Marantz sr5006

thumper69

I'm not thinking about woofers.
I really like the sr5006, I just wish it had an on board phone pre amp. My main speakers are 1976 OLA, and *sometimes* a25s. With Polk center and dynaco A10s for rears. No sub, although I do have a JBL 12" Powerbass if I wanted to use it. My question is this. Currently, I have the Marantz pre outs going to a single Crown d150a series 2 amp and it sounds fine, but I want more headroom. I am thinking of swapping out the Crown for 2 Marantz ma500 monobloc, one for each front speaker. I rarely if ever even engage the surround speakers, mostly we listen to everything in 2 channel stereo only. Would this increase in power make a difference in sound at low to moderate volumes? We are happy with the sound at loud levels, the advents really sound good and the crown pushes them great but at low volumes we would like to have a little more punch without using an EQ. Do you think that this would help?

Not really. I've farted around with HT receivers and was never able to get really good stereo qualities.

A HT is good at what it was make for. Unfortunately it wasn't really good stereo sound. I would "assume" that is because the processing chip processes and divides the signal up to the point of sucking the fun out. Subwoofers were the fix as well as it's curse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom