented with different levels of fiberfill, feet, etc, and went with higher costing THICKER surrounds, and lemme tell ya, on the IASCA car finals cd I found years ago, they will clobber you with clean sound. Of course it is kinda true...everything you play on that model Infinity sounds like a saxophone. :D

Also modded some cheap Realistic T100's, and to this day, I still miss them. Sold them awhile back.

What is Mod Podged??:scratch2:

Sounds like he meant that he "tweaked" them. A sort of "Hodge-Podge" if you will. :scratch2: , but unless he chimes in again to tell us, I guess we will never know.
Introducing my Latest Find, the Last of two designs by Ed May, made only one year, shortly before his unexpected death in 1980, The Model 600:
Believe me, they sound every bit as good as they look.
Picture248-1.jpg

Picture314.jpg

Picture249-1.jpg

I have these pictured in other threads, but I thought they would be neat to add to the main Marantz Speaker thread. :)

Back
Top Bottom