Marantz Twenty two Followed me Home

Nucities

Im not normally a Marantz guy but came across a Twenty Two with wood case at a thrift store for $40. They said it "didn't work" although it does power on. I figured for this price I'd take the risk. Needs some cosmetic TLC and it's missing two of the push buttons.

Are the buttons on these the same as the push buttons in the 20XX series?

I've never had a Marantz, hoping I can make this one sing again...we will see. I'll post some pics later. If anyone has tips on what the issue might be let me know. I'll plug it in first then do the obligatoray deoxit bath and see what happens.

Im not normally a Marantz guy but came across a Twenty Two with wood case at a thrift store for $40. They said it "didn't work" although it does power on. I figured for this price I'd take the risk. Needs some cosmetic TLC and it's missing two of the push buttons.

Are the buttons on these the same as the push buttons in the 20XX series?

I've never had a Marantz, hoping I can make this one sing again...we will see. I'll post some pics later. If anyone has tips on what the issue might be let me know. I'll plug it in first then do the obligatoray deoxit bath and see what happens.

Detox first, plug in last....the wood case will pay your investment back many fold, same with canabilized parts....in case of disaster.....great purchase..

Detox first, plug in last....the wood case will pay your investment back many fold, same with canabilized parts....in case of disaster.....great purchase..

Happen to know if those push buttons are the same?....if it works I'd like to replace them. There are push buttons o plenty for the 20XX series but I don't see them individually identified for this model.

The wood case of probably 8/10 so we will see what some steel wool and tung oil ca

Well the good news is it works despite what the thrift store said. ....good and strong out of both channels. I've already hit the case with some tung oil and it's cleaning up nicely. Looks like it needs some feet as well...thoughts on those? Can anybody give a Marantz newbie a few tips on how is best to deoxit this thing? Looks like from above is a no go ....the screws on bottom and faceplate are super small and one appears to be stripped ...bummer.

Maybe someone is willing to remove one of the push buttons from their 20XX series to tell me if these are the same? It sound like there are two types used a short version and a long version. I've pictured the type that I need.

Attachments

• IMG_3807.JPG
    IMG_3807.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3808.JPG
    IMG_3808.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3809.JPG
    IMG_3809.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3810.JPG
    IMG_3810.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3811.JPG
    IMG_3811.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 11
I am just getting started on a 2230, so if no one else does, I'll get back with you later in the week, regarding the answers to your questions about the buttons. As far as the feet go, I ordered my restoration kits from irebuildmarantz.com, where they also stock and sell new feet.

Ok I figured out the push buttons, they are the shorter variety but common to the 22xx series. Also got some new feet. Cosmetically this will look very good,

However.....sonically we have some issues. The FM works. AM has a tough time locking in a station but it's OK. The rest of the inputs don't appear to work, lots of static almost like you are in FM but not on a station...you can hear music very faintly if I turn it all the way up on AUX, PHONO and TAPE.

I've given it a pretty good deoxit bath...but maybe I missed something? Any advice? Where to look...I have limited tools and I don't plan to put any dough into it. If I can't get it to work I'll lsell the case and the unit separately as is for parts.

Back
Top Bottom