Marantz speakers - any worth listening to?

johnnm

Audio Enthusiast
Did Marantz manufacture any speakers that were worth listening to? I've heard Pioneer made a few good ones in their HPM line as well as the CS-99a, but don't really know much about any Marantz speakers. Any models in particular to keep an eye out for?

Member kfa888 owns a pair of Imperial 9´s. They look really impressive, and kelly, having a deep knowledge about many sorts of different speakers, swears by them.

These are not his actual Imperial 9´s:

Imperial9.jpg

The Imperial (and x-G, same thing, different grilles) line is very, very nice, with the possible exception of the Imp 7 which was designed by marketing to take on the JBL L100. I have a pair of 8-Gs that will leave my presence when removed from my cold, dead fingers. As mentioned above, the M, HD and DS series are also very well-regarded.

There are quite a few threads around on the good Marantz speakers. Try the Google search box on the "Search" drop-down at the top of any AK page.

In 1977 while stationed In Alaska I bought one of the best pair of speaker systems I ever owned to this day. The Marantz HD-88's

I'll never forget those amazing beautys. Stupidly and regretibly, I sold them when I got to Colorado. I have been searching for a pair and will find some one day I do hope and with those original foam grills

I will chime in for my regard to Marantz speakers :D

Heck yes there are Marantz speakers worth listening to!

mostly vintage M, HD, DS series and Imperials, as our fellow AKers have stated above. The other ones (SP series) that came later were ok, just nowhere near as good as them. Pay particular attention to the fact that all the good Marantzs were made in USA :D

my collection includes, 3 pairs HD770, HD77, HD66, HD880, SP1500, Model 7 MKII, M10, & DS920

I will say that another line of Marantz's worth listening to are the MKII series which were the HD/DS woofers and mids with a Imperialesque type cone tweeter with very clean highs. My Model 7 MKII's are right on par with the HD770-77's. The thing with the Model 7 MKII's is the cabinets are vinyl veneer and they do not have the bass port with Vari-Q's, hence they are strictly suspension enclosures. Nor do they have the L-pads or shiny aluminum rings. Be weary of vintage ones for sale and the seller is unwilling to divulge the fact that something may be wrong with them, all the while saying they "sound great". They almost always play dumb. I've bought some before only to find that one or two of the drivers are blown, after the seller said, oh yeah they sound great. :(

I've always enjoyed their speakers. Having DIYed speakers for years I can appreciate the effort that went into the final product. I also would refresh the caps and connections inside the speakers. Some of these used electrolytic caps, which have since dried out. Nichicon makes a great ES series non polar cap. Or go for a Solen film. Try both I say.

charles

wait! it just dawned on me, the Model 7 MKII's DO have L-pads, they are on the backside above terminal plugs. It's been so long since I seen mine, I forgot about them, heheheh! :D

Member kfa888 owns a pair of Imperial 9´s. They look really impressive, and kelly, having a deep knowledge about many sorts of different speakers, swears by them.

Imperial9.jpg

Those are my imperial 9s :yes:

They dont garner much respect from the horn/ribbon crowd, but they are a very well balanced speaker system that has a rather nice sound stage and pretty sweet mid range. I need to rebuild the crossovers in mine, as well as raise them up from the ground, but they have plenty of potential.

3468682963_887b42533e_b.jpg

I have the factory bases for my 8s. They could stand to be a bit higher, but getting them off of the floor does help.

I've got two pairs of Imperial 6s (one set are the G), as well as a pair of Imperial 5Gs. The 6's used to be stacked and run with an NAD 7225PE, but right now they're just stored. The 5Gs are used in my computer room, with a 2226B receiver. My plan is to use them in an upcoming home theater setup with the 6s as mains and centers, with the 5s as surrounds.

(Can't say how excited I am to hear that the new Oppo Blu-ray player has variable analogue outputs with a level control on the remote - it makes upgrading my vintage system to multi-channel so much easier!)

HD-880s.
My buddy had an all Marantz setup back in the late '70s, can't remember the models but it was an int amp, TT, and deck with the 880s.
It was perfect for what we were into then - ACDC, Van Halen, etc. Very loud, very clean, very rich.
Ah, memories.
Buddy's been gone for 11 years. Still haven't been able to ask his wife what became of that gear.

Imperial9.jpg

Oh, man! I think I need to put my Imperial 9s back into the rotation.:music:

WOW - looks like you would need a fork lift to move 'em!
But I bet they DO sound sweet. I would never have the
room for those. I'll stick with my DCM Timewindow 1As for now.
I've never had the room for LARGE speakers, but have always
wanted to try some.....

WOW - looks like you would need a fork lift to move 'em!
But I bet they DO sound sweet. I would never have the
room for those. I'll stick with my DCM Timewindow 1As for now.
I've never had the room for LARGE speakers, but have always
wanted to try some.....

I don't know about the 9s, but my 8s are close to 75 lbs. each without the bases. It was a workout hauling them inside.

Back
Top Bottom