Marantz speaker owners???

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Zinker, Dec 11, 2006.

1. kambone2000

kambone2000 New Member

only set of marantz speakers i have ever owned. seemingly 80's junk (not heavy when you lift them) but they sound surprisingly decent.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Too Much Power!

Sweet, blt4fun! 940's are the cat's meow of vintage Marantz, and one of the rarest to date. You better get something a huge leap above that 240 amp, as it is only capable of delivering a fraction of the 940's 300 watts RMS power handling ability.

Kambone, even though they are perceived as 80's junk, as long as they sound nice, that's all that matters. They look cool nonetheless. Enjoy them! :thmbsp:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. kambone2000

kambone2000 New Member

dude i dont think i have the set of speakers you are referring to. i got these on craigslist as part of a package deal with a full legacy series stereo. the price was good so i thought what the hell i'll try it out. i have too much gear so the components ended up at a friends house and the speakers remain in my hallway with the t-amp hooked up for testing :smoke:

Attached Files:

4. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Too Much Power!

Kam, I know, the 940's I was referring to are in the posting directly above your post that I replied to, from user blt4fun.

5. kambone2000

kambone2000 New Member

OH MAN please excuse my ignorance haha. i am not entirely familiar with marantz speakers, i thought mine were being mistaken for some holy grail classic that looks similar. which is not the case. i would love to hear a pair of 940's now that i have seen you speak so highly of them though

6. blt4fun

blt4fun Active Member

Big tuna: any recommendations on which amp the 940's were designed for? What kind of price would the 940's sell for today?

7. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Too Much Power!

Hi blt4fun, the 940's were built to run with the 2500, 2600, 500 and the 510M. They were Marantz's highest power handling speakers at the time, preceeded by the HD88, which are also 300 Watts. My Bad, I thought your amp was below 100 WPC but it's not. You should be fine and have enough power to drive the 940's to comfortable levels quite easily, just don't drive the amp into clipping/distortion. The 940's price range is all over the map. The appropriate forum for questions of value is the "Dollars & Sense" forum. Average price for a nice set of 940's is approx. $500, providing they are original and intact with Vari-Q plugs and original woofers, and as long as original woofers have not been refoamed incorrectly. Incorrectly refoamed woofers and/or missing/broken parts, or mechanical/physical damage degrades the value of them considerably.

8. blt4fun

blt4fun Active Member

Thanks big tuna. Not looking to sell just curious. Everything is fully intact with these speakers. I had them hooked up to my 140 and didn't really like the sound but with the 240 they are much better. I guess I will need too find a 500 or 510m to really get them pumping.

9. amuzed

amuzed New Member

I love this thread discussion! Still listening to my Imperial 9s, all original. I'm just afraid the speaker cones are so fragile, however, they still sound great even when I crank them up.
    I do find myself wondering about the worth of rebuilding them with new cones..etc. But I love the sound.

10. Thomas53

Thomas53 Old Hippie

Rebuild them, I've got an original set and they are awesome speakers.

11. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Too Much Power!

How are the speaker cones fragile? Have they got some sort of damage? I hate being the bearer of bad news but you can no longer find NOS woofer cones for the Imperial woofers. Only thing available are aftermarkets, and you will not like the results. I've been there, done that. The original cones are resonance matched to the cabinets, and the replacement cones are not. Are the Surrounds deteriorated on your mids & Woofers? If that's the case, then you can restore that part easily back to original, while still retaining their original sound quality & looks. I would love to see some pictures of your 9's. :yes:

12. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man? Subscriber

There really is no reason to re-cone those unless they are physically damaged. If done properly, the only difference from original would be the color, black instead of blue.
    Best bet is to re-foam them, put new capacitors in the crossovers, and de-oxit the L-pads.

13. blt4fun

blt4fun Active Member

Anyone ever heard of the 1030 speakers, made in Canada?

14. rocmon

rocmon New Member

The 940's have very beautiful cabinets. I had a pair for a while and I would crank my 2325 and really blast them. The bass for me, just wasn't there. They were very nice sounding, but I traded mine in for a pair of Altecs.

15. blt4fun

blt4fun Active Member

I find that too, a little lacking in the bass. Maybe I don't have enough power too drive them hard enough.

16. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Too Much Power!

Hmmm, you might pull wofers and check the polyfill inside cabinets. With age & over time, the polyfill becomes dislodged, disoriented and can have a profound effect on the bass response. You might try to run them with Vari-Q's removed. That will increase the bass response by 2dB's.

One thing I know for sure is that all my Marantz speakers are definitely not lacking in the bass dept.

17. wyaldbill

wyaldbill New Member

marantz 1030 speakers distinction series

I picked up a pair of 1030's from the Marantz Distinction Series, made in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. 20 bucks. Nice sound with Vinyl, on HK930 twin or Bryston 3B/1B combo. Any info on year of manufacture or specs would be very much appreciated. I have many other speaks but I'll be keeping (or hiding) these as well. I'm an HK twin fan but I am going to try a marantz just for comparison sake. Who knows....:scratch2:

Attached Files:

18. blt4fun

blt4fun Active Member

I have a pair of the 1030's as well, can not find any info at all about them. I just refoamed mine and really like them.

19. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

What's fragile about them? Those blue paper CTS cones are quite tough, in my experience.

20. wyaldbill

wyaldbill New Member

Yeah BLT mine were dusty but foam and overall condition were great once cleaned up. I too searched hi and low on the net but all I come up with is the "any info on these speakers" line...

They really do sound well balanced although I havent given them any power blasts on my bryston - as I don't know what they are rated - but on my hk 330a they sound very vintage warm...:thmbsp:

I played "Hello I'm Johnny Cash" album, and "Foreigner 4" album and wasn't moved at all to pick up the tone arm before the side was over. - UNLIKE some nasty :thumbsdn:hitachi HS371 speakers I got for dirt!- some body please take them from me... I don't even think they'd sound good by the campfire. unless they were crackling away ON the campfire. Ha!