Marantz static issue

Jnye0526

Hello!

So I recently picked up a Marantz 2238b that I bought with the understanding that it was in perfect working condition. When I got it home and hooked it up I was getting this static like noise from the speakers while listening to the tuner. I then ran my turntable through the aux and I got the same static. I ran my TV through the tape 2 input and my phone through the tape 1 monitor input and found I was still getting this static noise. Although, I noticed that when I slightly pushed in the tape 1 monitor switch I got a much clearer fuller sound but as soon as I lock the switch in it went straight back to the duller, static-y sound. While I'm sure there could be an array of reasons for this static....long story short, is it possible that cleaning the pots and switches could clear this up?

It’s possible that a cleaning is in order but it could be other things, was it cleaned prior to you getting it? Your turntable should be in phono not aux btw.

It’s possible that a cleaning is in order but it could be other things, was it cleaned prior to you getting it? Your turntable should be in phono not aux btw.

It hadn’t been cleaned. The original owner said it’s just been sitting around collecting dust for years.

I ran my turntable through the aux because I already have a dedicated preamp. I just assumed I wouldn’t want to go preamp to preamp. Unless there’s a way to bypass the built in preamp. It’d be a nice little bonus to be able to utilize the phono input.

If it a good phono pre then bypass the Marantz one , if it’s a cheap phono pre the built in Marantz one would be better. I’d start with cleaning and see if it makes a difference.

Tape monitor switch is notorious for noise when it needs cleaning. Deoxit with lots of in-out operation should eliminate it if that is the source.

Back
Top Bottom