Marantz sr-14ex compared to a Marantz sr7005

Aj1735

I know that both of these are older but I have a couple of questions to people who have possibly had both. I am going through my 2 systems and selling some equipment to get some cash to buy a lsa statement integrated amp from a friend of mine and need some advice. I already have a Marantz sr-14ex receiver that I like but I am only using it as a pre amp with my upgraded Yamaha m 80 amp for 2 channel listening. My same friend has a Marantz sr7005 for sale for 200 and I'm guessing that I could get more than that for my sr-14ex. So basically that's my question which would have better sound. I know the sr7005 would have more newer options but I don't know if I have to have them all or not. I am using an oppo bdp-103d player with that system and I was originally thinking that I could still use the Yamaha m 80 amp with the internal sr-14ex amp for a 7.1 system. I am not huge into movies but I like to hear good sound from them when we do watch them. I actually will use the system probably the most for just more 2 channel listening. I am going to be selling my Integra dhc 9.9 pre amp and rotel rb-991 and rb-985 mkII amps that I really like and I think that they sound great. That is my current theater system but trying to get some cash to get the new amp so I have to let some of my gear go.

Any advice is much appreciated Thanks

I know that both are older but I am hoping that there are some opinions out there. I know that the sr-14ex was supposed to have been an all out flagship and didn't know if it would still be a very nice performer compared to the sr7005.

I personally prefer the older totl receivers some fall in the Uber receiver category, although I have not owned either of the receivers you mentioned I would lean towards the SR-14 and you can still get DTS-HD and Dolby True audio by utilizing the analog outs on your 103d so that would make your SR-14 still relevant. Now if you just want something newer than sure the 7005 is a newer receiver with more bells and whistles so it would be the obvious choice there . The only way to know for sure if a piece of gear is right for you or not is to take that chance and give it a listen , sometimes you loose and sometimes you win .

Audiofreak71

The biggest virtues of the newer 7005 are HDMI 1.4a and Audyssey MultEQ XT. It also includes a full set of preamp outs which gives you an alternative because the SR-14 has Power Amp in/preamp outs. This gives you the option of using 7005 as a home theater preamp with the SR-14 as a power amp.

Personally I wouldn't give up the SR 14. It listed for $4700 in 2000 and weighed 58 lbs indicating a beefy power supply vs. the 7005 which comes in at 1/2 that with 29 lbs and listed for $1600 in 2010. I do think the Audyssey room eq useful as well as the ability to get Dolby True HD and DTS HD with one connection as opposed to 5 or 7 with the Oppo. You also lose the ability to use the Audyssey this way.

You might also look at Accessoriesforless for recent refurb models. I've bought 2 AV receivers from them with no problems, a Marantz SR-5007 and a Denon AVR-3300 for about 1/2 their original list.

I have been traveling for work a lot lately and I haven't even had a chance to get them hooked up yet to try them compared to each other I like the sr-14ex but I still will have to figure out how to get it hooked up to the oppo and also use it for a preamp for my Yamaha m 80 amp and then use the receiver power for the other 5 channels and then have a 7.1 system I'm pretty sure that I read that it will be able to do it . The little bit of time I've had lately I've been trying to play with my lsa statement amp I just got in my 2 channel system.

Back
Top Bottom